carld

Attachments

• CozyCabinPropaneHeater.JPG
    CozyCabinPropaneHeater.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 236
  • SolidFualHeater.JPG
    SolidFualHeater.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 180
It looks like the propane heater flue uses the same diameter pipe as the proplex heaters 26mm or 1".

More options are always good!

I would agree with JaSAn, that option 2 is a non-starter. Wood heating is just not a practical option for a truck camper, way too hard to regulate the temperature, the tiny stoves need constant attention, and they are dirty.

Option 1 looks interesting, essentially a 'no moisture' alternative to the silent Wave style heater. Briefly looking at the spec, it may end up taking up a lot of room as it needs 6" clearance all around, so all of a sudden in becomes 18" x 18" by however tall it needs to be. Without forced induction, I assume the flue needs to extend some distance out the top to get a 'stack effect' to draw air through?

If you can find a way of buying one - the Truma Combi would be my choice.

Vic Harder said:
I vented my Propex down into the truck box.
I was asking re: Cozy Cabin Propane heater that looks like it must be installed vertically. The instruction manual implies but doesn't state it.

I'm getting a shell so starting out from a new pallett. The Dickerson Newport Marine Newport P9000 is another option. It is complletely inclosed. Uses about 1 lb of propane in 5 to 7 hr. I'm thinking about centering in in the cabinets at the 12" level with a side dinette, and venting it through the roof, with an extention tube with shielding after the top is up. It has a little window so you can see the fire. It has a fan with speed control to circulate air around it. Thinking about making a 3 sided 1'w x 1.5'h x 1' d metal surround angleing the flue at 45deg to the wall then straight up through the ceiling (maybe a small extention tube if the top is down).

Attachments

• Dickerson Newport 9000 Propane Heater.JPG
    Dickerson Newport 9000 Propane Heater.JPG
    28.3 KB · Views: 128
carld said:
I'm getting a shell so starting out from a new pallett. The Dickerson Newport Marine Newport P9000 is another option. It is complletely inclosed. Uses about 1 lb of propane in 5 to 7 hr. I'm thinking about centering in in the cabinets at the 12" level with a side dinette, and venting it through the roof, with an extention tube with shielding after the top is up. It has a little window so you can see the fire. It has a fan with speed control to circulate air around it. Thinking about making a 3 sided 1'w x 1.5'h x 1' d metal surround angleing the flue at 45deg to the wall then straight up through the ceiling (maybe a small extention tube if the top is down).
Are you sure you want to deal with that configuration every time you want to use it? Dickinson makes great stuff, but I’m thinking it’s not the best option for a pop up.

Not sure of anything, just putting it out there. Maybe you could make a telescoping flue out of 1" and 1.5" conduit. I know there are some issues using galvanized pipe for flue pipe, but you can burn and oxidize the zinc and make it safe. Think I might just start out my making a shelf for my Mr Heater in the middle of the cabinets at the 1' step level and lining the surrounding cabinets with metal and adding some doors. Kind of like this picture. I'm also thinking about a gravity feed stainless 3 gal water container, in place of tank and pump. Sorry the only props for a stove and water container I had were to resize a bbq smoker and a rain barrel.

Attachments

• CamperCabinets.JPG
    CamperCabinets.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 198
Not going to fit much in that refrigerator :p

My experience with a Mr Heater was not good. Even at 30º outside I had way too much condensation; everything wet inside.

With the way I camp (2 - 8 weeks at a time) portable water containers are a lot easier. I can fill almost anywhere, don't need to find a camper accessible fill station and carry a hose. I use 1 gallon jugs; mostly for ease of lifting.

jim

"Even at 30º outside I had way too much condensation; everything wet inside."

Maybe the increased moisture isn't as much of an issue for the desert folks?

JaSAn said:
Two problems with a wood stove: there is a learning curve to it's heat output regulation and it is a regular and dirty job to clean.
The learning curve is very short and I can go 3 weeks in a wall tent with a wood stove and have very little ash in the stove when I am done. I'm not advocating the use of a wood stove in a truck camper, and if I was going to cut a vent hole it would be for some type of propane heater.

cwd

cwdtmmrs said:
The learning curve is very short and I can go 3 weeks in a wall tent with a wood stove and have very little ash in the stove when I am done. I'm not advocating the use of a wood stove in a truck camper, and if I was going to cut a vent hole it would be for some type of propane heater.

cwd
if you used hardwood charcoal it would burn a long time with vary little ash. Then in a pinch round up some sticks.

A guy on youtube called Justin Credible used one of the P9000 for years in Canada and loved it. It uses a double wall flue so intake air comes from outside. I just looked and it appears he's switched to some sort of wood burning stove/fireplace and switched Class B's also.

A removable double wall flue might not be the easiest thing to figure out but certainly not the hardest either.

Back
Top Bottom