The Wildlife Photography Thread

That Handsome Windblown Look...

14445843109_de4b34efcb_c.jpg

Well I got outbid on a Nikon. Couldn't remember my pw at work and thank god I didn't as it shot up sixty bucks in the last couple seconds. Question is, which brand at the low end has the best value used?

Craig, any of the good brands have great consumer cameras. Regardless of manufacturer, after a few years you're not going to see great resale value. If you have a good collection of lenses, stay with that brand. If I were starting over, it would be a coin toss between Canon and Nikon.

Craig, back in 2004 I picked up a new Sony 7.2mp point & shoot to ride in my glove box in the truck. I was doing a lot of diving at the time and didn't want to risk a DSLR under water, so picked up an under water housing for the Sony. About 3 years ago, I dropped the camera and broke it. Not wanting to throw a $300.00 UW housing away, I looked on eBay and saw several used Sony's for auction. I picked up a replacement with charger, & 2 memory sticks for $17.00 including postage. As Mr. Sagebrush states, consumer point & shoot cameras have very little value used. Unless you're looking for a DSLR, keep your eye open for Nikon, Canon, or Sony point & shoot's on eBay. You'll find tons of them on there cheap.

The Humpback whales have been putting on a great show here in my "back yard".
They even made the national news last night. Nice to see some good news on TV.
There were at least 24 that we counted.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN6757.jpg
    DSCN6757.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN6758.jpg
    DSCN6758.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN6763.jpg
    DSCN6763.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN6764.jpg
    DSCN6764.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN6765.jpg
    DSCN6765.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN6769.jpg
    DSCN6769.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN6771.jpg
    DSCN6771.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN6779.jpg
    DSCN6779.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN6780.jpg
    DSCN6780.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 14
Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
The Blue whales have been putting on a great show here in my "back yard".
They even made the national news last night. Nice to see some good news on TV.
There were at least 24 that we counted.
Frank
Cool...amazing huge creatures! :)

I remember as a little kid I had a book called "Golden Book of Mammals" -- kind of a field guide for kids. In the Intro section there was an illustration comparing relative sizes of mammals -- including the blue whale. It also included a brontosaurus in the comparison to make the point that the blue whale is the largest creature that has ever lived -- even bigger than any dinosaur. :eek: I remember being impressed by that fact and glad that the age of the great mythic/monster-sized beasts is not over.
And I'm glad that it's still not yet over, no matter how hard Japan and Norway try to make it so.

MarkBC said:
Cool...amazing huge creatures! :)

I remember as a little kid I had a book called "Golden Book of Mammals" -- kind of a field guide for kids. In the Intro section there was an illustration comparing relative sizes of mammals -- including the blue whale. It also included a brontosaurus in the comparison to make the point that the blue whale is the largest creature that has ever lived -- even bigger than any dinosaur. :eek: I remember being impressed by that fact and glad that the age of the great mythic/monster-sized beasts is not over.
And I'm glad that it's still not yet over, no matter how hard Japan and Norway try to make it so.
Ha! I remember that same book and illustration!

I agree and I'm glad the creatures are still around.

The whales are putting on such a great show ,we went over again this morning.
This is the best show we have seen here in Monterey Bay.
Anyone who happens to come to this area the watching place is on Jetty Rd.,the north end of Moss Landing harbor. Just follow Jetty rd. to it's end and park in the lot. The whales have been feeding just off the north jetty about 1/4 mile off shore.
This is something not to miss if you are in the area.
Not sure I would want to be in the kayaks though.
Frank

Attachments

• DSCN6787.jpg
    DSCN6787.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN6788.jpg
    DSCN6788.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN6789.jpg
    DSCN6789.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN6790.jpg
    DSCN6790.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN6793.jpg
    DSCN6793.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 14
  • DSCN6794.jpg
    DSCN6794.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN6795.jpg
    DSCN6795.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 17
  • DSCN6798.jpg
    DSCN6798.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 18
  • DSCN6800.jpg
    DSCN6800.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 14
Question..how does one post full size pictures rather than having them post as click-able thumbnails??

K6ON said:
Question..how does one post full size pictures rather than having them post as click-able thumbnails??
Bob, you need to first upload the image to somewhere on the Web, either to a WTW Member Gallery or to some other image-hosting place on the Web (like smugmug, photobucket, etc or a personal website).

Then click the Image tool on the posting toolbar, as below:
gallery_2431_363_9056.jpg

and paste a link to that previously-uploaded image. Some image-hosting websites provide the entire link code (maybe called "BB code") for your image that you paste directly into the post dialog without needing to use the Image tool on the toolbar.
The image will appear "inline" and as "full size" as the forum software allows inline.

K6ON said:
Still a 500k limit per post using this method ??
No, the byte limit is much higher (maybe no limit) by this method. There is still a limit on how many images you can insert in a single post, but it's high -- something over a dozen, maybe 15.

K6ON said:
OK Mark, let's see how this works.
In 2007 the lady and I spent two weeks on a photo safari visiting all the national parks in Tanzania. When we started, we were the only "non birders" in the group. When we finished the safari, and with lots of help from the others, we had logged over 400 birds and mammals.

This is a quick test to see if I can follow marks instructions :D
http://s1375.photobucket.com/user/k6on/library/?sort=3&page=1
Hmmm....don't think that's quite it -- if your goal is to insert full images inline in your WTW post.

On this Photobucket page it lists various ways to share images, and I think you want to use the one called "IMG code", since it says: "Use this to embed your photo or video on bulletin boards and forums..."

("IMG" is the same HTML element that the Image tool in the WTW toolbar creates.)

OK, I just tried it myself, and that's it -- use the IMG option, copy it.
See the screen-grab below, click where the red arrow points and it copies what you need to copy.
Photobucket-1.jpg
Then just paste it into your post. That's what I did to insert the image of the creature above.

Thanks, I'll give it another try after dinner, thanks for your patience. That creature is a Bat Eared Fox.

Back
Top Bottom