screws where they shouldn't be

ramhawk2017

Hi fellow campers, that day finally arrived where 2 screws I used to secure addtional cabinet on the passenger rear side found their way through the shell exterior; thought I was safe using 2 predrilled holes that FWC put in for the fire extinguisher mount---lessons learned duh!!! Pilot holes caused the breach, 2 screws holding cabinet don't poke out, trying to avoid removing those screws as cabinet mount is great. Seeking best suggestion to patch 2 neat #8 screw size holes on exterior. ramhawk2017

I might be inclined to insert short screws into the exterior holes, with sealant, if there were a stud behind the siding.

I'm interested in finding out what others would do.

And don't feel bad, I've done much worse.

How about a couple white rivets or stainless screws and some 3m 4200 sealant. Your sure to get a lot of good ideals. Mitch

Stainless steel pop rivets might work. Could put a little sealant in the hole, then tighten.

Pull the screw, replace it with a shorter one. Then try tapping the hole closed with a smooth hammer.

I've had paint custom matched to my camper for just such occasions. I would fill the holes with a metal filled epoxy and airbrush to match. But's that's just me....Another solution depending on where the damage is to have a trophy shop make some kind of official looking metal tag with camper weight or similar.

cwd

Remove the screws and cut or grind them down by 1/8". Then seal hole on the outside with silicone caulking in your choice of colors. If you want the outside fix to look better than a plug of caulking you can find or create a plug using a screw head and push that into the calking in the hole.

Back
Top Bottom