Summer Scene (and some aren't)

MarkBC

The Weatherman
Site Team
Today, June 1, is the first day of meteorological summer.

But...I left the house at 11am (for REI) and wore long pants and a lightweight jacket...so I guess today is one of those that "aren't" (summer). :sleep:

We've been pretty fortunate in having a fairly mild start to Summer. Keeping the flooding from the snowmelt to a minimum.

Thunderstorms here early this week on Monday and Tuesday. We woke to rain this morning, and we had light rain most of the day. Now we have a thunderstorm hammering us. We expect more of the same tomorrow and Monday. It is washing down some of the ponderosa pine pollen. :)

Heavy rain and hail from a thunderstorm cell. ~1.4" . local storm drains in neighborhood plugged and washed over roads. I needed to get the snow shovel to clear a ice dam that was backing up large volume of water. Rain gutters filled with hail and pugged downspouts caused water to overflow over the gutters. Since living at this house I have not seen this much water this fast. Impressive.
20230610_150704_resized.jpg

A pleasant start to this morning… some are mountain goats, some are not. The not are usually small non moving patches of snow.

I scoped at least 7 at about the 7,500’ level on the peak west of the house. Two nannies with kids.

The count is up to 9. Two of last years kids came out of the timber and are with a group of 3 adults.

edit: Another wildlife treat. We have two nice mule deer bucks browsing south of the house. They both will be 4 points, but the larger of the two looks like he could easily be 6 on each side.

Today I'm in an area known for tremendous monsoon thunderstorms -- southern Arizona.
But, dang it, that ain't happening here now!

Looks like we got a few days with un-summery weather here in Bend.

IMG_20230618_131950.jpg

Normal/average high temperature for these dates is mid-70s.

Mighty Dodge Ram said:
6:10 am here in Prineville, OR...33*. Never got above 55* yesterday. That seems unusual for around here, we always visit this time of year.
It was the same in Baker county. Snow down to the 5,000 foot range.

A friend of mine lives in Winnipeg, Canada, and this morning I checked my AccuWeather app to see what weather was in store up there today:
IMG_20230627_120414.jpg

Huh...loonies?? Don't they come in all sizes? :oops:

A little more research:
IMG_20230627_120617.jpg

Ahhh... they mean: "size of quarters"!

Vic Harder said:
Slightly bigger than a US quarter, but still big... luckily, not as big as the average politician/aka loonie....
My Winnipeg friend tells me that the $2 coin is known as a "toonie". :eek: A $2 coin?!
Dang, it's like a whole other country up there! :oops:

Back
Top Bottom