Sanitizing water containers

Moose Dog

Hi everyone -

I’ve recently come across some water containers that look handy, but want to double check how best to sanitize them. Generally what I’ve heard is initial wash with water and dish soap, then one teaspoon bleach to one gallon ( or quart - gotta look up again ), rinse about/sit for at least 10 min, rinse with clean water...

This sound about right or is there a ‘best’ version? FYI solid built containers, stored dry, good condition, but been sitting for a long time. Found variations on a theme online so I’m fishing here. Thanks!

It doesn't take much bleach. But that's what I use to clean most any water containers that aren't regularly used.

I have a couple of older Rubbermaid plastic Jerry cans that I use from time to time. The sit around more than they are used. Your description above is pretty much what I do. Wash and rinse them with hot water and dish soap. Then fill with hot water and a little bleach and let them sit overnight. Then rinsed with cold water.

Back when I constantly rode bicycles did pretty much the same with plastic water bottles regularly.

The CDC recommends the following:

Before filling with safe water, use these steps to clean and sanitize water storage containers:
  1. Wash the storage container with dishwashing soap and water and rinse completely with clean water.
  2. Sanitize the container with a solution made by mixing 1 teaspoon of unscented liquid household chlorine bleach in one quart of water.
  3. Cover the container and shake it well so that the sanitizing bleach solution touches all inside surfaces of the container.
  4. Wait at least 30 seconds and then pour the sanitizing solution out of the container.
  5. Let the empty sanitized container air-dry before use OR rinse the empty container with clean, safe water that is available already.

ref: https://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/emergency/drinking/cleaning-preparing-storage-containers.html

Craig

For those who are interested in sanitizing a 20 gal tank in a used camper they bought or one that has set for some time...

A first wash-out with Dawn dishwashing liquid/water (not too much Dawn here!) and a drive around town with a few turns with the tank filled up about 85% or so to take advantage of any "sloshing" around to clean out "stuff" that may have accumulated. Then dump the solution and fill to rinse and dump it/

Next, you need to use an appropriate mixture of bleach & water....adding the bleach first and topping off to FULL the tank. Then drive around over the course of a day to agitate the mixture and then dump it. It has been suggested elsewhere to repeat the same exercise a second time and then after draining the mixture yet again....fill the tank to "rinse" it and drain it and ....voila! You should have a safe water tank.

You can save the "rinse" water for plants as the remains of the Dawn and the bleach will be diluted enough, but the soapy water and the bleach solution should probably be used for cleaning the driveway or disposed of away from plants and animals.

This is the time to check all the fittings to/from the tank for leaks...cracked hoses replaced and broken valves replaced before getting ready for your next excursion.

good info. I imagine the process is the same when de-winterizing? I have RV anti-freeze in my Hawk right now...

I would like to point out that not all "bleach" products are appropriate for sanitizing and disinfecting. You should check the label to make sure there are directions for cleaning and sanitizing vs the label below which is from Clorox Splash-less. There are a lot more products on the shelf to choose from, and they do different things. Also, the shelf life of an opened bottle is less than a year. Definitely a task that should be done correctly.

Attachments

• Clorox Splash Label.jpg
    Clorox Splash Label.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 230
When it's time to de-winterize the camper and clean it out, consider if you should fill the tank enough so that it drains out of the "overflow tube" (if your tank has one...) so that the bleach/water concentration can clean out any critters that have set up house in there over the winter and who may contaminate your water after they give birth to the next generation of critters.

Nothing like getting water from the tank and finding some floating "things" in there that you KNOW weren't in the cup/glass you used!

Thanks for the double-check ya'll....clean water being rather important for some reason...

I did not know about the 1yr-open info or double checking the label. Good info! As for critters coming out the water...GAH.

Might be a good idea to insure your fresh water inlet has a threaded plug in it. Also, you can make a wooden plug for the overflow tube (and ice box drain if you have one) out of some dowel of the right size to keep critters from entering the system during the winter and during non-use times during the season...making sure you have a check list for them when you need them to function!

If you don't have a greywater tank and your sink just drains via a hose...a plug to prevent access by critters that way might be a good idea as well.

Regarding Star San - for anyone not familiar with this product be sure to read the instructions here:

http://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/StarSanTech-HB2.pdf

It is a fine product intended for commercial environments however, using it in a non-stainless steel kitchen environment should be done with care:

Of particular note:

"It is not recommended to use STAR SAN on soft metals because of the acid nature of this product." (i.e. it is an acid and can oxidize, etch or partially dissolve Aluminum, Copper, Nickle plated pot metals, etc - particularly if left on too long).

"DANGER: Corrosive to skin and eye, contains Phosphoric Acid. Harmful if swallowed. Do not get in eyes, on skin or on clothing. Wear protective goggles and clothing when using. Avoid contamination of food. DO NOT MIX STAR SAN WITH CHLORINATED CLEANERS AS CHLORINE GAS WILL RESULT." (e.g. Ajax, Comet, etc)

Hmm, thanks for pointing that out. Honestly, works great when brewing beer and just thought it should work fine for the water containers. Should have read the directions! Going to edit my other post.

Back
Top Bottom