Summertime + Fridge = 46°+

I hooked up a second fan to my fridge today, so I'll see if it improves the performance of my Dometic 65.

My fridge had the black and blue wires connected to it and I used a Hella 30 amp relay to hook it up.

Terminals 30 and 86 were connected to the 'blue' (positive) wire, terminal 87 was connected to the positive side of the fan, terminal 85 was connected to the 'F' terminal (fourth from top) on the fridge and the negative side of the fan was connected to the black (negative) wire.

Second fan runs only when first fan and compressor are on.

I put some insulation on the sides yesterday.
There's a note on the bottom access door that says to keep that area (outward facing) clear.
But I wonder if it means the upper part with the fan and vents, because that bottom area is just the box?

Need to keep the sides clear so air can be drawn up from the bottom. I put a piece of reflectix on the outward facing part of mine for when I park with that side facing the sun, but I have never felt any temperature difference from ambient on the lower part.

Stalking Light said:
Need to keep the sides clear so air can be drawn up from the bottom. I put a piece of reflectix on the outward facing part of mine for when I park with that side facing the sun, but I have never felt any temperature difference from ambient on the lower part.
Oh! Der.
Well, guess that's coming out after work today!

Alley-Kat said:
I'm not an Electrical Engineer, however, let's see if my research has been successful.

From those that are talking about powering the OEM and AUX fridge fans via a sugar cube relay, I had to refresh my memory of a single pole single throw relay and what terminal connections are connected to which wires and what goes on inside the relay.

This is what I found. Maybe this will help others to also understand.

img_146784_4_27a6157223ece94393a4b20420c252b3.jpg

And, if I understand it all, then here is the original wiring to the OEM fan and the new wiring with a sugar cube SPST relay to the OEM and AUX fans. (Danfoss BD35/50F compressor fridge)

img_146784_6_cdcc55c4883ca670a4605929b85ea75e.jpg

So, correct me if I'm wrong...

The circuit that used to power the OEM fan is now only powering/triggering the sugar cube relay, reducing the load on the fridge electronic unit.

The "+12 VDC" on the right side of the sugar cube relay is a new electrical source, not connected to the fridge's electronic unit, maybe connected to the 12 VDC line before the fridge, or even a seperate direct line from the battery (which would work - either?, or be better?).

Corrections?

What I don't know is which sugar cube relay will work.
I'm not an Electrical Engineer.

I can see that the fridge electronic unit will do 0.5 amps continously when the fan is activated, and I can add up the amps my OEM and AUX fan will use, however, the sugar cube characteristics I've looked up online just don't have any meaning for me.

Does anyone have a web link to a sugar cube relay, along with a way to mount or hold the sugar cube relay?
Or, can anyone give the characteristics of a sugar cube relay that will work and I can search for that either online, or at my local electronics supply store.
That's basically what I just did using a 30a auto relay (Hella type).

Back
Top Bottom