so there is no such thing as a 10 ply tire?

HERR42

i read this ....and i was surprised.

The load range or ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall helps identify how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of carcass plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply.

The load range or ply rating branded on a tire's sidewall helps identify how much load the tire is designed to carry at its industry specified pressure. Passenger tires feature named load ranges while light truck tires use load ranges that ascend in alphabetical order (letters further along in the alphabet identify stronger tires that can withstand higher inflation pressures and carry heavier loads). Before load ranges were adopted, ply ratings and/or the actual number of carcass plies were used to identify the relative strength with higher numeric ratings or plies identifying tires featuring stronger, heavier duty constructions.

Today's load range/ply ratings do not count the actual number of body ply layers used to make up the tire's internal structure, but indicate an equivalent strength compared to early bias ply tires. Most radial passenger tires have one or two body plies, and light truck tires, even those with heavy-duty ratings (10-, 12- or 14-ply rated), actually have only two or three fabric plies, or one steel body ply.

Yeah when I bought my E range tires this year I found that a tad misleading as well.

If you go to 19.5 wheels you can have the rating you want, that's what I did and one of the better moves I made. Goodyear G124 265/70's in Vision wheels.
Check out Rickson wheels online for more info.

DSC01713.jpg

Those Rickson wheels are nice !

I think our North Carolina dealer is running those on his truck (but he is a Lance dealer and needs to be able to carry big campers from time to time).

Gordon from TruckCamperMagazine has them on his Dodge 3500, but he also has a big hard sided cabover camper.

Awesome rims and probably well worth the extra $$ if you are carrying a BIG cabover camper, something like an Alpenlite, Lance, Bigfoot, etc. (2500 lbs. - 4000 lbs.)

But im not convinced it is worth the extra $$ for the average "pop-up" camper customer.

Most of our customers don't want to drop a couple thousand dollars for new rims and tires to carry their pop-up camper.

People on the forums are just trying to scrape a few dollars together for gas these days so they can actually go out and use their camper (lol).

Safety is always top priority.

A good set of "E" rated truck tires is probably just fine for most all customers carrying a pop-up truck camper around.

With all of the people posting on the forums these days, I can't remember any tire horror stories, as long as the person is running with a good set of tires on their truck.

Back
Top Bottom