Something Worth Watching - Yosemite

Speaking of Yosemite have you heard that plans are in the works requiring reservations to enter
the park?
I saw it on the internet so do not know if true.
For someone who does not plan ahead when out and about this will be a pain!

Les,lqhikers

lqhikers said:
Speaking of Yosemite have you heard that plans are in the works requiring reservations to enter
the park?

Les,lqhikers
It is getting so crowded, how could we not know it would come to something like this? I have not seen any confirmation of this possible change.

Seems to be the trend, too many people !! I am greatful for all the years that it wasn't this way today. Hopefully it will calm down after Covid. Thanks for sharing Monty.

lqhikers said:
the park?

Les,lqhikers

ski3pin said:
It is getting so crowded, how could we not know it would come to something like this? I have not seen any confirmation of this possible change.
What I've learned is this is a temporary measure (and will go into effect next week - Park now closed due to storm damage) meant to reduce crowding during the pandemic and is similar to the reservation requirement that was implemented earlier in the pandemic.

Thanks for reminding me I wanted to get on this morning to get one for Feb 8 for my husbands 70th birthday. It was simple and I got one. There is a two dollar fee, and they want $35 entrance, but there is a way to say you have a geezer card. Thanks.

I actually enjoyed going several times last year under the reservation system. It was actually a good thing to limit the amount of people in the valley. The thing that really affected me the most though was the lack of the shuttle buses due to Covid. I doubt that they will be reopening anytime soon. So it made reliance on a car ticket from area to area more of a necessity. I focused my time in the valley last summer because it was such a unique opportunity. I think this year I will continue to branch out a little more like normal.

Lqhikers - regarding planning ahead, last year (once it settled down) it was quite easy to obtain a pass with little advance notice. The hardest part was that you must enter the park on the first day of your reservation even though it is a seven day pass. I am hopeful that it will encourage some people to spend more than just one day in the park. It is still very difficult, in fact almost impossible, to get overnight accommodations especially camping in the valley. But there is national forest off Evergreen Road where you can just pull off a little anywhere you want and boondock.

I am just grateful that this hasn’t happened a whole lot earlier. Dinali park closed the park to individual vehicles way back in the 80s, relying on the shuttle bus to take you in. Yosemite has threatened to do it since about that same time, but never been able to satisfy all the requirements and objections. I have a sneaking suspicion Covid may force that to happen. Well at least the pass system not the shuttles.

Back
Top Bottom