The Wildlife Photography Thread

Sandhill Cranes have arrived in Lodi. I went to Woodbridge Ecological Reserve yesterday with my new Sony 200-600 and got their just before sunrise. There are hundreds of cranes there now, if you can visit. The Lodi Crane Festival is also going on this weekend and next. I got there before their official tours began.

Lighthawk said:
Sandhill Cranes have arrived in Lodi. I went to Woodbridge Ecological Reserve yesterday with my new Sony 200-600 and got their just before sunrise. There are hundreds of cranes there now, if you can visit. The Lodi Crane Festival is also going on this weekend and next. I got there before their official tours began.

Great images!! You've inspired me to get down to Lodi this week. What settings do you use to attach so many pics?? I always have problems trying to attach more than 3 at a time.

Great shots Andy! I guess it's time for me to start thinking about a trip to Bosque del Apache this year but seems like the rest of the year is already pretty full...

Up roaming around on Vancouver Island in BC for a little over a week. Thick underbrush but I was lucky enough to catch this sow and her cubs hauled up out of the river feeding on a salmon.

DSC_6413-2-Edit-30-XL.jpg

Ronin said:
Great images!! You've inspired me to get down to Lodi this week. What settings do you use to attach so many pics?? I always have problems trying to attach more than 3 at a time.
Hi Ronin

I'm copying the BB Code from where I store my images online at Smugmug
Hope that helps!

Have fun visiting the SHC in Lodi! Note there's the Lodi Crane Festival next weekend and they are doing 830am tours.

On a side note, I went back home via Yuba City and there's tundra swans and geese showing up in the rice fields down by Woodruff Lane. I'm planning to catch the night before full moon (98.5%) rising there next Monday at 453pm with sunset at 456pm.

I took these shots in 2011

Lighthawk said:
Hi Ronin

I'm copying the BB Code from where I store my images online at Smugmug
Hope that helps!

Have fun visiting the SHC in Lodi! Note there's the Lodi Crane Festival next weekend and they are doing 830am tours.

On a side note, I went back home via Yuba City and there's tundra swans and geese showing up in the rice fields down by Woodruff Lane. I'm planning to catch the night before full moon (98.5%) rising there next Monday at 453pm with sunset at 456pm.

I took these shots in 2011

I was on Woodruff Ln 2 weeks ago on my way to Trinity Alps and it was obviously too early for the Cranes. Think I'll check out Sutter NWR. Might be less crowded than Woodbridge. Looks like you're having fun with the new lens. Keep posting pics!!

Going back through the many shots taken up in BC this fall and it always surprises me as to which photos capture my attention. More and more it's not the up close, perfect focus or the animal doing something out of the norm but simply a majestic animal in his natural environment doing what his kind have been doing for thousands of years. As I watched this Grizzly patrol for Salmon along the Atnarko River I wondered how many times this same stretch of river had bore witness to this exact scene. With any luck his kind, and the wild places in which he rules, will be here long into the future.

BW%20Grizz%20%281%20of%201%29-XL.jpg

By no standards is this much of a photograph but it was my most memorable bear encounter this past fall while in the Yellowstone area. A large boar grizzly was on this bull elk carcass and seeing as this can be an extremely dangerous situation getting close for a quality photo was not a priority. This shot was taken at quite a distance and cropped as well. However, sitting and watching him, via a spotting scope, feed, sleep on top of, watch me and burying the carcass was better than any photograph I may have left with. I went back for the next two days, hoping he would leave the carcass and I might get a better shot but it never happened. Watching mother nature in its raw form for hours was a highlight of the recent roam about.

DSC_5541-XL.jpg

Back
Top Bottom