thermal pack

tree

anybody try making their own thermal pack yet? I see the Velcro along the top of the inside of my hawk. I can get 15 foot rolls of Velcro. and use insulated window
thermal liner?

Hello Tree

There is a very detailed thread about making ones own.....maybe search thermal pack in all forums.

DavidGraves

I made one last year, pretty straightforward if you have a decent sewing machine. I just made separate panels that simply velcro to the top strip.

thank for the tips. i did do a search after starting this thread. and found some ideas. we do a have a good sewing machine. with 2 daughters and a wife im sure we can get it done. but they tell me they need a special needle. i got lazy on the curtains and didnt sew the velcro yet. getting reflectix tommorrow, and 2 rolls of velcro. will use a material later when they feel like sewing. i have a week long trip in 3 weeks, so reflectrix will work for now.

I've thought that it might be fun to try making one out of wool blankets. Something along the lines of an old army blanket only maybe tan colored. Add some insulation value as well as the air pocket. Might cut down on condensation some.

I bought reflectix last night. 24"x25' waiting on 30'x2" Velcro today. weekend project. with indoor/outdoor thermometer. this will be a temp fix for feb camp trip.

The friends who made their own have the wtw handle "exmx_racer".

They haven't written a post yet and said it was ok to PM them for feedback.

Adding an Edit

Made from "Ski's" instructions

I used the Arctic Pack in my Fleet a few times but decided to remove it. Much easier to wipe up condensation without the extra layer.

Considering a Reflectix layer (or two) for the outside. Light weight and hopefully no more difficult to install and remove than heavier inside insulating layers.

I installed reflectix over the weekend. easy install, easy to store. had inside/outside thermeters, but it wasnt cold enough outside to do a real time test. will test later in week with door closed.

Porkface said:
Considering a Reflectix layer (or two) for the outside. Light weight and hopefully no more difficult to install and remove than heavier inside insulating layers.
As some folks have pointed out in other threads, the main value in using Reflectix to keep a camper warm is reflecting infrared radiant heat back into the interior space. It's better at reflecting radiant heat than it is at retarding heat conduction. For that reason, it works best if the Reflectix is on the inside of the vinyl, with nothing over the inside face of the Reflectix.

The Reflectix web site has some interesting reading on how it works. According to that web site, using two layers of Reflectix only has a marginal increase in performance if you don't have an air space between the two layers.

NRVhawk said:
As some folks have pointed out in other threads, the main value in using Reflectix to keep a camper warm is reflecting infrared radiant heat back into the interior space. It's better at reflecting radiant heat than it is at retarding heat conduction. For that reason, it works best if the Reflectix is on the inside of the vinyl, with nothing over the inside face of the Reflectix.

The Reflectix web site has some interesting reading on how it works. According to that web site, using two layers of Reflectix only has a marginal increase in performance if you don't have an air space between the two layers.
I read that about two layers but didn't investigate further to see how much air space is enough for better insulating between the two layers. Should be easy to add some kind of spacers (thin strips of Reflectix?) to create a few millimeters of air space, much thicker spacers may be too bulky for storage. I'll have to research it some more.

Back
Top Bottom