The Landscape Photography Thread

I went on a bike ride in the mountains yesterday and had my camera along for the ride. It JUST fits in my hard panniers with all the other gear. The weather was turning pretty bad with a supercell starting to form right above me, so I found a spot on the edge of a cliff and set up my camera for a shot.

I was using some old T-Max 400 (tmy2) I bought off ebay and this was my first time using Pyrocat MC with it, so the negatives were pretty thick (14 minutes with 5 inversions every 4 minutes), so I need to drop the time down some.

Shot on my Zone VI 4x5 with a Fujinon W 125mm F5.6 lens and using a 2 stop graduated ND filter. Shot on some pretty fogged TMax 400 and developed in Pyrocat MC for 14 minutes.

Mountain Storm by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

One taken while roaming about Wyoming last spring.....

RedLodge-13-Edit-XL.jpg

We live in a world of transient beauty. Thanks to you guys capturing moments of it and allowing us to experience them.

Paul

John (I assume),

Those may not be expansive vistas for soaring raptors, but for organisms somewhat closer to the ground, they are grand landscape vistas, nevertheless, and appear full of subjects for a macro lens.

Thanks for posting.

Paul

It seems that any time I haven't been out with the camera for a while, I get into my archives and find something that hasn't been previously published. This is from the Cedar Mesa, Utah area. House on Fire ruins.

18999431606_b7a05d7c4f_c.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush, I really like that one! I've wanted to hike the Cedar Mesa/Comb Ridge area for a long time now. Maybe once I get my camper done, I'll head out there.

Do you have any more from the area?

Bad Habit, that's a very nice pano there. Love the way the thin low cloud bisects the mountains.

Here's one of my older ones. This was taken on a bike trip down to the Great Sand Dunes National Park in southern Colorado. Happened to have a great sunset with clouds the first night at camp, so I hiked out into the sand dunes to see what kind of shot I could get.

Taken with a Nikon D600 and Samyang 35mm F1.4 lens. I used a Cokin P filter holder and Hi-Tech 2 stop soft graduated ND filter along with a Cokin linear polarizer.

Makes me want to pack up the bike right now and head down there.

5-July-2013-2 by Andrew Marjama, on Flickr

Thanks! It looks much better in a larger size and not limited to the internet color pallet though. The sand grains are like little sparkling diamonds.

Linear. I use mostly manual focus glass, so linear polarizers work good for me. They say you should use circular polarizers for autofocus though.

Nice work, Andrew. That's some nice work using filters to achieve the results. I haven't tried Cokin or Lee yet.
Of course I recognize "house on fire", Stephen. Didn't Ansel do that shot. I like your color version very much.

I've been aware of a lupine bloom that happens at Tahoe, and managed to get up there this year. I think it's a better year than others, and the best areas would have been underwater, if not for the drought. I left the house at 330am yesterday to run up there for a dawn shoot, and to meet a business partner later in Tahoe City.

Here are several shots to consider:

The Fuji XT-1 makes a fine companion to the Canon 6D

Lighthawk, all are good, but to me, the first and third are excellent. The mountains in the background in the first make the photo, and the light in the third is great.

Makes me want to head over to Taylor park, where the lupine are thick (though not as thick as in these photos!)

Thanks CJ. Your input is most appreciated. Get out there and get some lupine shots while the getting is good!
Thank you, Stephen, but I must take credit for being set up with tripod at 5:15AM, a rare occurrence indeed! That's the morning sun, my friend.

Back
Top Bottom