RotoPax on FWC Hawk?

XJINTX

OK, we just returned from trip where I had to carry extra fuel (diesel). I used my cargo rack on RakAttach swingout. The Cargo Rack sucks for departure angle. Wife was with me and agrees I should get RotoPax or like. Looking for how those that have done so... how they mounted them. How much should I actually hang on the Hawk? Can it support the weight properly? I've seen Jerry cans and such but not the RotoPax

I would chat with FWC to ensure there is an aluminum frame plate that will support the weight of the Rotopax. I think there is a build thread that shows the plate before the skin was installed. I'll try and find that.

If you don't have the framing, you could carry the Rotopax cans on the roof.

Found it... This is Ski3Pin's Bobcat frame, you can see the wide plate mid way up door frame.

image.jpeg

Click on this link to see a picture of the RotoPax I mounted on my Grandby:

my mods

No need to mount it on the aluminum frame - I think that would be difficult to do. I did most of the work from the outside refrigerator access panel. I had to pull the refrigerator out on the inside just a bit to make room to work - remove screws on on refrigerator frame inside camper. You might have to unplug refrigerator from AC. Refrigerator should pull out with not much effort. You might have to lift it a little as you pull it as it may catch on the bottom lip. Drilled four holes through the back - FWC uses high quality plywood. Carriage bolts that came with the RotoPax were too short (rear wall is TWO INCHES thick!). 2.5" carriage bolts were perfect size. Used silicone caulk on carriage bolts to protect plywood from any possible water damage. I used aluminum washers to build up area between the aluminum siding and the RotoPax mount. This was to compensate for the ribbing of the aluminum siding - I didn't want to squash the siding as I tightened the nuts. I used the optional back plate for the RotoPax to alleviate stress on the plywood - washers would work equally as well. Be sure to position RotoPax so it does not interfere with the door when in latched open position. Don't forget to plug refrigerator back in.

Good luck.

TacoTruck said:
I plan on making rotopax bracket that mounts off the camper jack brackets.
One of the main features of the RotoPax is that it locks in place and makes theft difficult. Make sure you create a mount that can't be easily removed by thieves.

I bolted a 1/4" aluminum plate to the right rear jack mount and the lower rear step ( the bolt goes through the plate, and through the step) and attached a 5 gallon Jerry can holder to that (and a bottle opener!) I also have an Aluminess bumper and have a 2 gallon Rotopax can mounted on the back of the Aluminess galley box and I keep another one inside. That gives me 9 extra gallons of diesel. The aluminum plate could easily support a lot more than 5 gallons.

I needed extra gas to get to one of my chukar hunting spots. I built this hitch mounted carrier that will carry two 4 gal rotopax. I also made it a camper step.
I didn't want to attach them to the camper. having the camper hold the weight is one thing but you also have thrust. When off roading the truck goes over stuff and drops into holes bounces sideways in all different directions. The weight of the fuel and container is thrown in every which a way. I might be leaning to the side of ultra conservative but I have seen how this kind of thing plays out. You tie a 4 wheeler to a trailer and drive down very rough roads. I have broken the racks on my ATV, I have broken the frames on my pontoon boats from bouncing/thrust, and stop. I don't plan to mount anything to the camper that FWC didn't intend for it to be there.
I use this hitch mounted unit a couple times a year.

img_168867_0_b011acc5a6973de4dc5761dbb32d51bf.jpg

img_168867_2_ce58ef4ddc4feb66514efcc9b8dad16b.jpg

img_168867_4_b9987ea39128eeadbc5db64a676cd6c9.jpg

I also was seeking options to add more of a fuel reserve. In a perfect world, I would have a swing out bumper with 5 extra gallons of both water and fuel. Unfortunately, there isn't currently anything in production for my truck, and even if there were, I'm not sure I can justify the expense.

I ended up ordering a 5 gallon Jerry Can, fuel carrier and bracket from AT overland last week. I made a couple minor modifications, but overall it is very nice and easy to install:

Attachments

• IMG_1465.JPG
    IMG_1465.JPG
    100.8 KB · Views: 269
To those of you with rotopax, do you vent daily or with change in altitude. Also any leakage or failures .
Thanks Russ

CougarCouple said:
To those of you with rotopax, do you vent daily or with change in altitude. Also any leakage or failures .
Thanks Russ
Keep them full of fuel when ever possible as well as jerry cans and altitude does not effect them like when empty. I've been leaving caps slightly loose when empty heading down from elevation to central valley California on rotopax and jerry cans from Jeeping trips. I have seen jerry cans when empty going from 10k' to 50' in elevation look like a crushed beer can.

CougarCouple said:
Thanks Russ
I have never vented and have experienced no leaks, even leaving it full all summer.

I did replace the "eco freindly" nozzle (the one that takes 3 hands and leaks all over when you try to use it) with their simpler nozzle that actually works. Pretty sure I got that from Amazon.

Thank you for all the response's. Saw a bad write up and figured better to ask users, than believe what I read on the internet.( some how that doesn't sound correct) thanks again.
Going to order the 3 gallon one.
Russ

Back
Top Bottom