shore power mystery

campito

Advanced Member
I recently had repair work on my camper that required FWC to remove and replace the driver side siding. To do this FWC had to remove the shore power plug.

When I got the camper back plugging in the shore power kept popping the gfi. To diagnose I plugged in just the power cord to the gfi and that was good, I added the shore power adapter and that was good, I plugged into camper and popped the gfi. I tried three different sockets and same thing.

I removed the shore power socket on the camper and removed and reinserted/tightened the wires, reinstalled, and all is good. I don’t pop the gfi, get the blue light on the shore power socket door, but something is still not right.

With batteries at 70%, evening (so no solar), everything off, power to camper on, my Trimetric shows 12.6 volts and -.1 amps.

If I turn the frig on the Trimetric info stays the same. Frig getting shore power?

If I unplug the shore power the Trimetric shows -3.8 amps from the frig.

So, shore power seems to be powering the frig, but…

I doubt this part of the problem is related to work FWC did, they just replaced the siding, but will check with them on Monday. My electric knowledge is a 1 on a scale of 10.

I’m stumped.

If it worked before... then the strong suspect would be the last work the workers did buggered something up.

You may want to revisit FWC, don't mess around with shore power, the last thing you want is a short or damaged components from poor workmanship.

Is the 120VAC circuit breaker in the camper panel for the shore power 12VDC converter open (off/tripped)? Shut off the battery switch with shore power connected. Do your 12 volt devices (lights for example) work? If not, your converter is not working for some reason.

If you have a two way compressor fridge it will use the 120VAC supply if it’s on. I’m guessing your 120vac converter is not operating, and because your house gfi is no longer tripping, I’m guessing either the wire from your camper 120vac breaker to the shore power converter is shorted or the converter has an internal short, and it’s not tripping the gfi any more because the camper’s 120vac breaker for the converter tripped.

Recent work makes me suspect wire damage rather than converter failure. The cb for the converter is probably tripped. If so, don’t reset it until you inspect the wiring or have someone inspect it.

Sounds like you may have fixed a direct short at the input plug by taking it apart as it allows power without tripping the gfi on your source.

There is 12 volt buss fuses on the inverter that most likely poped when you had the short. Look for them on the unit or on a wire extension from the inverter.

pvstoy said:
Sounds like you may have fixed a direct short at the input plug by taking it apart as it allows power without tripping the gfi on your source.

There is 12 volt buss fuses on the inverter that most likely poped when you had the short. Look for them on the unit or on a wire extension from the inverter.
I believe it’s converter, not inverter, but Patrick has the correct answer

If you are not getting 120V AC shore power when you have the camper plugged in to your house, it's usually one of two things . . .

1. The circuit breakers inside your kitchen cabinets are not turned on.

2. The fuse on the end of the IOTA power converter blew, and needs replacing.

Hope this helps.

Stan

Attachments

• IOTA power converter set scres for fuse.jpg
    IOTA power converter set scres for fuse.jpg
    128.3 KB · Views: 47

Back
Top Bottom