The Wildlife Photography Thread

Andy, for Sandhills, along with the Consumnes preserve, take a look at the Woodbridge Ecological Reserve which is several miles south of Consumnes. Catch Woodbridge in the evening when they fly back to roost as the viewing area is on the north side and you're not looking directly into the sun as with Consumnes.

Frank, there isn't any camping right at the preserves, as all the surrounding land is private property, but plenty of camping off HY 12, the closest being a big KOA at Tower Park. About 8 miles further down HY 12 is the "Delta Loop" which has several campgrounds.

I'm retired so can go anytime, either of you come this way, let me know and I'll show you around the Delta.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Andy are there any NWRs you can camp at in that area?
Would like to get out to see some also. I am able to go during the week as well as week end.
Frank
Frank, there are two possible camps I can think of near the Marysville rice fields. Both are along the Yuba River, which is worth checking out for fly fishing if you stay there. The first is Sycamore Ranch, a private CG. I've never stayed there, but used to pay them a fee for take out of a fishing raft. Just west of there is Hammond Grove Park, which offers good day use (only), but has a steep hill you must walk to access the river.

This may not be as productive a destination as the NWR's. It's just close to my home!

K6ON said:
I'm retired so can go anytime, either of you come this way, let me know and I'll show you around the Delta.
Maybe we can get pvstoy to come over the hill and join us. Patrick has expressed interested in doing some birding too.

Next weekend is out. It's our anniversary and SR has requested a trip to Saline V. Who am I to argue? ;)

If we could organize a trip to the Delta, then I have the weekend before Thanksgiving, or the first two weekends in December as possible dates. I'm tied to my business, so it's weekends for me!

Squabbling pelicans on the Yellowstone:

1024x686x_L2A4234.jpg.pagespeed.ic.gwNE8IaZ3V.jpg

K6ON said:
Frank, there isn't any camping right at the preserves, as all the surrounding land is private property, but plenty of camping off HY 12, the closest being a big KOA at Tower Park. About 8 miles further down HY 12 is the "Delta Loop" which has several campgrounds.

I saw Westgate Landing county park.Where are the birding areas near that campground?
Frank

Lighthawk said:
Maybe we can get pvstoy to come over the hill and join us. Patrick has expressed interested in doing some birding too.

Next weekend is out. It's our anniversary and SR has requested a trip to Saline V. Who am I to argue? ;)

If we could organize a trip to the Delta, then I have the weekend before Thanksgiving, or the first two weekends in December as possible dates. I'm tied to my business, so it's weekends for me!
Yes that would be our intentions and what we would like to do... But even though we are retired it is amazing what pops up or commitments that gobble up the time. November is out but we can work on December.

Congratulations on your new to you pro body, it will serve you well.

BTW good work everybody on your images posted, I always enjoy viewing images. I'm pretty far behind looking at images captured, just came back from Texas and accumulated more for storage.........

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
I saw Westgate Landing county park.Where are the birding areas near that campground?
Frank
I forgot about Westgate as I've only spent nights at their docks, not the campground. It's just on the north side of HY12, across from the KOA at Tower Park.

Lots of birding in the area. White Slough Wildlife Area on either side of HY 12, near I-5. Woodbridge Ecological Preserve, Stone Lake Wildlife area, Consumnes Wildlife area, Desmond Road by Consumnes, Yolo Wildlife Area just west of Sacramento, thousands of acres of farm land throughout the Delta. I'm sure there's more that will come to me later.

Love the Pelicans and the Bison. In Africa that bird would be an Ox Pecker sitting on a Water Buffalo :)

Patrick, we still haven't seen any of your pictures from Antarctica which was several years back...Time to catch up..

K6ON said:
I forgot about Westgate as I've only spent nights at their docks, not the campground. It's just on the north side of HY12, across from the KOA at Tower Park.

Lots of birding in the area. White Slough Wildlife Area on either side of HY 12, near I-5. Woodbridge Ecological Preserve, Stone Lake Wildlife area, Consumnes Wildlife area, Desmond Road by Consumnes, Yolo Wildlife Area just west of Sacramento, thousands of acres of farm land throughout the Delta. I'm sure there's more that will come to me later.
Thanks for the info. I would like to get to visit this area soon hopefully.
Frank

Wow. This thread just hits it out of the park!

A couple of shots of a herd of mustangs we ran into near Mono Lake.
It was a chance to try out my Mark IV with 400+1.4TC

I drove off the highway on a signed FS road, which turned into a deeply rutted, sandy double-track.
We pulled in google map satellite to see that we would eventually meet a better road. There were a few sections I did not want to back down.

An albino mare

Her offspring?

There were fifteen in total.

Back
Top Bottom