The Wildlife Photography Thread

Barkerville%20%284%20of%204%29-L.jpg

HainesNexWorked-6-L.jpg

ChilkootRiver-1-2-L.jpg

This is my old friend Corvus corax (aka The Trickster). I've sent him on a mission to scout out all the places that Mr. Ski3pin and The Lady are visiting. I am seriously jealous of the wonderful places they've been, and the sights they are seeing... :ninja: :p

15319506994_c17244b943_c.jpg

It was wet here today, so I got into the archives and processed a few images that I had not worked previously. I am really feeling the need for a desert trip. With a bit of luck, I can get my foot healed up enough to do some real hiking.

This image was taken near Hole-in-the-Wall. We came upon a fairly large group of ewes, with just the two lambs. They were relatively unafraid, but the ewe and lambs did scamper a short ways up the canyon wall when we went by. Interesting that the upper lamb is so much darker than the one that is nursing. I wonder if it is just the direction of light on the wool.

15948016321_08b1138c4c_c.jpg

Nice! That does look like Hole in the Wall.

Best wishes for rapid progress with the foot. Maybe some sand between the toes will help?

Aw Gee, That's a tender moment...

15334968903_f7daac1c6f_c.jpg

From a nursing lamb to an old ram at the end of his time. This was taken at Valley of Fire, shortly before the old fellow died.

15768382908_dcc0d66a43_c.jpg

Incredible shots, Stephen. That's some sweet light and cooperative subjects, captured perfectly!
What seasons are the ewes hanging around Hole in the Wall? We may be in the vicinity over Christmas break.

Suni inspired me.
We saw no less than three different (apparently) male tarantulas crusing across the road, via North Pass, Saline Valley.
The low angle light of November caused big shadows off the big guys, causing me to skid the Tundra to a halt and catch a few photos. Docile lil' guys: I picked one up and put him on the side of the road before the dude making a dust cloud behind me, could run him over.

I'm using to watching out for deer while driving, and I worry about bears in the road. I've never kept a sharp eye for tarantulas migrating across the road before.

Lighthawk said:
Incredible shots, Stephen. That's some sweet light and cooperative subjects, captured perfectly!
What seasons are the ewes hanging around Hole in the Wall? We may be in the vicinity over Christmas break.
Andy, these were taken on March 10 and 11. Try the slopes around Aguereberry for the bachelor herds of big rams. Take at least 300mm glass, more is better.

Cool shots of the tarantulas!

I finally got out with a camera today. I picked up a new lens last month, and finally got to exercise it. All things considered, I was pleased. Nikkor 300/2.8. This shot is at 100% crop. The bird is at least 80 feet out.

15793470107_7d8a89b4ac_c.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
I finally got out with a camera today. I picked up a new lens last month, and finally got to exercise it. All things considered, I was pleased. Nikkor 300/2.8. This shot is at 100% crop. The bird is at least 80 feet out.

15793470107_7d8a89b4ac_c.jpg
Nice one, Stephen!
That sure is a sweet lens. Does it take extenders well? I know Canon does 1.4 and 2x

Andy, it takes all three of the TCs, with good results. I typically don't use one (just have the 1.4), as I think it degrades the image quality unless conditions and technique are near perfect.

Wow.
I didn't see the other two shots until just now. That is a killer lens, Stephen! Congrats. You will make that lens sing.
I see just a touch of wingtip blur, so your shutter speed was soaking in as much light as possible.
The eye contact on #3 is amazing, but the power of the wingspan makes #2 work.
Were these shot wide open?

Andy, I almost always shoot wide open to get the maximum light. The blur you see is probably DOF rather than too slow a shutter. I shoot aperture priority 95% of the time, using ISO to keep the shutter speed above 1/1000. It's so gray around here that I can set ISO once, and usually not have to change it.

Thank, Stephen. With my slower 5.6 lens I end up shooting shutter priority (opposite of everything else I do). I set time value for 1/1000 min. and sometimes in better light push for 1/1600. I let ISO float on auto to support the shutter speed. Noise reduction has become less important with improved camera bodies.

Funny, I used to think it was just exposure time and the lens aperture to consider. I didn't give film speed too much thought once it was loaded in the camera (tri-x anyone?). Now ISO is one of the big three variables I play with constantly to optimize my shot.

I can see how the edge of the rear wing of the harrier could be leaving the focal plane.

Lighthawk said:
Thank, Stephen. With my slower 5.6 lens I end up shooting shutter priority (opposite of everything else I do). I set time value for 1/1000 min. and sometimes in better light push for 1/1600. I let ISO float on auto to support the shutter speed. Noise reduction has become less important with improved camera bodies.

Funny, I used to think it was just exposure time and the lens aperture to consider. I didn't give film speed too much thought once it was loaded in the camera (tri-x anyone?). Now ISO is one of the big three variables I play with constantly to optimize my shot.

I can see how the edge of the rear wing of the harrier could be leaving the focal plane.
Are you sure we don't need a camera geek thread? :LOL: We're starting to go down that rabbit hole.

Back
Top Bottom