Solar 101

Funstini

Advanced Member
Ok ............

I think this solar install is going to be easier than I thought (hopefully).

What I am wondering is since the panel is "hot" once the sun hits it. What's the best way to hook up the wiring to the control box and the panel itself? I was thinking about maybe putting cardboard over the panel so it wouldn't charge right away. Maybe the charge is not that much? Could be a shocking experience!

Thanks,

Funstini

What I am wondering is since the panel is "hot" once the sun hits it. What's the best way to hook up the wiring to the control box and the panel itself? I was thinking about maybe putting cardboard over the panel so it wouldn't charge right away. Maybe the charge is not that much? Could be a shocking experience!

The instructions that came with my charge controller required a 20a fuse inline with the solar panel to battery connection. You could also put a fuse inline from the panel to the controller. Just pull the fuse out when you want protection.

The instructions that came with my charge controller required a 20a fuse inline with the solar panel to battery connection. You could also put a fuse inline from the panel to the controller. Just pull the fuse out when you want protection.

When I installed my 45w panel the instructions for the controller read that you hook up the ( - ) to the battery first, than the (+). Than the ( -) of the panel than the( +).You shouldn't have any problems, but I did like you have suggested and placed the cardboard packing sheet over the panel.I am not an electric wiz but I for a change followed the instructions and all went fine. I wired my panel ground (-) directly to the controller and not to the common camper ground, I used #10 wire for both( -) & (+) feeds. Hope this helps.

Frank

Thanks for the reply. I guess that's what I was thinking ....... after you mount the panel on the roof, it is instantly producing a electrical charge. So I guess run the wires to the controller and the battery and then go back up to the top and very carefully connect the wires to the active solar panel. Or black it out so it's not active. Hate shocks.

Thanks for the help.

Most panels put out in the neighborhood of 17 volts. Not enough to give you a real jolt. Might want to just cover the panel while doing the wiring.

Back
Top Bottom