Route Plan for 1st time solo female

A quick route would be the slant or button hook. Post routes take longer and you need better protection. Yards after catch can make a big difference :p

I can't offer any advice on routes but I do think its more the novice vs. experienced explorer rather than anything gender related.

My older sister just finished a ten day high sierra trail backpacking trip. She took my advice and got an inreach. Not only did I feel safer but it was fun following along as she posted updates. Not cheap but peace of mind for both of you.

Yah, when (not if) I go FT again on the road, I'll get an InReach. I really liked the security the SPOT gave me when I was out of cell signal areas, but having the ability to have some two-way communication would be better. (and yah, with both can set it to track you so that friends and family can follow along, or get worried if you are in one location and not communicating for longer than planned.)

Oh, and I totally second Cayuse's recommendation of going through Utah! :-D

We are familiar with spot but not with inreach. After checking it out I really like it. I work on ships and have, in the past, done research on it iridium phones. The deterrent was trying to find a decent plan that didn't break the bank. Inreach may be the answer. Thanks for the tip.

The project today is to get 2 routes (primary and alternate) laid out based on everyone's input. Thanks again.

My last minute 2 cents...years ago my bff moved from Portland OR to Oklahoma City and we drove the route, didn't have a lot of time ( but two drivers helped of course. ) Went through eastern OR spent a night in Ogden Utah....another in Zion National Park...stayed just outside and drove through either the Hopi or Navajo Nation - years ago, can't remember exactly... Flagstaff...Santa Fe..then through Texas. We were in a car and my friend was handicapped so we took main roads/interstates and checked in with her mother every night hahaha. That said it was an EPIC trip, we stayed in motels of course, but I'd do it again in a second with the camper, that exact route too.

Of course weather being a factor around Flagstaff, for example. Squally weather could be a factor on the Oregon/Norcal coast that time of year, farther south coastal traffic could be a pain. Either way is gorgeous and weather is a coin toss.

She'll have a blast! Feel free to pm me if you have any questions.

As a "female"who has traveled solo for many years now (and gotten herself into plenty of trouble) I can appreciate the concern at the same time I kind of cringe at the idea that being a "female"somehow limits me to certain routes.

You're a good man, windy. And I understand your concern.

And I would not necessarily recommend Hwy 395 at that time of year unless we have a winter that is late in coming. I drive it all the time but I have been doing it for 20+ years. It could be incredible but it could be hellish in a storm. I also would think twice about the California coast but that is because I can have panic attacks in traffic and the coast route, unless you plan a lot of zigging and zagging, inevitably involves the SF bay area. I think a lot of it depends on what you are accustomed to. I'll take a blizzard on 395 over 4 lanes of bumper to bumper on 101 any day.

Hello all
Have had several conversation about this and now hear what others picked up on with the use of female in the subject line.
I did not read it like you said originally, hear it now. I dot think windy ment it like that either. Don't think any of the suggestions did either. Wasn't trying to stir the pot , but glad I posted what I did because I learned something.
Thanks for the comments Hoyden and teledork. Sorry if I offend anyone so please accept my apology.
Not able to help on a ot of the routes from your neck of the woods. Can tell you that we picked up our camper from Marty early January this year when Reno was hit with that big storm road from Reno was clear but lots of snow all around. From Fallon south all the way back on 95 to Vegas, was great.
Russ

Depending on where you hit Texas, one option if coming through the panhandle / Llano Estacado region you have three state parks in route to Dallas. Palo Duro Canyon (2nd largest Canyon in the US), Caprock Canyons (home of Texas State Bison herd), and Coppers Break (portion of Texas Longhorn herd). I would rank them in the order listed above. Have fun and welcome to Texas.

Just got a call from friends in Vegas. Mod #1 in progress. Also picked up a Garmin in reach. Worth the $$ just for her piece of mind. Thanks for the tip Steve. She has also decided to take the Land Cruiser rather than the Tacoma and camper. She feels more self contained and in control. Not as much stuff to remember or keep up with.

Windy, I think you'll both like the InReach. The biggest problem (at least my biggest problem) is disciplining yourself to use it regularly. There is a bit of a learning curve, but it's not bad.

windy said:
Just got a call from friends in Vegas. Mod #1 in progress. Also picked up a Garmin in reach. Worth the $$ just for her piece of mind. Thanks for the tip Steve. She has also decided to take the Land Cruiser rather than the Tacoma and camper. She feels more self contained and in control. Not as much stuff to remember or keep up with.
Right on! That all sounds great! I look forward to y'alls trip report (and inReach review....)!

Interesting thread...
I have concerns when my wife travels alone but I don't see that as sexist ...just a loving spouse. She does the same for me.

Another plus one for the inReach. We used it on our trip to the Canadian Maritime and found it very useful. We are making plans to take it to Africa next year.

Eddie...when I go to Africa, Asia (such as PI, VN and other remote locations) I carry my inReach as well.

But I also rent an Iridium 9575 SAT phone. Plug in all the numbers you need before leaving home, ie., US DoS, DAN (Diver's Alert Network) medical desk and any other applicable/important numbers. I've rented for 3 separate trips and have yet to ever turn it on. I consider it cheap insurance.

InReach is limited to texting and depending on the injury, that may prove problematic. Plus, there may be times the injury is time critical and talking to another human can make all the difference.

I've been a DAN member for nearly 4 decades. Service goes well beyond diving and diving injuries to include travel and medivac insurance. More info here if interested.

I read this thread with interest, both because of the route and because I am a 62 year old women. I acquired my truck and FWC because I usually travel and camp alone or with my dogs. As I grew older, I began to feel more vulnerable tent camping. I felt that the camper provided the extra security I needed to feel safe. I see two sides to this issue. On the one hand, women's actions should not be limited by their gender. I insist upon and embrace the freedom to camp and hike in backcountry, campgrounds and Walmart parking lots. On the other hand, as the #metoo postings once again remind us, sexual assault and sexual harassment of women is a fact of life. For my own self-preservation and protection, I must acknowledge this and be vigilant. Raising daughters, I have struggled to both empower my daughters and to teach them vigilance. It is a difficult balancing act. I, for one, appreciate men who support a woman's independence while also acknowledging the gender-related dangers that we face.

la_morris said:
I read this thread with interest, both because of the route and because I am a 62 year old women. I acquired my truck and FWC because I usually travel and camp alone or with my dogs. As I grew older, I began to feel more vulnerable tent camping. I felt that the camper provided the extra security I needed to feel safe. I see two sides to this issue. On the one hand, women's actions should not be limited by their gender. I insist upon and embrace the freedom to camp and hike in backcountry, campgrounds and Walmart parking lots. On the other hand, as the #metoo postings once again remind us, sexual assault and sexual harassment of women is a fact of life. For my own self-preservation and protection, I must acknowledge this and be vigilant. Raising daughters, I have struggled to both empower my daughters and to teach them vigilance. It is a difficult balancing act. I, for one, appreciate men who support a woman's independence while also acknowledging the gender-related dangers that we face.
<3

While we all know there are others experiencing similar circumstances as ourselves, it is always comforting to hear them vocalize their experiences as well. Thank you all.

It is everyone sharing their experiences that provides motivation to others!

Well I’m fairly new to this site but have been a solo female traveler for quite a while and I’m 60. I didn’t realize there were so many other solo female adventure seekers as well! Refreshing and exciting. I’ve camped in out of the way places along the border in Southern Arizona to Alaska. Yes. You have to not only be aware of your surroundings because of the terrain but in some because you are female. However I do agree that sometimes I get advice from people who think because I’m a woman I need “special” assistance. I also use an InReach whenever I travel. I would suggest that no matter what gender you are for sure! Love this site. Tons of valuable information.

Luckytibbs said:
Well I’m fairly new to this site but have been a solo female traveler for quite a while and I’m 60. I didn’t realize there were so many other solo female adventure seekers as well! Refreshing and exciting. I’ve camped in out of the way places along the border in Southern Arizona to Alaska. Yes. You have to not only be aware of your surroundings because of the terrain but in some because you are female. However I do agree that sometimes I get advice from people who think because I’m a woman I need “special” assistance. I also use an InReach whenever I travel. I would suggest that no matter what gender you are for sure! Love this site. Tons of valuable information.
Welcome to the site! I agree, the members are great...

Back
Top Bottom