Steens fishing expedition

Occidental

Trail Master
You may have heard we have had a bit of fire and smoke in Oregon. We escaped Bend for a couple days of fresher air and fishing on The Steens.

https://www.occidentalist.org/a-breath-of-fresh-air/

We fished Wildhorse Lake and the Blitzen River, and enjoyed two good hikes. There were deer and coyotes too. Oh, yes, and one distant owl I didn't mention in the post, but always my favorite.

One of my favorite places. A pretty spectacular place. Last time my wife and I visited the area was about this time 2 years ago in 2018. We hadn't been to Page Springs in September for quite a while and were very surprised to see how busy it was compared to years back. It was filled every night with spillover outside of campsites and that was way pre-covid. Someone told us the Frenchglen Hotel were turning away people for their dinner by the dozens. Guess the Travel Oregon campaign for the "Oregon Outback" paid off for them.

I would have thought the Blitzen river would be really low but that looks great. The falls colors can be amazing. Haven't fished or backpacked into Wildhorse but it looks great.

kmcintyre said:
I would have thought the Blitzen river would be really low but that looks great. The falls colors can be amazing. Haven't fished or backpacked into Wildhorse but it looks great.
The Blitzen fishery is quite remarkable this time of year. Catch and release ethics, along with appropriate catch limits have kept fish populations up. The fish are starting to fatten for winter, and barbless hopper patterns work well.

There is a rumor going around (one that I am starting here) that Steens Mountain is being appropriately renamed “Steve’s Mountain”. I promise to share. :p

we hiked down to wildhorse 2 yrs ago, and got about 250 yds from the lake when a thunderstorm came rolling in. i decided to turn around and head back. rain, sleet, hail - got wet :). by the time we neared the ridge, the sun came out, and clothes were dry when we got to truck. sheesh. what flies worked at the lake ??

Thanks for the pics and TR. Disappointing to hear there were so many people but that seems to be the case just about everywhere these days.

Occidental said:
goinoregon - the hopper was the fly that worked the day we were there. I tried other dries and even a woolly bugger, but only the hopper produced fish.
Late season in the Steens is primarily a hopper driven fishery. Sometimes a large tied down caddis imitation (Like a woodchuck) will also work, but it’s better to have hoppers!

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Late season in the Steens is primarily a hopper driven fishery. Sometimes a large tied down caddis imitation (Like a woodchuck) will also work, but it’s better to have hoppers!
This begs the question: How many fish could a “Woodchuck” catch, If a woodchuck could catch fish? Sorry, I could not resist:).

Occidental said:
You may have heard we have had a bit of fire and smoke in Oregon. We escaped Bend for a couple days of fresher air and fishing on The Steens.

https://www.occidentalist.org/a-breath-of-fresh-air/

We fished Wildhorse Lake and the Blitzen River, and enjoyed two good hikes. There were deer and coyotes too. Oh, yes, and one distant owl I didn't mention in the post, but always my favorite.
Amazing report. Really appreciate your time and photos.

Rockaway said:
This begs the question: How many fish could a “Woodchuck” catch, If a woodchuck could catch fish? Sorry, I could not resist:).
The answer is straight forward. A woodchuck could catch as many fish as a woodchuck could catch, if a woodchuck could catch... fish. :p

Great post!

I was at the Steens last weekend. Given the conditions, I'd be surprised if the gates aren't closed now. I didn't have to shovel, chain and retreat, but it was close. It was difficult to find the road occasionally. There aren't markers up top because it's seasonal. I hit stealthy drifts that blasted snow completely over the top of the truck like a blissed out powder skier. Here's a view of Kiger that we don't often see. I was postholing above my knees to get out that far. It was 5 degrees.

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 76

Back
Top Bottom