Thermal Break Between Frame and Exterior Skin

Gr1bby

Hello!

I am wondering what this is in the attached screenshot from FWC Factory Tour video on youtube.

Is it some sort of thermal break between the frame the exterior skin and the interior panels?

Thanks in advance!

if you can't capture the specific item in the video, then tell us the time mark in the video that we should be looking at.

Sorry folks! I was sure I uploaded the screenshot. Anyway…the time in the video is 04:39. Thanks!

Tip for anyone viewing the video: If you click on the 'Watch on YouTube' button, you can then move the video forward or backward a frame at a time to get the best view. Use the period key ( . ) to go forward and the comma key ( , ) to go backward. (Also-- you can use the J key to jump back 10 seconds, the L key to jump forward 10 seconds, and the < and > keys to slow down or speed up playback)

(That works for me on my Mac laptop running the Chrome browser. If it doesn't work for you, see this article for other methods.)

I am not aware of any thermal break between the Aluminum skin and the Aluminum frame. Indeed, the metal fasteners that hold the skin to the frame would defeat that. If there were a thermal break I would expect a thin non-conductive tape or equivalent on the side of the frame members facing the siding.

What I think you are seeing in the video at 4:39 is the edge of the foam panel insulation (more like styrofoam) around the exposed edges of the window cutout and which is installed in the gaps between the Aluminum frame members and sandwiched by the aluminum siding and the interior thin wood panel in the wall and ceiling.

I hope this is helpful,

Craig

I’ve always assumed the smooth siding on my Grandby is attached using some version of 3M high adhesion double sided foam tape. That would provide a level of insulation, but is probably secondary to just keeping the siding on.

[SIZE=10.5pt]My ignorance what exactly is a "thermal break"....are you referring to insulation between the inner and outer surfaces of a FWC...ostensibly, the white foam between the aluminum frame members?[/SIZE]

Jon R said:
He’s wondering if there is any insulation between the exterior siding and the aluminum frame.

Interesting...begs the question how much of the interior is exposed to frame as opposed to areas between frame [with insulation]...in other words, does the cold sink from the aluminum frame pull out a significant amount of heat from the interior of the FWC. Moot point really, since there is no way to retro insulate between the frame and an exterior surface.

I distinguish between a thermal break and insulation. They perform similar roles but usually a thermal break is thin and not used for insulating a volume. Also the material used are typically different (say rubber or some kind of plastic for thermal break and foam or fibreglass batts for insulation)

A thermal break is a non thermal conducting material placed between two thermal conducting materials and used to inhibit the flow of thermal energy. It is often thin (<<1/2 inch thick).

Insulation is used to fill a volume with non-thermal conducting material to inhibit heat flow, usually it is thick (> 1 inch thick).

I am talking about terrestrial building and vehicle or ship applications. Space is different.

II hope this is helpful.

Craig

What you are seeing is the sealing putty that is used around the windows and and door openings.

"does the cold sink from the aluminum frame pull out a significant amount of heat from the interior of the FWC."

Absolutely. But considering the heat loss through the soft sides and the windows, heat loss from the frame must be minimal. On my old camper, the cab extension had a lot of bare metal. Spray contact glue and felt cloth helps to insulate, especially when your skin contacts it in the middle of the night.

Back
Top Bottom