SUMMER SUMMER

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I guess you are getting smoke from the Electra fire?

Yep summer is here.Stay safe.
Frank
Yes, that is what the satellite photos show. Maybe some from the Mariposa Grove fire also.

We're still generally smoke/fire-free here in Central Oregon, presumably thanks to the wet, cold spring (thru early summer) we've had this year.
There were a few lightning-caused fires from the thunder storms a week ago, but all little.

With several days of hotter-than-average and sunny and dry coming up this week I expect our reprieve from fire won't last much longer.

Weather_20220710-1.jpg
(from Weather Underground)

Average high temperatures this time of year are mid-80s (°F)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I guess you are getting smoke from the Electra fire?

Yep summer is here.Stay safe.
Frank

ski3pin said:
Yes, that is what the satellite photos show. Maybe some from the Mariposa Grove fire also.
Frank, it looks like - checking fire reports and satellite photos again - the smoke is from the Washburn Fire threatening Yosemite's Mariposa Grove.

ski3pin said:
Frank, it looks like - checking fire reports and satellite photos again - the smoke is from the Washburn Fire threatening Yosemite's Mariposa Grove.
There was a good story about the Washburn fire on the NBC evening news last night.
Seems like the fire is moving NE of the grove.
Just have to hope they can get some containment quickly.

On another note not fire related though.

Seems like a hiker had to be rescued from that trail near Mariposa that claimed the lives of
that family last year.

The hiker was from out of state I think and just wanted to check out where the incident happened.
Stupid!

Frank

I don't like the weather forecast for next week in Central Oregon:
Bend Weather_20220721-1.jpg

So I'm going to spend next week where I can experience this weather:
Florence Weather_20220721-1.jpg

I have a week+ reserved in a USFS campground on the Siltcoos River within walking distance of the frigid northeastern Pacific Ocean.

Waxmyrtle CG-01.jpg

Oregon State Parks are totally booked up -- even weekdays, but USFS campgrounds are relatively available -- even some weekends...presumably because they (generally) don't have electric or water hookups.

That's a great place stayed there several years ago.
Enjoy the frosty Pacific water.

Are you taking your kayak? Check out the lake just south of
Florence at Honeyman SP. Great place to paddle.
Frank

Siltcoos Lake is a good place to kayak and to fish. It is a relatively shallow lake, typically less than 10-12 ft. Yellow perch and trout are abundant & available for a nice supper. But be prepared for salmon and even sea monsters (sturgeon). With some friends, we have stayed at Ada Resort for fishing and were treated to otter families after dark. Good pan fishing amongst the railroad trestle supports on the inland shore.

If it is very hot in inland valleys, the wind can come up in the afternoon as the marine air rushes inland to replace thermals in the Willamette valley. The lake can develop some whitecaps from heavy winds at those times.

I need to get back down there. It's been since before Covid.

Paul

Some impressive totals around Markleeville. Hopefully enough rain to keep the lightning from starting fires.

pvstoy said:
Teledork got some rain down your way today? Lots of flashflood warnings in the burn scar areas.
Finally got some really heavy rain today, Thursday (4th) but have yet to see any severe consequences.

The West Walker was turbid brown with mud in the 395 Walker Canyon this afternoon. We got hit the last four days with thunderstorms in the backcountry.

West Walker at Mountain Gate. A half dozen guys were fishing - one wading with a fly rod.

Attachments

• IMG_0936.jpeg
    IMG_0936.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 33

Back
Top Bottom