Solar - informal survey of brands and customer satisfaction

I have a Grape solar 150 watt rigid panel on the roof tied to a Morningstar MPPT 15L Controller. I also have a Renogy 100 watt flexible panel mounted on a foam core insulation for use during those times of less than ideal sun conditions. (this is plugged into an additional plug at the back of the camper on a 20 ft cord.)
Both panels charge a LiFePo (Lithium) 100AH battery.

DonC said:
Went to Renogy today and the third panel has now failed, so 100 failure rate in 6 months for the 3 panels purchased in Dec

http://www.wanderthewest.com/forum/topic/10725-electrical-confusion/page-8
I can't believe your other panel failed. Glad to know you are diagnosing on your own though.

As for me I have one 100w renogy panel I use remotely. Was planning on gluing it to the roof but now I'm scared. Think I may do dual lock now.

Ethergore said:
I can't believe your other panel failed. Glad to know you are diagnosing on your own though.

As for me I have one 100w renogy panel I use remotely. Was planning on gluing it to the roof but now I'm scared. Think I may do dual lock now.
I'm putting 100W Renogy panels on but not gluing them to the top. I'm built an aluminium frame to mount one from my Yakima crossbas and another aluminium frame to mount the second where my rigid panel was mounted.

I must be confused! With all the failed flexible panels of lately and the clear message that the industry hasn't perfected them yet, why would someone put them on?

I want flexible solar panels more than anything, but in the interim I'll stick with what works!

Bwht4x4 said:
I must be confused! With all the failed flexible panels of lately and the clear message that the industry hasn't perfected them yet, why would someone put them on?

I want flexible solar panels more than anything, but in the interim I'll stick with what works!
We just had our first failures within the last month. The first person to return them was told by Renogy that their failure rate is less than 5%. In addition, there are many members here, including myself, who have used them for over a year with no issues. I think most of us realize that forums will always lead you to believe a particular product is worse as most people are more likely to post a complaint than a compliment. Even if that isnt the case, a few failures sounds much more scary than a bunch of successes.

Only time will tell if these incidents are isolated or happening to many with the panels. For all we know it may be the fact we are gluing these panels to the roof, or it may just be a bad batch from China.

LookyLou said:
I'm putting 100W Renogy panels on but not gluing them to the top. I'm built an aluminium frame to mount one from my Yakima crossbas and another aluminium frame to mount the second where my rigid panel was mounted.
How much weight is that going to add?

Ethergore said:
How much weight is that going to add?
The panels are 4.4 lbs. each and the aluminium frames are about 2 lbs. each, so about 13 total lbs, going to 200W from 85W and reduced weight on the roof by at least 12 lbs.

LookyLou said:
The panels are 4.4 lbs. each and the aluminium frames are about 2 lbs. each, so about 13 total lbs, going to 200W from 85W and reduced weight on the roof by at least 12 lbs.
Thats not too bad. What gauge aluminum is that and how much? Are you still attaching it to the aluminum with adhesive? If it goes bad will you just lose out on the aluminum or glue another on top? The other thing I'm wondering is if the aluminum will still transfer just as much heat as the roof or be cooler from the air underneath (my guess).

Please post when you do this please.

Ethergore said:
Thats not too bad. What gauge aluminum is that and how much? Are you still attaching it to the aluminum with adhesive? If it goes bad will you just lose out on the aluminum or glue another on top? The other thing I'm wondering is if the aluminum will still transfer just as much heat as the roof or be cooler from the air underneath (my guess).

Please post when you do this please.
1x1 angle @ 1/8 thickness. The panels are attached to the frame with velcro and zip tie. If a panel fails it's an easy swap out. The velcro will act as an insolator and the middle of the frames open and doesn't touch the area with the solar cells.

LookyLou said:
1x1 angle @ 1/8 thickness. The panels are attached to the frame with velcro and zip tie. If a panel fails it's an easy swap out. The velcro will act as an insolator and the middle of the frames open and doesn't touch the area with the solar cells.
Oh. I just realized this is just a frame. Totally missed that. Great way to cut down on weight. I guess if the velcro adhesive fails, really good zip ties should be able to handle the load for a significant time. Your not worried about the force of the wind? I feel like you have to be a physics major to figure out how much force will be exerted on these things.

Ethergore said:
Oh. I just realized this is just a frame. Totally missed that. Great way to cut down on weight. I guess if the velcro adhesive fails, really good zip ties should be able to handle the load for a significant time. Your not worried about the force of the wind? I feel like you have to be a physics major to figure out how much force will be exerted on these things.
Remember, airplanes use to be covered with fabric. Still trying to decide whether or not to put a short fairing on the front Yakima bar.

Mechanical engineer

LookyLou said:
Remember, airplanes use to be covered with fabric. Still trying to decide whether or not to put a short fairing on the front Yakima bar.

Mechanical engineer
I'm not worried about the fabric failing, just the things holding it. I contacted tech support about the velcro's ability to bond with TPT plastic (What the Renogy panel is made of) and they said that it is not advised. Maybe they are covering their behind but I'm just scared to try on a raised panel. I am tempted to try on my flat roof however as there is much less force.

LookyLou said:

Mechanical engineer
FWIW: testing on the Minnesota wind tunnel highway (bugs instead of smoke), front of camper plastered with bugs, front edge of solar panel - no bugs. Rigid panels 2" above roof, 8" behind front edge.

My system: 2 X 100W rigid Renogy mono panels, Morningstar TriStar 45 PWM controller, Trimetric 2030, 2 X GC2 208AH batteries. System has been running constantly for 1+ years, refrigerator always on, MaxxFan running constantly in summer. Only see batteries at less than 100% in evening when temps are > 85° with heavy overcast.

jim

I purchased through discount solar off eBay.
I bought 2 x 120 watt panels and 1 x 100 watts.
30 amp MPPT controller.

Going on 1.5-2 years of service with no issues.

I've installed hard panels on a few other trailers and have not noticed any significant change in performance with flexible vs hard panels.

One of the best mods I have ever done to my camper.

LookyLou said:
Do you have any pictures? I'm think about doing the same thing.

Back
Top Bottom