Stock Tundra, FWC Eagle...safe?

stclair

Hi everyone, I have been planning to pick up my camper in Jackson early January. I've put together a nice set of Load E tires, heavier suspension, and I am waiting for my Deaver springs. I thought they would be here last month, but signals got crossed, and they are not. Not a huge deal, and they have been a pleasure to work with. Anyway, I have the time to get it, but the truck is not really ready. Would I be wrong to pick it up, and drive it back to VA with stock springs and C tires? Unsafe? Damage to truck? Any advice welcome....thanks!

I agree with Stew. Many people have stock Tundras with the Hawk model, which is bigger and heavier than the Eagle model.

I put my Hawk on my tundra and it had C rated tires. I just didn't go anywhere off road. I also kicked the pressure up to 45 pounds. On the way back from Jackson I only had 5 psi in my firestone bags. I got to the top of the hill between Jackson and Victor and my tie downs were loose. Make sure you check them. I also added jam nuts to the right had threads of the turnbuckles after I got home to keep them from loosening up. If you want to do that tell Denny and he will help. Denny is a super nice guy.

I have a 1st gen Tundra I'm running C tires(at max pressure)with a hawk and have had no issues, but will upgrade to E when these need replacing. You'll have some sidewall flex so the cross winds might have you slowing down.

Thanks everyone, I will go ahead with picking it up. I didn't want to end up with regrets or worse, rather than waiting a another month or so to pick it up.

After looking more today at the tires currently on the truck, I'm not even sure I'd call them "C" range tires. They're Bridgestone Dueler H/T 840s, and as far as I can tell have a max load range of 2403 lbs. A lot less than the Cooper ST Maxx tires have that are just sitting in the living room.

The tire will have the "class" imprinted on the sidewall.
But if you are not comfortable with the tires and have some that you feel better about go for it.At least it will give you peace of mind.
Frank

I wish! Springs won't be here in time for the "driving to see the Wife's family for Christmas, then I sneak over to Jackson and get my camper trip". I bought 285/75/16s but stock is 265/70/16. The fronts will rub. I actually have quite the nice little parts pile building: Icon Stage 4 suspension kit, 5 Cooper STMaxx tires, 5 Wheeler's 16x8 steelies, an ARB onboard compressor, and Lightforce 140s....just no leaf springs. I'll wait to install anything until I have all of the suspension parts. I still have my fingers crossed that leaf springs will get here. Thanks again for the advice! Really looking forward to pulling it all together!

I have 235/85/16's on mine right now. They don't touch and I can put chains on all the way around but I don't drive more that 5 mph with them on the front. Ron

Wow, that's a skinny tire! Looks like that's right around a 31, the 285/75s will have at a 33. Do you have a Tundra?

Those tires should fit, and rub only when turned hard or offroad. If it was me, Id mount the tires and pay attention to hard turning and keep it on the black top...just for piece of mind. It seems the tire can be the weakest link in a loaded truck (ie camper) situation.

We need pics of the build too!

stclair said:
Wow, that's a skinny tire! Looks like that's right around a 31, the 285/75s will have at a 33. Do you have a Tundra?

Ya I have a Tundra. Like the skinny tires for snow.

Very cool. I was considering the Cooper ST Maxx in a 255/85/16, but the release keeps getting delayed. Oh well, maybe next time.

Back
Top Bottom