The Landscape Photography Thread

Lighthawk: I got a little confused. There is a Table Mountain in Tuolumne County that was created the same way with very similar vegetation. Your pictures are beautiful and a reminder to me that I better get to my Table Mountain soon before the vernal pools dry up. Beautiful pictures. Travel safe.

Myself also.There are similar lava flows coming off Sonora Pass area west down past Sonora.
Long 40+ mile flows.
Driven past many times but never got into them.The one in the Sonora area is used a lot by climbers.
Nice pictures.
Thanks.
Frank

Lighthawk said:
Here in the Sierra foothills there's a special place called Table Mountain. Now a volcanic plateau, it was formed when a lava flow came down an ancient river channel and solidified. As the surrounding valley sediments eroded, the plateau was left almost a thousand feet higher. Table Mountain is famous for vernal waterfalls (nearly a dozen) and springtime floral displays.
Andy, is this the Table Mountain that is about 50 miles south of Chico (Oroville?). If so, I thought I was going to have a coronary here, doing a climb on the tandem for the Wildflower Century. Tough climb after trying to keep up with the fast movers. It is a beautiful area!!!

Clarification for everyone: This Table Mountain (original,eh?) is located just north of Oroville. Access is from Cherokee Rd., which WS has learned, is a steep curvy climb. For those of us who use internal combustion engines, it's a piece of cake! :p

https://goo.gl/maps/GVoVHJW9kbD2

I suspect other similar formations may also be experiencing a good spring floral display, so get out there and enjoy!

Dogwoods at the Carter Shields Cabin in Cades Cove, GSMNP

_D8E7052-Edit.jpg

A couple of Saturdays ago in the Carrizo Plain (actually the same rainy weekend as the FWC meet-up that we were oblivious to.)

img_141296_0_7dacd5170224a454731de26ce27763f7.jpg

daverave said:
A couple of Saturdays ago in the Carrizo Plain (actually the same rainy weekend as the FWC meet-up that we were oblivious to.)

I hope you were not the newer Silver Spur camper that drove by the group when we stopped at Traver Ranch. We waved and the camper just kept going. If I was passing 10 FWC's parked I would have stopped to see what was going on. We just might do it again next year. Hope you can make it.

billharr said:
I hope you were not the newer Silver Spur camper that drove by the group when we stopped at Traver Ranch.
Guilty as charged, Bill! We were in hurry-up mode to get back to Sacramento after 12 days on the road with our sick cat. Could have been a case of I-5 anxiety fever, too. (Hate that road.) It won't happen again, promise. :D

Ah, what the heck, I might as well show what I do for work and why I own my camper.

1st up image from a current book project in progress, the Black Canyon of the Gunnison. Shot with a Hasselblad 501 CM, 60mm 3.5 CF @ F8, Rollei IR400 black and white film, darkroom printed on Ilford Warmtone Fiber paper...

Attachments

• Black_Canyon_1.jpg
    Black_Canyon_1.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 35
Second up, a remote spot in the Rockies that I visit every few years. Shot with a Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm F4 FLE @ F11, one minute exposure made on Agfa APX25 black and white film, darkroom printed on Ilford Warmtone Fiber paper...

Attachments

• Rockies.jpg
    Rockies.jpg
    473.1 KB · Views: 35
3rd up, Crater Lake Reflection. Shot with a Chamonix 45N-2 4x5 field camera, Nikkor SW 90mm F8 lens @ F22, 1/2 second on Kodak Tmax 100 film, darkroom printed on Ilford Warmtone Fiber paper....

Attachments

• Crater_Lake.jpg
    Crater_Lake.jpg
    425.1 KB · Views: 32
One last shot, done two Saturdays ago for a fine art commission, inside of a marble quarry. Shot with a Chamonix 45N-2 4x5 field camera, Nikkor SW 75mm 4.5 lens @ F22, 4 seconds on Kodak Tmax 100 film, darkroom printed on Ilford Warmtone Fiber paper. My assistant did several pops of a portable 1,200 watt strobe on the closer walls to balance the light....

Attachments

• Marble.jpg
    Marble.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 34
Back
Top Bottom