Soon to be bobcat owner in NC getting excited

Icutitup

Hi all,

We are less than 2 weeks away from getting our Bobcat from Marty and the ATC crew. Our 2003 tacoma is ready for travel, tires aired up, airbags installed, strong battery with clean terminals, extension towing mirrors, light weight step stool, and new truck alarm installed.

Any thing we've forgotten? Will the truck drive very differently with the camper on? I will drive more cautiously and plan for plenty of stopping room, but any thing else?

As you can tell, we are very excited and a little nervous. We are meeting Marty in Grand Junction Co. I pretty major rode trip if I do say so myself. From Grand Junction, we are heading to Moab to camp at the Arches, Island in sky and the needles. On our way back to NC we are hopefully spending some time at Rocky Mtn State park.

Thanks again to everyone who helped us get this far. My hope is to share our travels with you all and advertise ATC over here on the east coast. :)

Cheers,
April

Congratulations on the decision you made to go with ATC.
Marty & Jeff are the best there are.

Air bags may not be enough of an upgrade, however, you'll know by the time you get home.
I started with air bags and then decided to go with some heavy duty rear leaf springs.

Yes, you will know you have extra weight with the camper.
You'll do fine.

Have a great time with your camper.

Should be a blast! Cant wait till next year when I plan on purchasing a alasken camper to travel up and down the east coast till we can head out west, love NC. Enjoy the journey.

Alley-Kat said:
Congratulations on the decision you made to go with ATC.
Marty & Jeff are the best there are.

Air bags may not be enough of an upgrade, however, you'll know by the time you get home.
I started with air bags and then decided to go with some heavy duty rear leaf springs.

Yes, you will know you have extra weight with the camper.
You'll do fine.

Have a great time with your camper.
Concur with Alley-Kat. You will do fine. You will learn a lot - we all did - on your first trips. You will develop a routine that works for you and it will become second nature. Lists help. Ask Marty lots of questions, he's a wealth of knowledge and goes out of his way to help; a great guy.

Relax. Be super excited. Take a deep breath. Have a great time! And we are holding you to your pledge of sharing travels. :)

Congrats on the Bobcat.It's a great camper.
My Bobcat started on a Ford Ranger,although it seemed under powered due to the smaller V6,in the 2 years it rode on that truck it was a lot of fun.
My extra suspension mod were Supersprings,they worked well.
On the Tundra that now carry's the Bobcat I went with air bags and I like them better.
Have a great trip.
Marty and Jeff are the best IMO.
Frank

Congrats on your camper! Have fun on your maiden voyage. We drove ours across the country too on our first trip. Remember to fill the propane tank before you head out to the boonies (I forgot). Marty will fill you in on all the finer points and you will probably forget half of what he tells you, haha. I did. You will figure it all out as you go and have a great time camping.

thanks for all the good wishes.

we are hoping the air bags will do the trick. we got the firestone ride rites (up to 5000lbs). Our bobcat is a shell with no propane, water, heater, stove, or fridge.

We got 2 fantastic fans, a couch bottom and storage where the fridge and heater would go in the outfitted Bobcat. Solar panel plugs (roof and side) and the 12 volt battery system. We are going to use our jet boil, back packing food, and a regular cooler for this trip. We are happy to get off the ground (out of the tent) and hope to continue to travel light with a minimalist approach.

April

Sounds like you have the right mentality. Keep it simple, especially at first. You will love sleeping on a flat, padded bed, a huge step above backpacking. The rest falls into place as you use it. Everyone has their own style and preferences. I try to keep things stowed where they are used so that it is simple to pop and go. The more things you have to move out of the way to hit the road, the harder it is. The only thing I move once I get to camp is the chair bungled to the couch. You will figure out what works best.

Keep asking questions. This is a great community.

Back
Top Bottom