T-boned in NM truck and camper gone

Carl

Did the frame flex ? : )

Once you get sorted out it would be very interesting to know or see the damage to your camper.

I would not be surprised if it can still be used.

So glad you are okay and would help if I lived closer.

David Graves

The truck and camper are totaled. I got a 2006 Tundra 4x4 V8 access cab with 140k miles for $10k in Albuquerque. Replacing my totaled 2002 4x4 V6 AC Tundra. So I’m feeding better.

carld said:
The truck and camper are totaled. I got a 2006 Tundra 4x4 V8 access cab with 140k miles for $10k in Albuquerque. Replacing my totaled 2002 4x4 V6 AC Tundra. So I’m feeding better.
Seems like things are working out for you.
Having the newer V8 Tundra will be a nice step up.
Hope you have as good lick with a new camper setup.
Frank

carld said:
Very nice, I really liked my old Tundra, I'm sure you will like the V8...

I'm thinking about just getting a panther shell. My ocelot was taylored for the 2002 Tundra type 1 and want to do the same. I'm thinking just how often really need heater, and maybe a cooler with a drain is more reliable than a frige. And then there is all that overhead for a frig like power or propane. Maybe just a simple stove with a 1 lb canster from walmart and a 2 gal water, at least to start out. We just down sizes to a smaller place in Texas, but now I have a wood shop so anything is possible.
I salvaged the battery, battery isolator, solar panels, solar controler from camper No. 1, the cabinets. fridge. and heater were distroyed. Maybe the side frame, roof could be salvage but it's in Espanola NM.

I found that building out my Grandby was almost as enjoyable as using it.

Glad you weren't hurt. Stuff is replaceable, body parts not so much.

carld - what a story! As all have said, we are so glad you were unhurt and that, now, the replacement process is on.

This could happen to all of us in the blink of an eye.

Best of luck as you deal with the aftermath.

ski3pin said:
carld - what a story! As all have said, we are so glad you were unhurt and that, now, the replacement process is on.

This could happen to all of us in the blink of an eye.

Best of luck as you deal with the aftermath.
+1

Years ago in Utah driving to Cedar City a truck came to a side road and was able to see it at the last moment and drove off the road Bonnie brush hopping. It was a "T" intersection and the person did a high speed left turn to make it. As Ski says it could happen to us all.

Glad there is no lingering health, hospital trauma to deal with!

I'm kind of excited thinking about how to build out the panther shell and anxious about the insurance settlement.
Thinking about a doing a front dinette with a low center of gravity water tank and no propane.
RV water tanks has an 8x11x48" tank that can be centered mounted at the front. For the fridge
the Truck Fridge TB51 is 14x20x23". For cooking just using a portable Colman style cook top
and for heat a portable buddy heater. Normally don't use a heater except on cool evening but
not at night, just a good sleeping bag. By the time I get coffee going in the morning I don't
need a heater. I know the humidity issues with the heater, just use it to warm up in the evening
in dry climates its OK. I saved my two 50W solar panels and MPPT Victron controller, control display,
battery isolator and battery from old camper.

Attachments

• CamperLayout.JPG
    CamperLayout.JPG
    99.2 KB · Views: 143
Two critiques of your design:
  1. It looks like a tight squeeze into the left front seat. Could you move the sink a little to the rear to give more room and/or notch the table?
  2. Not much storage. You could add a cabinet under/over the refrigerator, reduce counter space and build cabinets up (and use table as your counter), eliminate right side window and build cabinets there.
I am really enjoying my buildout and think I got a better, more useful interior than the standard factory. Have fun!

Sorry to hear about that my friend. Glad you are ok and wish you all the best in the coming days, what with adjusters and the other party. Hope he had insurance.
Again all the best.

I'll have to make some adjustments will make when I get there. For commando camping in the suburbs
the front seats are down and table fold up with top down. With the table down it makes a large bench seat.
I changed to the R49AC/DC Truckfrig with a large 1.5' foot door under and a 2" drawer on top.
All the cabinets have full storage and also storage under seats. Have to work on the color schema.

Attachments

• camper.JPG
    camper.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 114
  • camper rightJPG.JPG
    camper rightJPG.JPG
    104.4 KB · Views: 104

Back
Top Bottom