The Landscape Photography Thread

Amazing. Even on a small screen, the sharp details resolve with crisp blacks and bright whites. Fine art, indeed. I'm intrigued that f22 doesn't cause some refraction issues.

Large format lenses are inherently slow, maximum apertures around 5.6 to F11 are common with minimums around F45-96. So F16-22 is often right in the ballpark in regards to maximum sharpness. And I do believe the term you are looking for is diffraction...;-)

Lighthawk said:
Amazing. Even on a small screen, the sharp details resolve with crisp blacks and bright whites. Fine art, indeed. I'm intrigued that f22 doesn't cause some refraction issues.

Kodachrome said:
Large format lenses are inherently slow, maximum apertures around 5.6 to F11 are common with minimums around F45-96. So F16-22 is often right in the ballpark in regards to maximum sharpness. And I do believe the term you are looking for is diffraction...;-)
I knew I was off the right term, but it had been a long weekend working a trade show and my brain wasn't firing all cylinders.
Thanks for the explanation. I had seen those very high f stops before, but never gave it much thought.

Wow!! Nice work on all, Mr Kodachrome. Love the long exposure and the Black Canyon is superb.

Thanks folks! I can tell you this, it is *such* a pleasure to live and work out of these campers where ever I want for as long as it takes to get the shot. You have to live these places to get this stuff and these setups allow that like no other.

A monochrome rework of a 2012 photo. Valley of Fire, Nevada. A bit dark and moody, but I think I like it.

26653992751_a8b5bce86c_c.jpg

Perhaps, it is the perception of reduction in visual detail (i.e, color), but somehow there is a significant increase in emotion with monochrome. When I was shooting film landscapes, I almost always used a yellow, orange or red filter because I liked what they did to clouds.

May need to add a monochrome landscape thread in photos. There are good candidates in this thread. Great work, guys.

Paul

Black and white film is such an amazing experience for me now in the digital age. It's taken me years but I am really thankful I have slowly built up all the materials, tools and infrastructure to do it to the degree I can.

Part of a series on Lake Tahoe and the Sierras. Shot with a Hasselblad 501CM, 50mm FLE wide angle lens on Agfa APX25 film using a long exposure, Ilford Warmtone Fiber darkroom based print.

Tahoe4.jpg

ImageUploadedByWander The West1462369108.881331.jpg

Took my dad's out to Boulder Nevada, got a shot at night.

Nice photography all love the thread!

Back
Top Bottom