Solar Help

park

I've got a 37 Qt. ARB cooler coming and I will be installing it in the backseat of my Tacoma. I plan on running a line directly off the truck battery and route the plug in near the cooler in the backseat. I want to purchase some kind of solar system that I can attach to the truck batter when I'll be set up for more than a day or so to keep the battery charged. Not really looking for any type of permanent set up just something I can hook up while not in transit and store when not needed. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

I've got the Zamp 80 watt portable. The only downside is that with an onboard controller, it needs to connect directly to the batteries if you have solar on the camper.

Park, for your use, I think it would be fine. You might consider getting another battery for the cooler, or as a backup for the truck. We found that our 40 quart Engel, on an isolated group 27 battery needed charged with the generator twice a day, for an hour each time. This was running the Engel at its coldest setting (freezer mode) in ambient temps of 65° lows, and 90° highs.

If you're going to run your fridge off your main battery you should consider a low-voltage cutout to protect your starting capability. And carry a MicroStart!

There are many good portable setups; the Zamp is excellent and allows you to pick which output suits your needs. I wrote here about a really nice 200 watt system from P3Solar that weighs under 20 pounds.

I won't be running it on freezer mode and it's my understanding that you can easily go two days with these new ARB fridges and not run down the battery. I'd like to get something that is just big enough to keep the battery juiced up. I don't know much about this solar stuff as I don't have it on my camper. With LED lites I've never had the need for it and have been out for almost a week without cranking the truck. Thanks for the info on the stuff sent. I guess I need to do some research on it. I've got some smaller goal zero stuff but I don't think GoalZero is making the system any longer where you could hook directly into a 12V truck battery.

park said:
I won't be running it on freezer mode and it's my understanding that you can easily go two days with these new ARB fridges and not run down the battery. I'd like to get something that is just big enough to keep the battery juiced up. I don't know much about this solar stuff as I don't have it on my camper. With LED lites I've never had the need for it and have been out for almost a week without cranking the truck. Thanks for the info on the stuff sent. I guess I need to do some research on it. I've got some smaller goal zero stuff but I don't think GoalZero is making the system any longer where you could hook directly into a 12V truck battery.
The ARB fridges are excellent. I have owned the 63 quart version for a few years and think they are fantastic.

I found that your smaller fridge would use 0.7-2.3 amps per hour.
http://store.arbusa.com/ARB-Fridge-Freezer-37-Qt-10800352-P21327.aspx

Mine has the same compressor unit and uses about 2-3 amps per hour when it's running.
Run time depends on the temperature outside, how cold you want the food, how often you open it, etc...

In mine application, I would estimate it uses at least 20 amps per day, but likely not more than 30-35 amps per day.

If you know the amp hours of your truck battery, you could calculate out how long you could run it.

But a way to recharge or at least jump start your battery would be an excellent backup.

My Portable solar sample panel has a plug that plugs into the socket for the trailer wiring on my truck. Sounds good, but doesn't seem to work. Has anyone else tried this arrangement?

Sent from my iPad using Wander The West

Check that the breaker or fuse is installed in the circuit to the trailer wiring 12 volt +. Some trucks do not come with this circuit enabled.
Dsrtrat

Given that the OP is in the PNW I would suggest over-sizing the solar system. It isn't going to see sun like it would in the desert SW.

I also strongly suggest either a second battery with some sort of isolator or at the very least one of the new, tiny jump-start battery systems. Truth told, you *might* be able to run the ARB off one of the jump-start batterys if you connect the solar to it and leave the vehicle's primary battery out of the system entirely.

Back
Top Bottom