The Mammoth Area Sierra Nevada - August 2022

Monte Sharon and I have made several family trips to that same area.
In 1978 we spent a couple days at the Postpile,camped at Minarets Campground.
Our daughter at age 18 months had a ball climbing the pieces of postpile.

The falls were roaring and sounded like you were standing right next to them.
Actually we were next to them across the river.

Years later Sharon and I camped there again. This time we did a day hike to Minarets lake.
All the way to the shore across from the towering Minarets .It was quit a trip.

Another special place for us that you have brought back out memories.
Thanks.

Frank

Great, another item to add to my “must do” list ;-)

Thanks for the link to Glacial Chatter. A new one for me. I’ll look for that up here in the frozen north, but I wonder if can’t form on sedimentary rocks, only granite?

I met my husband in Fish Valley - to the south of Devils Postpile. I was hiking the John Muir Trail and had taken a shower at Red's Meadow just the day before. We went fishing together and were married on Minaret Summit 6 years later. I tossed some of his ashes in the wind off the top of Mammoth Mountain one lovely winter day several years ago.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Monte Sharon and I have made several family trips to that same area.
In 1978 we spent a couple days at the Postpile,camped at Minarets Campground.
Our daughter at age 18 months had a ball climbing the pieces of postpile.

The falls were roaring and sounded like you were standing right next to them.
Actually we were next to them across the river.

Years later Sharon and I camped there again. This time we did a day hike to Minarets lake.
All the way to the shore across from the towering Minarets .It was quit a trip.

Another special place for us that you have brought back out memories.
Thanks.

Frank
Frank, we are so glad to have stirred up so many fun memories for you! Thanks for the nice comment.

Vic Harder said:
Great, another item to add to my “must do” list ;-)

Thanks for the link to Glacial Chatter. A new one for me. I’ll look for that up here in the frozen north, but I wonder if can’t form on sedimentary rocks, only granite?
Vic, thanks for the nice comment, we appreciate it! I expect that chatter marks could occur on many rock types but I'm only an amateur.

teledork said:
I met my husband in Fish Valley - to the south of Devils Postpile. I was hiking the John Muir Trail and had taken a shower at Red's Meadow just the day before. We went fishing together and were married on Minaret Summit 6 years later. I tossed some of his ashes in the wind off the top of Mammoth Mountain one lovely winter day several years ago.
What an absolutely great place to fall in love.

nice report, and great pics ! the polished columnar granite was very cool.
love the mules ! we took a pack trip into the alpine wilderness in central washington a couple years ago and the packers had some great mules. huge !!

Those are great photos of the stone on the ground, some almost look like tile work. If anyone hasn't read Ansel Adam's autobiography, it is a real fun book.

goinoregon said:
nice report, and great pics ! the polished columnar granite was very cool.
love the mules ! we took a pack trip into the alpine wilderness in central washington a couple years ago and the packers had some great mules. huge !!
Thanks for the nice comment! We appreciate it. :)

dr.tucson said:
Those are great photos of the stone on the ground, some almost look like tile work. If anyone hasn't read Ansel Adam's autobiography, it is a real fun book.
The geology is fascinating, indeed! Thanks for the suggestion on the autobiography and the nice comment. :)

I need to take a few days off, and sit down with a map and the blog. You’ve been to so many wonderful places, I get overwhelmed every time I strategize a new trip. Thanks for sharing!!!

eyemgh said:
I need to take a few days off, and sit down with a map and the blog. You’ve been to so many wonderful places, I get overwhelmed every time I strategize a new trip. Thanks for sharing!!!
You are most welcome. I'd recommend keeping the maps out. New blog posts are coming. :)

Back
Top Bottom