The Wildlife Photography Thread

Here's a few from this morning. All shot with a D-7100 and Sigma 150 ~ 500 zoom at 500 mm.

img_107167_0_b2c72e77e8cac296af4dbcf0dbde7566.jpg

img_107167_2_3c9ff0ac8fa62918bff7eb01ac7681bb.jpg

img_107167_4_ef9e2ad17430029bfcfdf4680136ef32.jpg

Thanks guys. I wish one could get closer to them, but they're very skittish. Start moving in and they let out their horrible squak and take off. That's why everything is shot at 500mm, and that's about as short as useable on the cranes.
Frank, I don't think theirs anything beautiful about a Sandhill, ugly, but interesting :D

Here's a heavily cropped sandhill shot from a few years back with a rented 600mm and a 1.7 TC:

_D3S0627-Edit.jpg

At the Hiwassee NWR the viewing area is restricted and sometimes the birds just don't get that close.

Stalking Light said:
Here's a heavily cropped sandhill shot from a few years back with a rented 600mm and a 1.7 TC:

attachicon.gif
_D3S0627-Edit.jpg

At the Hiwassee NWR the viewing area is restricted and sometimes the birds just don't get that close.
Charlie, Nice image. All of my images were heavily cropped as they were pretty far away. Consumnes has a couple walkways and that's all. If the birds are on the opposite side of the ponds you're out of luck..

On the topic of Sandhills.
I shot these at Yellowstone a few springs back.
The Bison and Sandhill stand off was fun to watch.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN2716.jpg
    DSCN2716.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN2776.jpg
    DSCN2776.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN3259.jpg
    DSCN3259.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN3260.jpg
    DSCN3260.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 26
I received a new-to-me camera yesterday and ran down to the rice fields to check on the birds.

At first I could only find egrets. They are one of my favorite birds.

Then a killdeer

Finally just before sunset I spotted a "fly in" with thousands of geese in the air. I drove over a mile or two and there were a couple dozen tundra swan with thousands of white-fronted geese. I also spotted a few snow geese. There are more on the way!

Full moon on Thursday!

Thanks guys! I'm already noticing much better iso performance and tracking ability. The 1D body let's me use AF even with a teleconverter (TC), which I couldn't do with previous camera bodies.

I'm looking forward to the birding season in the Central Valley. From now until late January the rice fields fill up with millions of birds. I can get to the Marysville sloughs in just over half an hour from work, so that's my go to location. I would like to get out to some of the other NWR's this winter. I would especially like to photograph more sandhill cranes, but they seem to congregate down by Stockton, so it's a weekend commitment.

Lighthawk said:
Thanks guys! I'm already noticing much better iso performance and tracking ability. The 1D body let's me use AF even with a teleconverter (TC), which I couldn't do with previous camera bodies.

I'm looking forward to the birding season in the Central Valley. From now until late January the rice fields fill up with millions of birds. I can get to the Marysville sloughs in just over half an hour from work, so that's my go to location. I would like to get out to some of the other NWR's this winter. I would especially like to photograph more sandhill cranes, but they seem to congregate down by Stockton, so it's a weekend commitment.
Andy are there any NWRs you can camp at in that area?
Would like to get out to see some also. I am able to go during the week as well as week end.
Frank

Back
Top Bottom