attachicon.gif
20130430_103330.jpg
attachicon.gif
20130430_104516.jpg
attachicon.gif
20130430_104528.jpg
attachicon.gif
Drain side view.jpg

A year later and still going strong. I have not used my portable container since.
Do you know how many gallons the pipe holds? What is the size of the pipe? I have a 7 gallon container, but in the National Parks or bear country I have to remove when we aren't around or at night and that is getting old.

Since I have a short bed (5'8") the pipe holds 3.5 gallons. The pipe is standard 4" ID ABS. It's enough for a few days when you wash your dishes at a park wash station. You could double the capacity by putting another on the other side of the truck with either PVC or hose connecting them. If you did that I would angle the pipe in the direction of the water flow. For instance in my example I have it tilted from high near the cab to low where the drain faucet is. If I added another to the other side I would have it tilted in the opposite direction with another vent tube on the high end.

Regarding bears, you could consider adding some portapotti solution to the tank to break down any food etc.

so...

disregarding the closed bucket or open bucket pressure issues; Would the top of a vent best be located above the level of the sink, or just below?

I'm just doing the right angle drain into an open bucket for now but have been pondering the vent for closed gray water situations.

If the vent is above the sink 5 he backed up water in the sink will let you know it's full. If it's the other way grey water will drain into the bed without any initial sign. (I think... still working on my first cup of coffee)

I created the gray water photos into a slide show:

Here is my take on a vent...I painted it green, cost was about $4 bucks...

Attachments

• fix 7.jpeg
    fix 7.jpeg
    47.5 KB · Views: 227
  • fix 8.jpeg
    fix 8.jpeg
    23.7 KB · Views: 230
Wandering Sagebrush said:
In our first pop up (a tent trailer), the sink was always slow to drain because of not having a vent. I saw another thread where one of the WTW members had made a vent, but being basically a lazy person, I took the easy way. It's just an inexpensive hose splitter, with some washing machine hose as both the vent and drain... Easy peasy...

12055816923_a6ea8e5882_z.jpg

Cat litter bucket for the catch basin
used this vent last camp trip. worked great. until sink was full. i didnt have the long hose attached to the wye. no prop with your setup but my bed extends beyond camper. just finishing up on pvc fix and will post shortly

Gents ....been awhile since i was here .... how the heck do u upload pics again. just wanted to add my sink drain and vent. or u can go to my gallery i guess

gallery_4623_998_878042.jpg

gallery_4623_998_2032595.jpg

gallery_4623_998_1635296.jpg

gallery_4623_998_662433.jpg

gallery_4623_998_1994410.jpg

gallery_4623_998_637487.jpg

gallery_4623_998_2675220.jpg

gallery_4623_998_2422073.jpg

gallery_4623_149_1665399.jpg

gallery_4623_149_1959272.jpg

gallery_4623_999_1172663.jpg

gallery_4623_999_284243.jpg

On my windows PC, click on your photo in your galley to make it big, right click and click on "copy image location". In your post or reply box, click on the picture icon, a dialog box appears, put cursor in the space, right click, paste. Your photo should be in your post. For ease, I like to have two tabs open in my browser, one with the photo gallery, and one where I'm posting.

This is what I use 3.5 gallons each. http://www.waterbrick.org/lp-water-containers.php
I have 4. One for gray water and 3 for extra fresh water.

Advantages:
Carry extra fresh water easily on the floor of my Crew Cab. They sit flat and stack easily. Therefore, on the floor of the truck, I have a flat surface on which to place other stuff.

Mark one of them with Sharpie for use as gray water.

At 3.5 gallons it's not heavy when full and the fresh water ones can easily be placed on the roof for draining for refilling the fresh water tank. Use the Ventless Spigot Assembly for refilling the fresh water tank. Just attach a piece of clear tubing with a radiator clamp to act as a short hose. Obviously only use this method when regular hose filling is not an option.

Since I remove my Hawk from the truck and use it for truck stuff, I didn't want to use the PVC pipe above the tire well option.

Back
Top Bottom