Sleeping quarters orientation

niknoid

I'm new to this forum and looking to outfit my Tundra with a pop-up truck camper. I'm having some trouble researching the orientation of the bedding in these rigs.

I'm tall so I'm trying to confirm which units have the bedding setup length-wise to the truck rather than width-wise?

If you are looking at the FWCs and ATCs, most beds are east/west (across the camper). I have an ATC Panther on my Tundra and it is 84 inches wide. I'm 6'2" and have no problem sleeping across, neither my head/pillow or feet touch the sides. Both brands have extensions to the bed which allow for pretty wide beds as well.

The standard extension is 18 inches and you end up with a queen sized bed. The ATC has an overcab of about 48 inches so you would need at least a 24" extension to get to 6 ft.

My old camper was a FWC with a long extension on the bed which gave me about 6 ft length sleeping north/south.

ATC does custom work and they can do a longer extension. I am tempted to have them make me an extension and cushions to give us a king sized bed.

Our full sized campers (Raven, Hawk, and Grandby) can be order with the "King Slide-out" option that would allow you to sleep either direction (East/West) or (North/South).

If you're into building your own, you can build out a camper to have N-S (parallel to truck bed) arrangements. I built out an ATC to have two singles, one on either side of the camper. Under the bed in the main part of the camper are the refrigerator on one side and a small closet on the other. It's nice to have space between the beds for stuff, and also to be able to get in/out of bed without crawling over your partner (assuming you have a partner). We're much happier with this arrangement than the standard E-W bed.

Welcome to the forum.
Hallmark campers ( www.hallmarkrv.com ) offers the North/South bed option you are asking about. An additional benefit is that you also get what we call "nightstands" on each side of the bed that allows us to store a weeks worth of clothes.

We went with the 72" wide Ocelot from ATC. Our bed extends out to 76" x 70" wide . I'm over 6ft so we sleep N/W. I think most Ocelots are 78"wide , but the 72 suits us fine for our use. Got the shell with furnace and did my own mods.

I have a Hawk on my Tundra, I'm 6'2" and have no problems sleeping East/West on the regular Queen size bed.

penner said:
We went with the 72" wide Ocelot from ATC. Our bed extends out to 76" x 70" wide . I'm over 6ft so we sleep N/W. I think most Ocelots are 78"wide , but the 72 suits us fine for our use. Got the shell with furnace and did my own mods.
NW? Take up the whole bed :D

Wow! Thanks all! You've given me some start points for research, much appreciated. Life would be easier if I didn't sleep like a starfish!

smlobx said:
Welcome to the forum.
Hallmark campers ( www.hallmarkrv.com ) offers the North/South bed option you are asking about. An additional benefit is that you also get what we call "nightstands" on each side of the bed that allows us to store a weeks worth of clothes.
Is the Hallmark north/south bedding an option? The site shows everything as east/west.

niknoid said:
Is the Hallmark north/south bedding an option? The site shows everything as east/west.

Yes it is available on most campers.

As an example See the second sentence on this K2

http://www.hallmarkrv.com/campers/hallmark-k2/

If you look at the pictures of Crew cab trucks you will see some that have the camper project almost the full length of the CC roof. Those are the N/S bed arrangements.

Edit to add: Here is our initial write up of our camper that goes into considerable detail.

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/12399-review-of-our-new-hallmark-everest/

Back
Top Bottom