Spring Time!

ski, great shots. Nice to see someone still closes eights, don't see it that often any more. Woke up to 1" of snow this morning, oh yea, spring in Truckee.

Thanks DLN! I've had lots of practice closing those eights. We have a big thunderstorm going over now, hail, a big temperature drop, and now graupel. Yup, spring!

Spring time and earning our turns and our WTW user name.

Likewise. I love corn season. These are from a tour yesterday. Of course, today it got cold again and snowed. Forecast looks like uck for the next week. Oh well, springtime in the mountains.

Me skinning up the drainage ahead of Brian:

CoonHill010.jpg

Ended up dropping the peak on the ridgline with the cornice above the big cliffband:

CoonHill011.jpg

Turns off the upper face from the cornice:

CoonHill075.jpg

CoonHill079.jpg

Heading into the lower basin. Good times.

CoonHill083.jpg

Wow, what a different world from down here in S NM right now. The entire Lincoln National Forest closing, lots of the Gila National Forest closing from out of control fire near the Gila Cliff Dwellings, evacuations in progress. Chiricahuas also being evacuated near Cave Creek from a big fire ands state highways were closed yesterday from blowing sand and dust. The Abrams fire (started by a tank) at White Sands Missile Range is all but out

Makers TeleMark, great stuff! Love that corn. Looking like we got a stormy weekend coming up putting a damper on going high plans.....but nothing like June and July skiing if the suncups don't get too bad.

Wow, what a different world from down here in S NM right now. The entire Lincoln National Forest closing, lots of the Gila National Forest closing from out of control fire near the Gila Cliff Dwellings, evacuations in progress. Chiricahuas also being evacuated near Cave Creek from a big fire ands state highways were closed yesterday from blowing sand and dust. The Abrams fire (started by a tank) at White Sands Missile Range is all but out

Mr. Barko, our camper friends got back from two weeks in New Mexico right before we left for spring break and told us about the extreme drought and fires. Very scary indeed. Stay safe!

Yeah, stay safe down there, but viva la nina, although if spring showed up again for more than a day, I wouldn't complain.

COZ010-101800-
/O.NEW.KGJT.WS.W.0019.110511T1200Z-110512T0600Z/
GORE AND ELK MOUNTAINS/CENTRAL MOUNTAIN VALLEYS- INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...ASPEN...VAIL...SNOWMASS
348 AM MDT TUE MAY 10 2011

..WINTER STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO MIDNIGHT MDT WEDNESDAY NIGHT...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN GRAND JUNCTION HAS ISSUED A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM 6 AM WEDNESDAY TO MIDNIGHT MDT WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* TIMING...SNOW BECOMES WIDESPREAD BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING AND
WILL CONTINUE THROUGH LATE WEDNESDAY NIGHT.

* SNOW ACCUMULATION...4 TO 7 INCHES WITH HEAVIER AMOUNTS UP TO 10
INCHES ABOVE 10000 FEET.

* SNOW LEVEL...8500 TO 9000 FEET TONIGHT LOWERING TO MOUNTAIN
BASES BY EARLY WEDNESDAY MORNING...BUT THE GREATEST SNOW
ACCUMULATIONS WILL REMAIN ABOVE 8500 FEET.

* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH...BECOMING NORTHWEST 10 TO 15 MPH
BY WEDNESDAY MORNING.

* VISIBILITY...LOWERING TO ONE-HALF MILE IN THE HEAVIER SNOW
SHOWERS.

* IMPACTS...THE HEAVIEST SNOW WILL FALL EAST OF A VAIL TO ASPEN
LINE. HAZARDOUS DRIVING CONDITIONS CAN BE EXPECTED ALONG
INTERSTATE 70 FROM VAIL TO THE SUMMIT OF VAIL PASS AND ALONG
HIGHWAY 24 FROM AVON TO LEADVILLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS AND BLOWING SNOW ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

Ahhh, springtime in New Mexico...
The Mayhill fire is just a few miles from my home. I haven't had to evacuate yet, and keep your fingers crossed that I don't. The FWC is all packed up with a bug-out bag and my important papers, just in case. Another reason to own an FWC/ATC!

Hope the closing of Lincoln NF keeps us safer until the dry lightning before the monsoon...

Here's a pic of the Mayhill fire this afternoon from my backyard. It's settled down some tonight. I was going to sneak off to Quemado Lake to test out my new float tube, but think I'd better stick close enough to home to evacuate my house-critters, if needed.
Mayhill_day2_small.jpg

Ahhh, springtime in New Mexico...
The Mayhill fire is just a few miles from my home. I haven't had to evacuate yet, and keep your fingers crossed that I don't. The FWC is all packed up with a bug-out bag and my important papers, just in case. Another reason to own an FWC/ATC!

Hope the closing of Lincoln NF keeps us safer until the dry lightning before the monsoon...

Here's a pic of the Mayhill fire this afternoon from my backyard. It's settled down some tonight. I was going to sneak off to Quemado Lake to test out my new float tube, but think I'd better stick close enough to home to evacuate my house-critters, if needed.
View attachment 11895

If you need a place for critters I have plenty.

All is well for me so far. The Mayhill fire has grown to 19,000 acres, but is burning away from my place now. There have been four houses burned (and numerous other structures), but not near where I live. Three of the houses belonged to one woman - hope she has good insurance.

Barko, thanks for the offer of space for critters. Things are looking much better today - enough so that I might still sneak off to Quemado Lake, or maybe Snow Lake. The Gila NF is still open, right? Just fire restrictions, I think.

31 degrees this morning, four inches of new snow, and we've been busy shaking the peach and apple trees to unload the snow and save branches.........when did spring start?

27 degrees and 3" this morning and still snowing, enough already.
Just looked at Sugar Bowl's web cams and it looks like 8-10" at the 6,800' level.

Spring, ever elusive. Rain, rain, rain. 1.73" last Wednesday according to neighbor's rain gauge. Maybe, it is a good thing that our camper won't be ready until August which is usually drier. I think I would even welcome snow as long as the sky had some blue patches.

A week ago (while staying in a motel in Escalante with nothing to do but watch TV and process photographs) I watched the 2004 movie "The Day After Tomorrow", in which Global Warming, aka "Climate Change" results in an ice age sweeping over much of the northern hemisphere -- in the space of a few days
rolleyes.gif
... Not very good science in that movie, but I couldn't help thinking about this thread while I watched the show.
ohmy.gif

(BTW: I'm in a motel in Torrey, UT tonight. Very pleasant temperatures in these parts currently
smile.gif
)

Back
Top Bottom