Roof Paint

cdbrow1

Hi guys...

Recently I had to remove some recalled flexible solar panels (grrr) which resulted in some scratches on the paint on the roof. (this is a 2015 Hawk).

I emailed FWS to see what they recommend as a touch up paint and was told they really don't have a recommendation. The roofs come to them in a big prepainted roll from Europe (make sense).

I figure I can't go too far wrong on a roof - but I wanted to see if anyone had any suggestions.

This is what FWC recommends. Perfect match.

Attachments

• 27c2c402-bfaa-40a9-80c3-1460cb80c716_1000.jpg
    27c2c402-bfaa-40a9-80c3-1460cb80c716_1000.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 200
I beat mine up pretty bad getting my flexible panel off. (as you can see on the attached photo) Since the roof is aluminum and we don't have to worry about rust I am not really concerned, it's just cosmetic.

Attachments

• IMG_0637.JPG
    IMG_0637.JPG
    115.5 KB · Views: 192
SunMan said:
This is what FWC recommends. Perfect match.
That is what I thought, but service would not make a recommendation to me. Glad I guessed right.

rustytinbender said:
I beat mine up pretty bad getting my flexible panel off. (as you can see on the attached photo) Since the roof is aluminum and we don't have to worry about rust I am not really concerned, it's just cosmetic.
I used a metal paint scraper with a handle for leverage. Mine looks about the same, but more scratches. I actually did manage to dent the roof in one spot too (grr). I agree it's just cosmetic, but still want to treat my baby right.

The Rust-Oleum seems pretty good. I have always preferred the "oil based" in the Glossy White.

Using the spray can might make for a smoother texture and final finish (no brush marks).

: )

If you brush it or thin it and spray it I'll recommend adding some of this to the paint: http://hytechsales.com/
Joaquin Suave showed me it after he'd recently painted the roof of Casa Azul using their paint. After a full morning and partial afternoon in the mid-fall sun the roof was cool to the touch. Not ambient, cool.
CA%20rt%20fnt.jpg

ntsqd,

I have been designing and building space-borne instruments for NASA and other Government agencies since 1978. I am familiar with the ceramic beads used in the paint. We do in fact use them in paints used in Space to inhibit conduction of the paint and as a spacer to control the paint thickness. Keep in mind that space is a partial (very good) vacuum and the dominant heat transfer mechanism in space is different than it is on Earth due to the vacuum.

I am dubious of claims about thin insulating paint for terrestrial applications.

I looked on the Hytech sales site and I see no thermal analyses or measurement data. No R value measurements.

They use the word insulating and radiant barrier somewhat interchangeably however, they are two different heat transfer mechanisms.

There are lots of folks touting radiant barriers for all sorts of applications. Mostly their performance is only supported by anecdotal claims with no verifiable data or thermodynamic analysis.

In air, convection and conduction dominate radiant heat transfer by orders of magnitude. However, if one can create a thermal barrier to reject all the thermal energy at the surface the sun is illuminating before it gets into the structure (camper) then there is no need for insulation. Of course there is nothing that will reject 100% of the thermal energy so some insulation will be always be needed.

The best surface would be a smooth, highly polished Silver or Aluminum mirror. In fact we use mirrors on Space-borne equipment to perform this very task. However, keeping the surface mirror like on Earth is non trivial and as the surface becomes less reflective it absorbs more heat.

Painting the roof with smooth white paint is effective and reasonable in cost. White paint generally absorbs less thermal energy than any other color of paint. White paints are also used as thermal control surfaces on Space-borne equipment and they can work well.

Keep in mind that a smooth surface is better than a bumpy surface (we try to make the white paint on our space-borne instruments as smooth as possible starting with a very smooth substrate then applying the paint very carefully with a sprayer).
  1. There is less surface area on a smooth surface (yes, all the bumps add surface area. More surface area means more thermal collection area.
  2. The areas between the bumps reflect thermal energy onto the adjacent bumps which actually increases thermal absorption by the surface.

Here is another opinion on this:

http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/insulating-paint-salesman-tripped-his-own-product

So my advice is save some money and skip the beads. Put your effort into creating a smooth surface to paint with smooth white paint.

Caveat emptor.

Craig

Craig,

+2

We see this all of the time with companies claiming expensive roof coatings will provided added R-Value. We advise our clients to stay away from that stuff and use their funds in a more realistic manner. jd

Looked at from a purely scientific perspective you've likely got a point. Looked at from an incremental change perspective I plan to use something similar when I paint the underside of my current project vehicle. My white car's roof was warmer that day than Casa Azul's roof. Nothing in that page explains that, but it is a desirable goal.

Back
Top Bottom