Summertime + Fridge = 46°+

gaylon said:
Did you solve this? My refer fan came installed with a switch, but it would be easy to retro one in. Keep on campering ;)
Hi!

Nope. Going campering next weekend, or the following one and will keep a close eye on the fridge temps.
Mine didn't come with a switch! I wonder if that comes stock with Grandbys / full-size FWC-ers?
There is a spot on my switches labeled for one, but it just has a blank in it.

hoyden said:
Hi!

Nope. Going campering next weekend, or the following one and will keep a close eye on the fridge temps.
Mine didn't come with a switch! I wonder if that comes stock with Grandbys / full-size FWC-ers?
There is a spot on my switches labeled for one, but it just has a blank in it.
It was an option whe we purchased our Grandby. Not that expensive as I recall.

Before you tear into your fridge, did you double check the thermometer or thermometer sensor? It could be instrumentation error. Is the freezer making ice? I'm have worried about fridge temp as well due to concerns for my daughter's milk. I found that adding an ice pack or bag of frozen food helps the fridge to maintain its temperature. If weather is consistent, the fridge actually works better toward the end of our trips. Good luck.

super doody said:
Before you tear into your fridge, did you double check the thermometer or thermometer sensor? It could be instrumentation error. Is the freezer making ice? I'm have worried about fridge temp as well due to concerns for my daughter's milk. I found that adding an ice pack or bag of frozen food helps the fridge to maintain its temperature. If weather is consistent, the fridge actually works better toward the end of our trips. Good luck.
I do keep two frozen small bottles of water in the freezer.
A friend recommended putting ice cubes in a ziploc bag and then you can see if any melting happens.
I'm going to try that next time I go campering (probably this coming weekend)

I keep some blue ice in my freezer which I rotate to a Yeti cooler in my truck for soft drinks. The blue ice always freezes but when it's hot my fridge runs pretty much constantly. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer on my fridge door and keep the outdoor sensor in the fridge and it has occasionally gotten up in the low 40's on really hot days but so far nothing has spoiled. I try to keep it around 37-39 in the fridge.

Stalking Light said:
I keep some blue ice in my freezer which I rotate to a Yeti cooler in my truck for soft drinks. The blue ice always freezes but when it's hot my fridge runs pretty much constantly. I have an indoor/outdoor thermometer on my fridge door and keep the outdoor sensor in the fridge and it has occasionally gotten up in the low 40's on really hot days but so far nothing has spoiled. I try to keep it around 37-39 in the fridge.
The ice cubes in zip lock bag is so that if it gets too warm and melts, even if it re-freezes, I will have a visible proof cuz the ice cubes will have changed shape. I have a little fridge thermometer in there, but considering getting one of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004QJVU78/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

FYI...I believe the FWC Isotherm manual states that it will NOT freeze water in the freeze, only keep it longer.

"The freezer compartment can be used to store frozen foods for a few days but is not cold enough to freeze them." [Page 24]

Phil

Wallowa said:
FYI...I believe the FWC Isotherm manual states that it will NOT freeze water in the freeze, only keep it longer.

"The freezer compartment can be used to store frozen foods for a few days but is not cold enough to freeze them." [Page 24]

Phil
I don't doubt that - it's a dorm-style fridge and the freezer isn't a real separate secure compartment.
It seems to do pretty darn good though with keeping things frozen

Wallowa said:

Phil

Interesting, but my fridge is a Dometic and it definitely does freeze things. It freezes my blue ice and it freezes meat as well; that's about all I have put in there that was not frozen when I put it in, but it was sure frozen when I took it out.

Maybe that's one reason the Isotherm is more efficient than the Dometic.

Wallowa said:

Phil
Interesting. My Isotherm Cruise 65 has no problem freezing ice cubes, it even came with a little covered metal tray for making ice cubes. I have also put unfrozen steaks in there when plans changed and they froze up rock solid. I am using the same remote thermometer that Hoyden linked above and my freezer temp usually hovers around 7-9 degrees and the fridge temp 34-37 degrees. I do not have any extra exhaust fans but do have louvered vents. I keep my fridge running all the time rather than just turning it on for trips, thermostat is typically set around 6.

Cayuse said:
Interesting. My Isotherm Cruise 65 has no problem freezing ice cubes, it even came with a little covered metal tray for making ice cubes. I have also put unfrozen steaks in there when plans changed and they froze up rock solid. I am using the same remote thermometer that Hoyden linked above and my freezer temp usually hovers around 7-9 degrees and the fridge temp 34-37 degrees. I do not have any extra exhaust fans but do have louvered vents. I keep my fridge running all the time rather than just turning it on for trips, thermostat is typically set around 6.

Our's is the Isotherm cr130..the ice cube tray sounds like the same we have, cute but not much to shout about...very tiny.

Honestly we have not attempted to freeze water in our Isotherm...but have a trip coming up and will attempt it..

Thanks for the input...we use a setting of 4 for food preservation, but crank it up to try and freeze ice...we have an internal thermometer only but will take a look at the remote your referenced...

Phil

Cayuse said:
<snip> t even came with a little covered metal tray for making ice cubes. <snip>
YOU GOT ICE CUBE TRAYS?!? I was bamboozled!*

:D

* I think my fridge is smaller than yours in your ginormous Grandby!

hoyden said:
YOU GOT ICE CUBE TRAYS?!? I was bamboozled!*

:D

* I think my fridge is smaller than yours in your ginormous Grandby!
That would be tray singular and it is just about big enough for a couple Scotch on the rocks before having to be replenished for the next day.

Remembering that there should always be something for scale that is a Victorinox Super Tinker.
img_146468_4_2a9e90fe66fa88b587c47cc6fd028b24.jpg

hoyden said:
Oh! Cute ice tray! And a couplea scotch on the rocks is perfect! :D
Put me in that column...single malt/peaty please! ;)

Seriously the tray is a joke...unless you don't have any other ice!

Phil

Okay, when are we all meeting up for campering with peaty single malt scotch with teeny ice cubes and ice cream sammiches?

hoyden said:
Okay, when are we all meeting up for campering with peaty single malt scotch with teeny ice cubes and ice cream sammiches?
Oct. 21st-24th of course :rolleyes:

The best thing about the tray is that with the snap-on lid water doesn't go sloshing all over the freezer if you are driving down the road while making ice.

hoyden said:
How 'bout New Years 2017, Frostbite Falls ,Minnesota? :p

Back
Top Bottom