The Wildlife Photography Thread

Another shot (uncropped) of Sweet Sally, the Ridgefield coyote. What a beautiful girl.

30584499371_d1186f44a7_c.jpg

Steve both you and Charlie helped with your last posts. I uploaded my wife's pictures to Picasa Web, now Google+. Clicked to enlarge the photo, clicked on properties, copied URL and bingo it worked. Now for figuring FlickR. I think I have to load the pictures up to their web/cloud. jd

Sent from my SM-G900V using Wander The West mobile app

pvstoy said:
+1

Such a great statement! Retired and also loving it. If your gal also like to photograph then it does get expensive, 7 camera bodies and, and, and.............
Add my ham radio gear on top of all that and, and, and ......

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Another shot (uncropped) of Sweet Sally, the Ridgefield coyote. What a beautiful girl.

30584499371_d1186f44a7_c.jpg
Hey Sage, Really like this image. Like the selective focus, the frost on the vegetation and the soft blue background. It also has a pleasing crop. Thanks for sharing. Patrick

pvstoy said:
Hey Sage, Really like this image. Like the selective focus, the frost on the vegetation and the soft blue background. It also has a pleasing crop. Thanks for sharing. Patrick
Patrick, thanks for the kind words! Believe it or not, this is not cropped. She was that close.

That would explaine the slight front focus and good depth of field. Would you consider cropping down a little to elimiate the bright sun(?) in the upper left corner? Wishing it was one of mine images. Patrick

Patrick, I'm pretty sure that's a tundra swan in flight. It was a morning shot, and the lake behind the coyote runs towards the NW. But, it wouldn't bother me at all to crop it, or possibly do a contextual fill over that spot. Thanks again for the kind words. I hope I'll get another chance to be this close to them, but it may not be. Refuge mgmt killed at least 13 coyotes in order to protect a reintroduction of Columbian white tailed deer.

A pair of my all-time favorite bird pictures from our fall California trip:

gallery_5179_893_63706.jpg

This second picture is my best bird picture ever thanks to great light (point-and-shoot grade):

gallery_5179_893_1442105.jpg

The hummingbird is most likely a Costa's female (there are three female hummingbirds which are indistinguishable) on Ocotillo in Joshua Tree NP on the Lost Oasis Trail. October Ocotillo flowers are uncommon in October and so seeing the flower was as much a treat as the hummingbird.

Nice JD! Female hummers are so hard to identify! At the 29 Stumps visitor center, there are some chuparosa plants that draw them in. Look for Costa's in the area around the cottonwood oasis.

Originally, this was a mediocre picture of Malards on a mediocre pond along a mediocre trail, Scab Creek on the west side of the Wind River Range, WY. While processing the trip pictures, I had to stop and take a few moments to understand the unique nature of this picture which was captured only by accident.

gallery_5179_893_536504.jpg

Interesting reflection, good timing. With a even more crop you can confuse the brain.

Attachments

• IMG_1367.JPG
    IMG_1367.JPG
    122.3 KB · Views: 17
This afternoon, when I got home from voting -- wild kingdom in my yard.
These are just fone fotos...but since four-point bucks aren't common in my driveway right in front of my house every day I figured I'd share.
(I was in my car and my DSLR was in the house so it was fone or nothing ;) )

201601105_Buck-1.JPG

I pulled down my driveway and there he was, bed down, with the female nearby. I think they were discussing the possibility of a date... He stood up but still had her on his mind so chose to ignore this annoying human even when I got out of the car.

201601105_Buck-2.JPG

At this point he was kind of twitching...and when I got nearer I could smell something earthy, so maybe he was dispensing cologne for the female's benefit.

201601105_Buck-3.JPG

As he slowly pursued his potential girlfriend he looked back at me as if to ask, "What -- are you going to watch?! Geez -- privacy please."

I see does around my house, in my yard, all the time (almost literally. I'm looking at six of them bed down out my back slider right now), but bucks are rare except during the season of romance.

This big fella isn't quite as remarkable the late Mr. Big Rack, but he's respectable for sure.

Back
Top Bottom