Sawtooths

There have been a few comments about it in unrelated threads so it's just chatter at this point. Did you have an idea about that?

Just thinking that I hadn't been there in a while and hadn't spent enough time there either. I don't really know enough in detail to make good suggestions for camping or hiking. What are others thinking?

Stew

I'm leaving tomorrow for the Warners but lets pick this up when i get back. Any ideas welcome in the meantime. Would early September be too late in the season for this area?

There has also been some talk about the Sawtooths.

Idaho would definitely be a shorter drive than Arizona (such as the North Rim) for me...not that shorter is better, just easier. And more-likely something I could do without making it a major chunk of vacation.

I spent a week around Stanley & the Sawtooths last summer over the 4th of July... and I would love to go back anytime. Heck, I would love to live there! I'm watching this thread for details....

From July 2009 -

748658630_y35g9-O.jpg

701852980_qnhDq-O.jpg

748658679_wz7bX-O.jpg

I spent a week around Stanley & the Sawtooths last summer over the 4th of July... and I would love to go back anytime. Heck, I would love to live there! I'm watching this thread for details....

Wow -- those photos make it look better than I remember it...but it was raining the last time I went through that country.
wink.gif

Looks like you had a "postcard-day" visit -- thanks for the photos.

Thanks Mark. I got really lucky with good weather last summer.

I first visited Stanley in '95, and after gettting my FWC years ago I was desperate to return... However on my first attempt to go back in '05, I got snowed out. On my second attempt in '06, I bumped into Dirty Dog on the side of the road near Salmon, (ok... I chased him down for 5 miles after recognizing his truck & FWC passing me...) but he had just come from Stanley and he mentioned there was a heavy haze from numerous forest fires in the area. So I passed... Same thing happened in '07 - too many fires and in '08 as well.

The only drawback to visiting Idaho for me has been the fires and/or bad weather over the last few years. If there are no fires burning and the weather is good, it really is a rocky mountain paradise. :cool:

Yep, KC, your photos urge me to return to the Sawtooths.

The times I've been through Stanley in the winter, it has been chrystal clear. Maybe we should plan a winter rally :)

What about early October? September is out for me

Cort

You don't determine rally schedule. Rally schedule determines you.

Yeah Yeah......you asked for opinions and so you got one!

I have way to much on my plate work wise to pull anything off in October. Well anyways just a suggestions cause I would really love to get out to the Sawtooths.

Cort

Yeah Yeah......you asked for opinions and so you got one!

I have way to much on my plate work wise to pull anything off in October. Well anyways just a suggestions cause I would really love to get out to the Sawtooths.

Cort

Maybe we can do something in your area in October. Sawtooths probably not ideal location for that late in the year.

Anyone have opinions on the Sawtooths in early to mid September?

Should be amazing there in early September... We're dog-sitting Spirit (as in Ara & Spirit) for the first two weeks in September, and hopefully heading to the PNW for the second half of the month.

However, the Sawtooths are between me and the PNW...

Back
Top Bottom