The Wildlife Photography Thread

Thanks, guys. :)
Not being much of a birder, when I saw these birds I first thought "Huh -- what kind of hawk is that? Something rare in these parts??" I opened up the iBird app on my phone, used the "Birds Around Me" GPS feature, and searched on "hawk". That wasn't quite enough since none of the "cover photos" matched these guys' appearance...but I when I clicked on the Cooper's entry I saw an image of the juvenile, and I figured it out.
iBird-Pro_Coopers-Hawk-1.jpg

So, not a rare species...but rare individuals, in a sense, since they spend more time as adults than as juveniles (if they're lucky).

That's cool Mark. On our morning 4 mile walk around our home area we get to see a very big variety of birds.
During the spring when the Red Shoulder Hawks are nesting we get to see them.Even have them come around
the house with the young ones. Lots of fun to watch all the different kinds and what they do.
I'll have to check out that APP.
Frank

Mark, juvenile hawks are often very naive, and that may be why they stuck around when you had the camera out. At Ridgefield NWR, I often am able to drive (auto tour route) within 15 feet of the young red tails, stick a big lens out the window and blaze away. I’ve even had people drive between the hawk and my car without spooking the bird. All that said, I’ve never had an opportunity to get a nice shot of a Cooper’s or Sharp Shin. Nice photography, can I set up my blind in your yard?

FD38A82B-73B4-4DD2-97BD-B08A084922A8.jpeg

Wandering Sagebrush said:
Mark, juvenile hawks are often very naive, and that may be why they stuck around when you had the camera out....
That's an interesting point, WS...and I tentatively came to that same conclusion (based on this "n" of 1).
The photos I shared I took through the glass of my slider, so at that point they may not have really seen me. However, after I took a lot of shots through the glass I opened the door, expecting him to fly off, but he didn't. I walked out on the deck to get at a good angle and he still didn't fly off. It wasn't until I re-positioned myself again that he finally decided I was too froggy to be trusted and he flew off, though not far.

It's too warm right now to keep the slider open most of the day (and most birds and mammals do spook when I open the door)...so through-the-glass backyard photography is a good incentive for me to keep the glass clean!

..can I set up my blind in your yard?
You bet -- If I can borrow one of your lenses. ;)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Mark which Ibird APP do you use?
Frank
I'm using iBird Pro for Android. At $14.99, it's very expensive for a phone app...but it comes with a huge, downloadable database (so it works in the field without cell connection).
If you have an iPhone, here's the comparable iOS version.
I know there are other bird ID apps, but I bought this one several years ago, and I've been happy with it.

MarkBC said:
I'm using iBird Pro for Android. At $14.99, it's very expensive for a phone app...but it comes with a huge, downloadable database (so it works in the field without cell connection).
If you have an iPhone, here's the comparable iOS version.
I know there are other bird ID apps, but I bought this one several years ago, and I've been happy with it.
Thanks Mark I'll have to check it out.
Frank

Thanks Mark I'll have to check it out.
Frank
Frank,
You might already have this free app: Merlin Bird ID by Cornell Lab of Ornithology. I ended up becoming a member because I like the work that they do.

Not ideal photography...but I still wanted to share the subject -- this impressive fella walking through my yard this morning.
I call him "Big Rack jr.", because maybe the late Mr. Big Rack was his dad.

Big-Rack-Jr-4525.jpg

Close crop detail of image above to show the velvet -- and a notch in his right ear that may be useful in future i.d (click to enlarge):
Big-Rack-Jr-4525-2.jpg

Big-Rack-Jr-4533.jpg

Big-Rack-Jr-4537.jpg

Same fella as in this Phone Photo I took 6 weeks ago?

Nice Mark.Keep a close eye on him.
Frank
I hope to, for years to come. If he continues to live in the city/suburbs (to avoid predation by humans) -- and avoids the traffic (which was how Mr Big Rack finally met his end) -- he should live a long and fun life, frolicking with the does.
(once in a while a mountain lion is seen within the city, but the risk to a big buck is likely low)

Back
Top Bottom