Southern Utah Mid-may - any takers?

I expect that a day or two, one way or the other shouldn't be a problem. I might try to meet up with DD and the WtW boys the next week and a bit north, though.

I think I'll spend a few days over at Goblin or boondock just North of there by San Rafael.

I think I'll spend a few days over at Goblin or boondock just North of there by San Rafael.

Sounds good to me. I also want to revisit Horseshoe Canyon just across the road from the goblins.

Horseshoe sounds god but to get there I think you need to go through Glen Canyon Rec area and they don't permit any dogs on that side of the river so that leaves me out. I'm putting a different axle on my trailer to raise it up 4", should should do. I have the dirt bike for hard to reach places, and it's a lot faster than a FWC :LOL:

Horseshoe sounds god but to get there I think you need to go through Glen Canyon Rec area and they don't permit any dogs on that side of the river so that leaves me out. I'm putting a different axle on my trailer to raise it up 4", should should do. I have the dirt bike for hard to reach places, and it's a lot faster than a FWC :LOL:

Barko,

The Horseshoe Cyn I'm talking about is a detached bit of Canyonlands NP. It's east of Goblin Valley and the San Rafael Swell. There is a BLM dry camp just west of the NP boundary or you can commute from Goblin Park. No problem with dogs, at least in camp. Dirt roads lead from there south into the Canyonlands NP on the west side of the Green River. It would be good dirt bike country, I'd guess.

I have a mountain bike for those hard-to-reach places.

Same Horseshoe Canyon. I had been looking at going into the Maze which requires going through Glen Canyon Rec area and the have the same pet rules as Canyonlands:

Horses, mules and burros are the only animals permitted. Other domestic animals are prohibited in the backcountry (including dogs).

No pets in the backcountry even in your vehicle so I guess that the BLM campground would be OK but not past there. Same is true on the White Rim trail. My dirt bike is really a dual sport, street plated so legal on any road but my daughters ATV is different so for that the San Rafael Swell beckons.

Alright I could meet at some point to be determined on Monday the 17th of May for a few days of exploration and maybe some limited beer drinking. Does that work for anyone?

Dawg,
You know I love S. Utah but we're headed to Pagosa Springs on Memorial Day weekend for the Blue Grass festival and we're rafting the Sacramento River on July 4th weekend. I'm not ruling it out but it looks unlikely. But y'never know if I'm free and I know where y'all are I might just show up with a bottle of Hornitos. so

You know,
this:
Dawg,

Reminds me of
b31eff25-3752-0158-5cf5-a099da6f8b65-Health_article_HEAL_FB_RandyJackson.jpg

(sorry to hijack the thread)

Since I got back last week from 2 weeks in the AZ desert and Overland Expo, I'm kind of stuck at work for a while to catch up. Would love to make it, maybe next time.

I'll be between Moab and Moneymint Valley between 13 and 22 May. There will be three rigs, five people. We'll prolly make Cottonwood CG (Comb Wash) our base for a few days. I wouldn't mind meeting others, and neither would the others.

Alright I could meet at some point to be determined on Monday the 17th of May for a few days of exploration and maybe some limited beer drinking. Does that work for anyone?

DD,

I should be able to meet you out there on the 17th or so. Should we pick a spot near the Swell?

Stew

I was just in SE Utah last week... and I would love to go back again. Watching this thread with interest...

842322082_iMjdA-O.jpg

KC, that's a nice photo. What mountains; what road?

DD,

I should be able to meet you out there on the 17th or so. Should we pick a spot near the Swell?

Stew

Sounds good to me do you have any suggestions?

Sounds good to me do you have any suggestions?

Will you be arriving after a long day's drive or just a short one?

Top of Long Canyon, near Dead Horse State Park, heading toward the La Sals...

I thought they were the La Sals.

Dead Horse or Dead Horse Point State Park?

Back
Top Bottom