The Wildlife Photography Thread

Timothy McGowen said:
Thanks guys. After March I will be looking for fellow photographers to meet up with. Retirement can't get here soon enough. 37 1/2 years will be enough.
I'll wish you a early, welcome to the retirement club.
I have been retired since May 01 and it's great.
Frank

Timothy McGowen said:
Thanks guys. After March I will be looking for fellow photographers to meet up with. Retirement can't get here soon enough. 37 1/2 years will be enough.
Tim, congrats on the upcoming retirement. Other than marrying my bride, retiring was the best thing I've done for myself. Be careful with the photography, it's addictive and gets expensive...

A tender moment...

29917597824_030bb20c93_c.jpg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Tim, congrats on the upcoming retirement. Other than marrying my bride, retiring was the best thing I've done for myself. Be careful with the photography, it's addictive and gets expensive...
+1

Such a great statement! Retired and also loving it. If your gal also like to photograph then it does get expensive, 7 camera bodies and, and, and.............

That's an excellent portrait of a fox, or is it a coyote? The nose look like a fox, but the ears seem like a 'yote.
You've nailed the catchlights and it's all crisp, even the frost on the grass. ;)

Andy, it's a female coyote. She was hunting voles on the side of a canal opposite from me. It was my privilege to spend close to an hour as she caught voles, napped and rolled on a dead great horned owl. Probably no more than 40-50 feet away most of the time.

Thanks for the kind words!

That is an excellent photo of the coyote, and I have enjoyed the other photos you have been sharing. Very nice! Would you share data on lens, shutter, and aperture? Thanks Mr. Sage!

ski3pin said:
That is an excellent photo of the coyote, and I have enjoyed the other photos you have been sharing. Very nice! Would you share data on lens, shutter, and aperture? Thanks Mr. Sage!
Thanks for the kind words. The coyote image was taken with a Nikon D700, Nikkor 500/4 lens at f5.6 and 1/125, using ISO 200. Taken in 2012. I wish I never would have sold that camera. One of the best low light performers.

Typically, I will be at a much higher ISO in order to keep my shutter speed up, but this girl was taking it easy, so I took advantage of it and slowed things down. In general, I am usually between f4 (wide open) and f8, and trying to keep the shutter above 1/1000. Nikon will allow you to vary ISO automatically to keep the shutter speed up, but I prefer to do it manually. I am almost always shooting aperture priority, occasionally full manual.

My EXIF data is published on Flickr, so you can see any shot you're interested in. https://www.flickr.com/photos/stephen_parsons/

Back
Top Bottom