Summer Scene (and some aren't)

Things are finally starting to look normal here. Now maybe my tomatoes will get ripe.

gallery_176_163_49316.jpg

Ted said:
Things are finally starting to look normal here. Now maybe my tomatoes will get ripe.

gallery_176_163_49316.jpg
whoa, that's hot! (40*C or so) It never gets that warm here in Calgary, and our tomatoes ripen just fine... in September :LOL:
Seriously.

From one of the coldest Junes many of us can remember to hotter than .................
summer is here. When we see ninety here at home it is exceedingly hot.

Excessive Heat Warning
Code:
URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
950 AM PDT Wed Jul 12 2023

CAZ068-069-131200-
/O.UPG.KSTO.EH.A.0002.230714T1800Z-230718T0300Z/
/O.NEW.KSTO.HT.Y.0002.230715T1800Z-230717T0600Z/
/O.NEW.KSTO.EH.W.0002.230715T1800Z-230717T0600Z/
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the cities of Chester, Quincy, and Blue Canyon
950 AM PDT Wed Jul 12 2023

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM SATURDAY TO 11 PM
PDT SUNDAY...
...HEAT ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM 11 AM SATURDAY TO 11 PM PDT
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Dangerously hot conditions with daytime high temperatures
  95 to 108 and overnight lows in the 70s (except upper 50s to
  mid 60s in the mountain valleys).

* WHERE...Western Plumas County/Lassen Park and West Slope
  Northern Sierra Nevada Counties. Excessive Heat Warning for
  below 4500 feet, Heat Advisory for above 4500 feet.

* WHEN...From 11 AM Saturday to 11 PM PDT Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Extreme heat will significantly increase the
  potential for heat related illnesses, particularly for those
  working or participating in outdoor activities.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Hottest temperatures are expected over the
  weekend with widespread Major Heat Risk and areas of Extreme
  Heat Risk. Conversely, area waterways will continue to run cold
  and fast, creating dangerous conditions for those seeking
  relief in rivers and lakes.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out
of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young
children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles
under any circumstances.

Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or
evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat
stroke. Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when
possible. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent
rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone
overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.
Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 9 1 1.

I volunteered to work the Triathlon (formerly Eppies Great Race) Saturday. I might have reconsidered if I'd known it was going to be well over 100.

I really needed to find a way to feel better about how godawful hot it is here, and forecast to go even higher.

I checked out the data online from the weather station at Badwater Basin in Death Valley National Park -

Badwater Basin Weather Station

I am, now, feeling much much better. :)

I need to pay more attention to the forecast before volunteering. I'm surprised only two people had heat issues at the Great American Triathlon. At least I had shade and a fan!

craig333 said:
I need to pay more attention to the forecast before volunteering. I'm surprised only two people had heat issues at the Great American Triathlon. At least I had shade and a fan!
Craig, good news with both items!

pvstoy said:
interesting thought, could some city's become un-liveable in the summer in the future? Phoenix?
It is looking that way. What captures my attention is the incredible amount of power that is being used now to enable people to live in arid, desert areas now.

Worked with a guy back in early 90s, he and his expectant wife decided to move to Glendale AZ, suburb of Phoenix. (I live in Ventura County CA) Low housing prices, indoor schools, etc. My reaction: "I love the desert but...it"s the desert!" People make decisions based on short-term economic realities without considering the long-term. His utility bills are astronomical! And his descriptions of the sandstorms...haboobs, I believe they're called...are frightening.

pvstoy said:
interesting thought, could some city's become un-liveable in the summer in the future? Phoenix?
While the answer to this is a definite Yes, the flip side also exists. In 50 years most of California's agriculture will no longer exist. But areas historically considered too cold to grow anything will become the new agriculture areas. Much of central Canada is expected to become the new bread basket to the world. It would be quite interesting to live long enough to see the changes that will happen over the next 50 to 100 years. The world will certainly be different from the one we know now.

Ted said:
While the answer to this is a definite Yes, the flip side also exists. In 50 years most of California's agriculture will no longer exist. But areas historically considered too cold to grow anything will become the new agriculture areas. Much of central Canada is expected to become the new bread basket to the world. It would be quite interesting to live long enough to see the changes that will happen over the next 50 to 100 years. The world will certainly be different from the one we know now.
If by central Canada you mean Alberta and Saskatchewan, we are currently experiencing drought conditions… our bread basket has dried up.

Ted said:
<snip>

It would be quite interesting to live long enough to see the changes that will happen over the next 50 to 100 years. The world will certainly be different from the one we know now.
Ted, no doubt about the world being different, but I don’t want to live long enough to see those differences. IMO, the plutocrats are going kill us off as a species.

We have met the enemy and he is us.
Pogo

Here in Bend we've gotten a break from our heat wave, temperatures forecast to be at or below averages.
IMG_20230724_105321.jpg

On the downside, smoke has moved in from fires to the south. Haziness is visible in just a hundred yards of viewing distance.
IMG_20230724_110029.jpg

MarkBC said:
Here in Bend we've gotten a break from our heat wave, temperatures forecast to be at or below averages.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20230724_105321.jpg

On the downside, smoke has moved in from fires to the south. Haziness is visible in just a hundred yards of viewing distance.
attachicon.gif
IMG_20230724_110029.jpg
Perhaps we are getting a break also. This evening it is ten degrees cooler (78) than this time last evening (88). It is still darn hot for here.

The crazy thing, sort of, is that with it cooler I can open windows earlier in the evening to bring in cooler air... BUT... when I open windows I immediately smell the smoke strongly in the house.

MarkBC said:
The crazy thing, sort of, is that with it cooler I can open windows earlier in the evening to bring in cooler air... BUT... when I open windows I immediately smell the smoke strongly in the house.
We had a small fire to the south of us that brought in a slight smell of smoke yesterday when we opened up. It can go either way in a blink of an eye.

Back
Top Bottom