Summertime + Fridge = 46°+

hoyden

Lady Bug
While I was campering with my Fleet up in Utah this past four+ days, my 2-way fridge temps got up over 46°. I'm pretty paranoid about food... so I'm not going to eat the chicken I had in there.

Is there a good way to keep temps down for our fridges in hot weather?

I had issues with mine until I had it vented correctly and added a computer fan to it. For a few years FWC didn't have any venting from them from the factory and become pretty clear of the issue. From what we have found from the mfg's, is they require minimum of 36 square inches and more air flow the better. The compressors get over 140 degrees when running so the heat has to go some where. I live in Las Vegas and took mine out a few weeks back with it was in the high 90's and mine kept right around mid 30's that I had it set too. Several other's have posted topics regarding this. I'll see if I can find them and post them for you.

Mine has never gotten that warm and I've camped a lot in 100 degree temps, but it does run pretty much all the time during the day. I'm going to add a fan in the upper outside vented space to keep the air circulating.

Make sure your fridge isn't on 'vent' too, it's the thing above the door which keeps it open a bit when the fridge is not in use.

I only have a 100w solar panel from the factory and had AT add another 100w after Expo which at least helps keep my batteries topped off.

hoyden said:
While I was campering with my Fleet up in Utah this past four+ days, my 2-way fridge temps got up over 46°. I'm pretty paranoid about food... so I'm not going to eat the chicken I had in there.

Just checking: by 2-way you mean compressor fridge?

How hot is it in your camper when it's 46° in the fridge?

Further..just checking.

What model/manufacturer of refrigerator? What model year of camper?

It does make a difference.

Phil

It was actually somewhat vibrating the whole camper at one point, working so hard.

Oh, 2015 Fleet.

@ MarkBC - yes, the 2-way compressor fridge. (the 3-way is "gas absorption")

@ 97Granby - thanks for the info. My Fleet is from last year, so I wonder if they now vent?

@ Stalking Light - I'll check that "vent" slight open thing - I know of what you speak, and I'm pretty sure that isn't open, but I'll double check to make certain.

Dunno how hot it was in my camper, but I was in Utah probably in the mid-90's outside.

2015 Fleet + Dometic 2-way fridge + 160 solar + two batteries. :)

hoyden, it looks like you have the standard upper and lower vents for your fridge -

upload_-1

Did it come with the additional fan in the upper vent?

you will know right away if you have the factory vents. They will be on the outside of your camper right behind your fridge and be pretty large. Like 12x24 inch large and there would be a top vent and a lower vent.

ski3pin said:
hoyden, it looks like you have the standard upper and lower vents for your fridge -

upload_-1

Did it come with the additional fan in the upper vent?
I dunno! How do I check?

hoyden said:
I dunno! How do I check?
By looking from the outside through the vent you should see a small fan that looks like a computer fan. I suspect it would be running when you have the fridge on. When the fridge is on can you feel air exiting the top vent? Fans have been added to aid in air circulation - air comes in the bottom vent and exits the top vent. I do not know if it was standard for FWC to install a fan but, as many posts on FWC attest, many members have added them to get hot air away from the condenser coils..

ski3pin said:
By looking from the outside through the vent you should see a small fan that looks like a computer fan. I suspect it would be running when you have the fridge on. When the fridge is on can you feel air exiting the top vent? Fans have been added to aid in air circulation - air comes in the bottom vent and exits the top vent. I do not know if it was standard for FWC to install a fan but, as many posts on FWC attest, many members have added them to get hot air away from the condenser coils..
Okay, thanks! I'll check after work today.

hoyden said:

Some things to check:

1. Make sure your door is sealing good (a piece of paper should have resistance when pulling out).
  2. Check the reset button.
  3. Have at least the sq in of venting refrigerator manufacturer specifies (mine required 36 sq in).
  4. Check the condenser in back for dust/dirt buildup.
  5. Check the thermostat (if your frig was not running constantly at 46° it was either set too low or is malfunctioning).
  6. If it has a vent for storage make sure it is closed.
  7. Air should be able to flow under the heat exchanger inside.
  8. Check voltage at the compressor; should be 12 volts minimum.

To enhance cooling:

1. Add insulation around the refrigerator (I have 2" of polyiso around the sides, top and bottom of mine).
  2. Add a fan to move air out the vents (mine turns on at 80°).
  3. Add a fan to force air through the condenser (not possible on some refrigerators).
  4. Add small fans inside to move air over the heat exchanger.
  5. Park so that the refrigerator side is in the shade.
  6. Keep the refrig as full as possible. If you are not using the whole refrigerator space, fill it up with frozen water bottles.
  7. Open it seldom and for as little time as possible.
Thats all I can think of for now. I've had my old ('82) Norcold in 100°+ inside temperatures and it keeps below 34°, although it runs almost constantly (~80%).

jim

hoyden said:
Okay, thanks! I'll check after work today.
Dawn, I don't believe these were stock, possibly an option. Regardless, a capable person like you would have no issues installing one if it's not present.

The switch panel below the refer in my Grandby has a labeled blank for the fan.

I have the same vintage camper and fridge and there is a fan buit in to the compressor part of the fridge (hard to see unless you take the grate off). I'm going to add a second fan to mine. There does seem to be adequate ventilation around the fridge but the built in fan is fairly small.

JaSAn said:
Some things to check:

1. <snip>
thanks, JaSAn!

It wasn't running continuous 46+ - it would drop down to a good range (low/mid 30's) but I noticed it was working really hard sometimes (at one point I could feel a steady vibration in my camper!) and often when I'd check, it would have inched up into that hotter range. In my winter/Spring campering, I had never noticed the fridge - but feeling vibration this trip was concerning.

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Dawn, I don't believe these were stock, possibly an option. Regardless, a capable person like you would have no issues installing one if it's not present.
Thanks! :)

JaSAn said:
  1. Add a fan to move air out the vents (mine turns on at 80°).
  2. Add a fan to force air through the condenser (not possible on some refrigerators).
  3. Add small fans inside to move air over the heat exchanger.
Yes, but if using a modern compressor fridge like a Dometic or Isotherm that uses either a BD35F or BD50F Danfoss compressor *and* tapping off the fridge's wiring, make sure to not exceed the fan output's rating of .5A sustained or 1A burst for 2 seconds or the compressor will turn off as per the the attached document in this link.

I can't help but wonder if folks are not seeing reduced duty cycles on the fridge because the combo of the stock fan and a second or even a third is causing the fault to shut off the compressor and likely the fans with it in a "Fan Over-current Cut-out". I'm a bit surprised folks are not contacting the manufacturer of the fridge before hooking a fan up to the fridge's wiring, that is what I did and they sent me the tech manual in PDF.

Kodachrome said:
Yes, but if using a modern compressor fridge like a Dometic or Isotherm that uses either a BD35F or BD50F Danfoss compressor *and* tapping off the fridge's wiring, make sure to not exceed the fan output's rating of .5A sustained or 1A burst for 2 seconds or the compressor will turn off as per the the attached document in this link.

I can't help but wonder if folks are not seeing reduced duty cycles on the fridge because the combo of the stock fan and a second or even a third is causing the fault to shut off the compressor and likely the fans with it in a "Fan Over-current Cut-out". I'm a bit surprised folks are not contacting the manufacturer of the fridge before hooking a fan up to the fridge's wiring, that is what I did and they sent me the tech manual in PDF.
I agree, I found the wiring to tap into the line simple enough, but I really didn't want to fry any anything in the fridges computer board. It doesn't take much to overload something that has a tiny 20+ gauge wire on it. I wired a dedicated 8 gauge wire to the fridge and used the wire that was behind the fridge to run the fan only and a usb charger. The factory wiring was 10-12 gauge. so just on the low end of what was recommended by Dometic. I installed car audio during college and saw a guy almost burn down his car because the wire was too small of gauge and he was running to much power though it. melted the wire and had black marks on his carpet. I have always believed over kill is underrated.

Back
Top Bottom