Solar voltage help

Adventurebound

Hello FWC fam. Question on solar. I have a 2017 Hawk that was pre-wired for solar, no controller I am installing my own. What I'm running into is the panel I installed is putting out 20+volts at the plug. The other end of the wire in the battery box is only showing .76 volts? Can thier be that much of a voltage drop in the FWC wiring? Or is thier a inline fuse that I missed that is partially blown? What am I missing here?

No on both. Wouldn't be that much drop, and no fuse from the factory. Could be a short circuit. I'm assuming you're using a multi-meter to read the voltage.. See if there is continuity between the two wires when they are not hooked up to anything. There should not be. If there is, it's shorted. And, is that .76 volts present if the panel is not connected? If so, maybe you've got the wrong wires?

In my 2017 hawk the solar wire from the roof when to the area in front of the sink, the place where the factory installs the charge controller. I believe it was marked.

I think Frank_in_AZ has your answer. In my Fleet, the roof wires are behind the kitchen panel (labeled solar panels or something similar) and then FWC also has two wires labelled battery that go from there to the battery.

Thanks for the replies. So weirdly enough I went back and checked and have full voltage now. Only thing I did was moved my truck into the other stall in my driveway...and yes they both had full sun? Maybe a wire moved and is not grounding now? I will keep an eye on this.

Back
Top Bottom