Sealing roof trim to tent

Seth

Advanced Member
We finally have seen some rain in the PNW, and I have a leak in the 97 Eagle - but only when the top is down! This camper is new to us this season.

As near as I can determine, there is seepage on the driver's side between the tent windows, coming down the outside of the tent, meaning, the tent is sealed to the roof, but not to the roof trim.

This then wicks through the window velcro, ending up with a little puddle on top of the stove cover.

When the top is up, there is no leakage! So this doesn't seem urgent for wrapping up our season here, but I want to fix it of course.

I've tightened the trim screws in the area - about a 1/16th turn was all they took - with no change.

Seems to me I have two choices:
Dry it in the garage, then goop it with some sealant that an experienced forum member recommends,
or,
Apply some RV roof repair tape. Not a pretty job, but it would match what the previous owner did on the other side. And that stuff sure seals!

Ideas or recommendations?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Seth-

If I understand your post, you're talking about the sealant between the top of the roof trim and the roof surface.

If you do some searches for roof sealants on WTW you'll see discussion of multiple products. Several threads indicate the FWC factory uses Silaprene and by that they mean the Royal Adhesives product "Silaprene HAPs Free Adhesive / Sealant" in a green cartridge.

That doesn't mean the Loctite product you mention won't do a good job.... it's tough to tell. If you have an experimental nature, you might want to read up some more on the web and make a decision.

My roof... and probably yours... originally was sealed with silicone sealant. I had a similar leak so started prodding around the silicone above the trim with a pick tool (similar to an ice pick). I found places the silicone had pulled away and decided to replace it all.

I used a hooked pick tool to dig out the old silicone and noticed that some sections of the old, rubbery silicone were dirty on multiple sides, indicating water was getting by.

After cleaning up the area with rubbing alcohol, I put down a line of masking tape on each side of the fill area and applied a GE silicone product (this one) and pulled up the tape quickly. I learned I needed to be careful on how much silicone I put down. But I was also pleasantly surprised I could work the silicone to some extent with a finger (unlike my previous encounters with silicone). I chose that product because I first tried Dicor Lap Sealant and didn't like it, then couldn't find the 3M 4200 I chose next. I didn't want to wait for an online order of 4200 or Silaprene to arrive. I figured I'd just go with silicone again and chose this extra-flexible one.

That took care of my leak and seems to still be good a year later. But of course I don't know how it will do long term. If the silicone fails, I'll probably try the Silaprene.

Thanks Old Crow!

Yes, I'm both experimental and impatient by nature... Was it Voltaire who said "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good."? A favorite quote of a guy I used to work with.

I bought some of the Loctite Marine Sealant / Adhesive linked above at my local Home Depot, and will take the next opportunity to try it out. I can always reef it out for silicone or siliprene, or, cover with RV roof repair tape.

Good enough is good enough - that's a favorite quote of mine!

Hi Seth

Just as a side note, I have noticed that if I put the top down after heavy rain there may be some runoff from the folded side material that leaks thru the window velcro in much the same area where you are spotting your leak.

Was you top dry and closed before the rain came?

Just a thought.

DavidGraves

David, no - this leak occurs when it rains with the camper folded and dry. But, you're right, it's all about the wicking through the velcro!

PNW seems to be drying out again, which may take us through our last *planned* trip of the year. Then reef out the old caulk per Old Crow, let everything dry real well in the garage, and see how this Loctite Marine product works...

Back
Top Bottom