The Dog Rescue Thread

Thanks DD. The topic certainly "strayed" :D from it's original course/intent.

woof, woof.

That's not what Domino told Diego......

That's true...he said he'd much rather be on the boat than the back seat of any truck..:thumb:

Attachments

• Domino1c.jpg
    Domino1c.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 187
You all suck!

All these dog threads made be go looking at petfinder again while I had some time to kill as I painfully teased myself by looking at dogs that need adoption again and I see this fellow:
WA138.13240204-1-pn.jpg

http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=13240204

Me and the lady both want a dog but feel like we aren't the ideal candidates due to work. Normal day we leave the house around 6:30am and don't get back till 4:30pm if we come straight home or an hour/two later if we hit the gym. Assuming we work something out with the gym that 10hrs seems like a mighty long time to leave a dog sitting alone. I could put in a dog run so he could be outside but that still seems like a long time. What say ya all, we still being responsible by holding off or being to conservative?

That's a tough call...

I completely understand how you feel. I don't have a new dog for just those reasons. Time....

I'm lucky that my SO has her own place and the two dogs... but, she is a nurse and works 12 hour days so she's gone up to 14 hours sometimes... The dogs do fine. Mostly because there are two of them. We do everything we can to take them everywhere we go for longer than a day...

But they are older dogs and not puppies....

Good luck. One of the things that our local shelter let's volunteers who've gone through a training do is let people take the dogs out for a day with a vest that says Adopt Me on it. :D

It lets you get hits on the dogs and gives them both more socializing time away from the shelter and more "air time" for people to see that they are available.

CB

Hey pods

I'm glad to see you/the lady weighing such challenges/decisions so carefully.
It's a hard decision and a long-term commitment, for sure.

A few ideas to fuel thought:

If you did get a dog...

maybe hold off on a "puppy"? An older dog will be far more mellow and will be able to deal with being alone longer.

Definitely do a dog run. Make it so they can choose to be inside or outside

I think it would be imperative that you nix the gym and take the dog running nightly as a form of exercise for everyone. 8 hours of alone time isn't optimal...but it is certainly doable if you give your dog a GOOD workout daily. (1-2 hours)

Investigate hiring a dog service (or family member) to come by and walk your dog mid-day.

and the BEST option, IMO.... (as CABn also said)

Think about just diving in and getting TWO dogs. Dogs can entertain each other better than we can....and if you pair the right 2 dogs together it'll be like having one...and 99 times out of 100...you'll end any seperation issues.

Another thing that is >>>very important

Yeah we've been holding off on a dog for 3years now because we were gone a lot more. Now we're not going to as many places we couldn't bring a dog along so that has improved but the work thing still hasn't changed.

Main reason for the puppy is we have a 7-8year old cat that the dog would need to get along with and vice-versa. Having a puppy growing up around the cat would likely make the two comfortable with each other.

A dog run connected to the house would be a bit more problematic but I have no issue building a nice large/insulated dog house.

We're transplants, there is no family in the area to rely on (this also comes up as the kid discussions ensue).

Wasn't readily down for 2 dogs but it does have some merit.

We are really interested in lab mutts (black lab being the favorite). It fits our camping lifestyle but clashes with the work thing... I'll pick up a lotto ticket on the way home, haha!

More likely that not we'll still hold off unless enough logical work arounds get ironed out so it would be a successful environment for a dog.

Some dogs do well inside for long periods, others don't. Its really hard to tell which will tolerate it well. Yuma would escape the yard when I kept him outside. You wouldn't believe it but I tried hard to keep him in. Really hard. He's always behaved close to perfectly in the house, even when left inside for long periods. But its not fair to make a dog hold it for 9 -11 hours. Especially if they aren't feeling well.

So I finally broke down and installed a doggy from the kitchen to the garage, and one from the garage to the yard. Instant happiness. Never tried to escape again. Plus it eliminates having to worry about "accidents" while he's inside.

Pods8 and anyone else considering adopting,

There are a number of things to consider. Your comment about both of you working is very important. My wife and I are a childless couple with professional jobs. It isn't uncommon to have long days like you describe. One solution we found was to hire some neighborhood kids that are home schooled to come over each day at lunch time and let the dog out, play with her, etc.

We also had a well established cat when the dog arrived. Don't worry, the cat will let the dog know who was here first. If our dog was walking down the hallway and the cat was in the way, the dog turned around and waited until the cat moved on.

Because our dog was adopted with issues from the start, we were not comfortable with boarding her. If we wanted to go on a vacation without the dog, this made it more difficult. Some of our sources for house/dog sitters included nieces and interns at work. Ideally we looked for college age people that wanted a break from Mom and Dad but were too busy to party.

As to what age of a dog to get, that is a tough one. Nobody wants to bring home a dog that is within a few years of its life span. That is why rescue centers have a hard time adopting out older dogs. But there is a lot to be said for bringing home a dog that has mellowed out and won't tear up your yard and furniture. Ultimately, it will be your call, but keep in mind an older dog has advantages also. Maybe fostering for a rescue place would work, giving you short term dog time.

Finally, there is lifestyle. My wife and I enjoy boondocking. But we are equally as comfortable in the kind of resort that recently drove Kcowyo nuts. We have done some overseas travel. During the time we had with our dog, though, that was limited. We will adopt again, but not for a couple of years so that we can travel again. Granted, adopting a dog isn't like having a child, but you are still taking on the responsibility of a life. You will need to make lifestyle choices.

I am glad to see you thinking about the pros and cons. The reason there are so many animals in shelters and rescue places is because people don't consider the things you are thinking about. Whether or not you get a dog, good on you for thinking it through.:thumb:

Nikki the Goldendoolde has moved on and found her forever home!

We were on the brink of keeping her....but as fate would have it we learned that a neighbor's daughter /her husband had been looking for a Doodle for about a year....
She called...and they met...and while we wanted to be selfish it was obvious that they could give her a one-on-one kind of situation where she would thrive (mid 50's, no kids, no pets, work from home/own their own biz).
So on sunday we made the transfer...and from all reports...Nikki is doing well and is settling into her new digs (near Aspen) in fine style.

In addition...we snagged a 90 pound male golden from the local shelter on saturday and hauled him to Denver on sunday....(all 4 dogs got along..it was amazing)

Then..just as the dust was starting to settle from nikki's stay....we get a call last night from a shelter worker that a "Goldendoodle" was surrendered to a Front Range shelter and could be picked up at anytime...

however...upon arrival to pick up said Goldendoodle...the rescue volunteer discovered that it was NOT a GD....but was actually a Wheaten terrier!
I had mentioned to the director of the rescue that I would love to have a Wheaten...so she called and it appears that we are going to "foster" this girl
(3 yrs old, spayed) and see where it goes... :rolleyes:

if she doesn't eat my cat she may have a home......time will tell!

either way...the carousel never stops...

mtn

Never heard of a Wheaton but grew up with an Airedale. My BC is doing well, getting more relaxed, decent on the leash, and responsive to commands. Races around our pen with 2 horses making sure they don't get away:rolleyes:

Wheatens are all over the map in coloration/features....kinda like the "Doodle" dogs....but smaller.

This is what I think a classic Wheaten looks like. Our girl (heading to Denver to get her this AM) is more golden in coloration and may have been shaved in recent months. That...or she isn't gonna look anything like this!

If you search for Wheaten on Google and hit "images' you'll see the variation in the brred...but overall they are fuzzy poofballs of fur with Golden-like tendencies. This girl is reported to be VERY good and well-beahved. We can only hope!

barko...glad to hear the pup is figuring out the drill. they are SO smart...it's scary!

Attachments

• SoftCoatedWheatenTerrierDSCF0022.jpg
    SoftCoatedWheatenTerrierDSCF0022.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 201
I have no clue why anyone would take a dog like this to the shelter (was taken to the Vet first w/ same request) and ask for them to be put down/LIE that she is aggressive.

yeah, right.:rolleyes: Where's my 2 x 4??? WHAP.

Anyway...she'll never face that fate again.

Attachments

• 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 194
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 182
Gosh, all these stories are getting me all teary eyed. Valerie and I rescued our Daisy dog from the pound 11 years ago when she was just a pup, maybe a young teenager. She looked so pathetic all curled up in the back corner shaking like a leaf. Then with a bit or persuasion from my wife, Daisy started coming to life and acting like a goof ball. We tried to adopt her that day, and the pound would not let us because we could not prove we owned our house. They wouldn't let us pay for her and come back either. They told us they were going to spay us and for us to come back tomorrow, because they wouldn't adopt her out that day. We were there an hour before the place opened the next day with our mortgage bill in our hand.
Daisy has been the best dog we ever owned. She is still shy when you come up to her too fast, and almost has a heart attack with the fire crackers, but our one in a million.

Attachments

• 031405_1.jpg
    031405_1.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 154
  • 100_0014.jpg
    100_0014.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 181
"They told us they were going to spay us"

Umm, man thats a serious dog pound. Not so sure I wouldnt find another one :D

Back
Top Bottom