Rookie In Training--Suspension --Decisions

Fitwon

Advanced Member
I just ordered my Firestone Air Bags (under $90.) for my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 truck (Coil Suspension). I have not decided what size or make camper I am buying yet. So--do any of you veterans have knowledge or thoughts on the most versatile locations for installations of the Firestone air pressure nipples?

I may buy a Hallmark Ute or an Outfitter Caribou 8--both which would hang over my 6' 4" bed--so I would think access would be difficult if I installed the air nipples on the bumper on both sides of the license plate where many locate them.

What do you folks think? I am the Rookie of the moment.

Fitwon2002's first post--what a great site!

Maybe put them on the ends of the bumper where it rounds the bed, like under the taillight?

And where did you find such a good price?

I found them at Rough Country Suspensions for $77.95 plus $8.50 shipping. They mount inside the rear coil springs of my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Quad Cab 4x4.

Air nipple placement? Best one I ever saw was the nipples placed at the license plate frame. If you didn't look you wouldn't know it. One for each side. Nice, clean, stealth.

good luck.
Dave

I put mine on the braces that hold the bumper they are out of the way but accessable. Just drill asmall hole. I have seen them in the wheel wells also.

Air nipple placement? Best one I ever saw was the nipples placed at the license plate frame. If you didn't look you wouldn't know it. One for each side. Nice, clean, stealth.

good luck.
Dave

That's where ours are. Easy access!

I just ordered my Firestone Air Bags (under $90.) for my 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 truck (Coil Suspension). I have not decided what size or make camper I am buying yet. So--do any of you veterans have knowledge or thoughts on the most versatile locations for installations of the Firestone air pressure nipples?

I may buy a Hallmark Ute or an Outfitter Caribou 8--both which would hang over my 6' 4" bed--so I would think access would be difficult if I installed the air nipples on the bumper on both sides of the license plate where many locate them.

What do you folks think? I am the Rookie of the moment.

Fitwon2002's first post--what a great site!

They're called Shrader Valves, you'll find nipples on the south end of a cow.

I've seen them in the plate frame and that seemed okay. I just put them in my wheel well though. There were some holes already available in the body seem that worked perfect, they are up out of the way and easy to get to. I check my tires and airbags at the same time so its one stop on each side rather than another back at the license plate.

The valve is that off white thing in the picture (valve cover).
DSC02846Small.jpg

I've seen them in the plate frame and that seemed okay. I just put them in my wheel well though. There were some holes already available in the body seem that worked perfect, they are up out of the way and easy to get to. I check my tires and airbags at the same time so its one stop on each side rather than another back at the license plate.

DSC02846Small.jpg

Thanks to all who shared knowledge on valve placement. My tiny brain is beginning to understand. After my Air bags arrive, I hope to travel from Central Oregon to Colorado to tour several pop up camper factories and check out some of the used Hallmarks and Outfitters and Phoenixes on the market.

Best to ya all!

Thanks to all who shared knowledge on valve placement. My tiny brain is beginning to understand. After my Air bags arrive, I hope to travel from Central Oregon to Colorado to tour several pop up camper factories and check out some of the used Hallmarks and Outfitters and Phoenixes on the market.

Best to ya all!

I hope you realize that the bags you ordered are coil bags, they won't increase your load capacity much, and they have been known to be troublesome, also the install will require you to remove the coils, kind of a big job for not much gain, you're looking at some heavy campers, and would be much better off with some real RIDE RITE frame mounted bags as opposed to COIL RITE bags, my 2cents, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Thanks for the info Fisherman. I was under the belief that Firestone only makes the "Coil Rite" bags for the 2009 Ram 1500 (Coil springs not leaf spring suspension). The "Ride Rite" bags are only for leaf suspensions. Is that right or not? As most are aware I know very little but enjoy life more that way.

Thanks for the info Fisherman. I was under the belief that Firestone only makes the "Coil Rite" bags for the 2009 Ram 1500 (Coil springs not leaf spring suspension). The "Ride Rite" bags are only for leaf suspensions. Is that right or not? As most are aware I know very little but enjoy life more that way.

Yep, you are correct, I didn't realize you had a 1/2 ton truck, so I stand corrected.

good luck.
Dave

I have mine on the license plate. I looked at putting inside the door to the gas fill. They will stay clean and out of sight. Someone on the site put theirs under the door.

Found picture here
http://media.photobucket.com/image/air%20bag%20valves%20gas%20cover/Toxarch/Tundra%20Pics/Air%20Bags/P2210012Medium.jpg

Bill

DSC02846Small.jpg

Because of where I drive, I would be afraid that the valves would soon become unserviceable in that location, what with all the dirt and grime the tires would through onto them. Your mileage me differ.

Because of where I drive, I would be afraid that the valves would soon become unserviceable in that location, what with all the dirt and grime the tires would through onto them. Your mileage me differ.

I see no difference between it and a normal tire valve. If you keep the covers on them the valve portion stays clean, I don't care if the rest of the stem gets grimy.

Also its hard to tell depth perception on the photo but they are not directly in the plane of the tire either. That seem is closer to the frame rail than the tire.

Back
Top Bottom