Some camper storage questions...

shoestring

Advanced Member
[SIZE=medium]First, am I crazy to store my ATC Bobcat outside this winter - I live in Truckee, CA, and we usually get a lot of snow (excepting, of course, the last few winters). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I plan to have it on and off the truck during the winter, but when it is not on my truck, I think that I may leave in front of my house? Obviously, I intend to clear the roof of snow after each snowfall. For what it’s worth, it’s just a shell model with a heater (i.e., no sink, water, etc.).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Also, I poked around a bit and did not find threads talking about different options for a base to store the camper on – I’m sure that there are some posts…if anyone can link to them, sweet. If not, what do people use – saw horses, cinder blocks, wood frames, etc.?[/SIZE]

Any thoughts and/or advice is appreciated...

One thing to consider is the snow load on the camper when on some type of base. Make sure what ever you use it will be able to handle the extra weight of any snow.

Some strong saw horses might work.
My camper stays on all the time so i don't have a need for some sort of platform to set the camper on.

Many years ago I did have a "light weight" hard sided camper that I would remove when not in use.
I used some oil drums I had plus a 6X6 beam to go between the drums.
Worked great and the height was such that I didn't have to raise or lower the camper much from the truck to the storage supports.

Just some thoughts.
There is a thread somewhere, maybe Mark BC will find it.
Frank

I built a base out of 2x6's with large caster wheels for ease of movement. You might need skis instead of wheels. :)

I leave mine on full time and use it as a Ski Chalet - so I try to use it when it's snowing. I'm sure it's better to keep it inside, but it won't get ruined outside, especially if it's safe in your driveway (no rear-endings or road treatment chemicals).

If possible, I'd try to get a clear approach for loading the camper (so you're not backing up over mounds of ice/snow when you line it up). If you can do it all on pavement that seems ideal...

I think Overland Hadley has gotten snowed-in a few times (stored outside all winter?). You might get some thoughts from Nathaniel.

camper 101 - i'm hoping to use it in the winter too - perfect base camper for trading backcountry laps with the wife...yeah, we plan to snow blow the area where we keep it...fall is in the air, so we've got to make some decisions soon...

found some good ideas from the links provided...i might, however, just use concrete blocks with 3/4 plywood as a base...four in the corners and two or three in the middle...

Ethergore said:
I use 4 furniture dollies and it rolls around pretty well. Needs to stay on concrete tho.
I was thinking that I may use 4 dollies with 3/4 ply. Seems like a simple, cheap option.

I cut apart a $100 pop-up camper to use as a dolly. I have gravel, not concrete, so I needed wheels instead of casters.
Before:
coleman-popup.jpg

After:
alaskan-dolly.jpg

Camper on camper:
alaskan-on-trailer.jpg

We are in Seattle. So, the problem here is rain not snow. However, I think our solution will work for you as well.

We have had RV's since 2001 and had had to get through 13 winters. I have tried a number of things. What I have found works best is a HEAVY DUTY cheap (about $50) plastic tarp over the camper and a $200 dollar electric dehumidifier inside the camper (you will have to access the camper about once a week to empty the water from the tray).

You want to set the dehumidifer to a low setting so it runs often and sucks the moisture out of the air. This will prevent any and all mildew. Next spring, you will have a fresh smelling camper.

More importantly for your situation, the dehumidifier produces heat, this will warm the inside of your camper AND THE ROOF and will melt off most, if not all, the snow depending on the outside temp and how much snow you get.

If you are really worried, add a small space heater inside too. Warm that roof. Melt that snow.

You will hear all kinds of negitive reports about plastic tarps. Ignore them. Tarps work fine for a single winter. In the spring, throw the tarp in the trash. Where people run into problems is when they cheap out and try to use the tarp for a second or third season. Cheap tarps are only good for one year.

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom