Thermostat Failure 2015 Hawk

Having spent some time poking around the insides of my heater and hot water heater, I have been less than impressed with the design and workmanship. But more importantly, the designs are all straight out of the 1970's - single speed fans, single output burners, no diagnostics for when things go awry and the water heater is directly exposed to the outside of the camper, which can be a problem in cold weather. Modern furnaces have come a long way with the variable heat output levels, variable fan speeds and digital controls that monitor and diagnose the system.

The Truma has 3 heat levels, variable fan speed, digital controls with built in diagnosis etc. Combining the furnace and hot water heater saves a bunch of space and weight. Probably the best feature of the Truma is the multi stage output - the Attwood is a little bit loud, and cycles on an off all night when it is cold out with pretty large temperature swings that can wake me up. With the Truma, it runs on high when you first warm up the camper, but then it switches to a low burner setting and fan speed to maintain the temperature with near silent operation. If you have electricity it will also work as both a heater and water heater off AC power.

In general it seems that RVs/Campers in Europe are a little less mass market and not built to the lowest dollar per square foot specification, leading to more modern and better designed equipment and campers. Much of the higher end camper equipment (Truma, Victron, Propex, Seitz etc) comes out of the European camper market. Given the premium we pay for FWC campers it is nice to see they are switching to some premium components (Blue Sea electrical, marine grade outside ports etc), but it would also be nice to see them ditch the last of the 'RV' grade systems.

We should keep educating ourselves about better alternatives & we all should all ask vendors to make those better alternatives available. Demand from customers drives most vendors to make improvements to their products.

I’m ready to replace my power hungry Dometic fridge with something better. Would already have happened if I could find a replacement unit that didn’t mandate significant remodeling.

Paul

I have a 2010 Hawk. I despised the analog thermostat that came with the camper (too hard to read the selected temperature and too much hysteresis in setting temperature). So I replaced it with a digital White Rodgers model 1F85-0422. This has a battery and the thermostat doesn't use any camper power to operate (so if the thermostat is on but the furnace is not running the thermostat doesn't use any camper power). I like being able to dial in an exact known temperature and punch it up or down with the button. Just as someone else mentioned I can reach down from the bed and hit the up button five times to raise the temperature by 5 degrees before I get out of bed. It also has a programmable feature so you could have the temperature increase automatically at a certain time if you know when you are getting up.
Good luck,
Dave

I haven't had an issue with the digital thermostat in our '15 Hawk. I like the digital unit for all the same user-friendly reasons Rando mentioned

I did have to replace the potted circuit board on the furnace last spring. Amazon shipped it General Delivery to the Prescott, AZ Post Office. Super easy, fast install.

I carry some extra T-Stat units for the furnace. Relatively inexpensive and available at most RV dealers or supply stores.

So I'll be the contrarian here. I was more-or-less pleased with the digital thermostat in my 2015 Hawk flatbed. (It seemed to work better with less wild temp swings when I spaced it out a 1/4" from the cabinet.)

But now with my 2018 Grandby the manual thermostat apparently has crapped out and I con only get the furnace to kick on by bypassing the thermostat. Denny Saunders says the manual thermostats just don't fail. Trust me to prove Denny wrong!

Advmoto18 said:
I haven't had an issue with the digital thermostat in our '15 Hawk. I like the digital unit for all the same user-friendly reasons Rando mentioned

I did have to replace the potted circuit board on the furnace last spring. Amazon shipped it General Delivery to the Prescott, AZ Post Office. Super easy, fast install.

I carry some extra T-Stat units for the furnace. Relatively inexpensive and available at most RV dealers or supply stores.

A favor...can you please post the model of your furnace and the listing on Amazon where you ordered the circuit board? And "T-Stat"?

Might well be worth carrying back-ups.

Thanks...Phil

I gave up on thermostats (both digital and manual) a long time ago on my Eagle! I camp in very cold weather and the battery voltage was always a problem. Also, I don't run the heater while I sleep. So, I just installed a switch and a bright red "On/Off" LED. Never had a problem since. See arrow on attached picture.

Attachments

• HeaterSwitch.jpg
    HeaterSwitch.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 98
We operate in a similar way mentioned in a couple of posts...the Honeywell thermostat has a slider "on/off" switch and I will pre-set the temp to 55 degrees and then turn off the furnace. Then turn it on just before getting up for a couple of mins to heat up the Hawk before I get up to make our coffee..

It is simple to slide the switch from "off" to "on" from the bed and only takes perhaps five mins for the camper to become warm...saves propane and saves batteries....making coffee even with the over stove roof vent and window behind stove open to vent gases from stove adds more heat to the camper...this has worked fine when night time temps are in low 20s....

We also leave the door to the water pump open to add heat to that area and if needed [temps in teens] heat up the 6 gallons in the hot water tank before going to bed then turn it off to add some additional heat [even though the hot water tank is insulated] to the plumbing..

We have a remote thermometer sender in the water pump/plumbing cabinet. The receiver is kept in the cabinet above the side dinette and displays the temps in the pump cabinet and in the main area of the camper...

Not perfect but it works for us.

Phil

Wallowa, the leaving the water pump door open to get some heat in there to prevent from freezing is a dang good idea!!

Thanks For Sharing!

Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:06 AM

Advmoto18, on 07 Oct 2018 - 04:59 AM, said:
Advmoto18 said:

A favor...can you please post the model of your furnace and the listing on Amazon where you ordered the circuit board? And "T-Stat"?

Thanks...Phil

On carrying backups. My AAA batteries went dead on my thermostat this week, I did have spares. Would have been very cold, 26 degrees at Convict Lake.

Wallowa said:
Posted 07 October 2018 - 08:06 AM

Advmoto18, on 07 Oct 2018 - 04:59 AM, said:

Thanks...Phil
Phil

Here is the potted circuit board I ordered from Amazon while on the road. $$$$$
I don't carry a backup due to price. It's pretty easy to have Amazon ship to a PO (General Delivery) or shop near your location.

ECO/T-Stat kits are not as expensive and available at any RV dealer/store, ie., Camping World. Can be ordered from Amazon as well.
I do carry a backup kit.

When the furnace fails, I first check the the flame tube (not sure of the actual term) for debris. If no help, I swap out the ECO/T-Stat. If no help, the potted circuit board is the only thing left to swap out. Of course, this assumes you are getting gas to the unit.

Bill

billharr said:
On carrying backups. My AAA batteries went dead on my thermostat this week, I did have spares. Would have been very cold, 26 degrees at Convict Lake.
Bill...

AA
AAA
CR123s
Costco batteries for my hearing aides

Multiple backups for all the above. Generally, 2 is 1 and 1 is none. With batteries, I start at 6 is 5 and 5 is 4....well you get the idea LOL!

Bill

Advmoto18 said:
Phil

Here is the potted circuit board I ordered from Amazon while on the road. $$$$$
I don't carry a backup due to price. It's pretty easy to have Amazon ship to a PO (General Delivery) or shop near your location.

ECO/T-Stat kits are not as expensive and available at any RV dealer/store, ie., Camping World. Can be ordered from Amazon as well.
I do carry a backup kit.

When the furnace fails, I first check the the flame tube (not sure of the actual term) for debris. If no help, I swap out the ECO/T-Stat. If no help, the potted circuit board is the only thing left to swap out. Of course, this assumes you are getting gas to the unit.

Bill

Thank you...I go lost on that...thought you got the board for a "furnace" mentioned in your original post...I assumed space forced air heater...but this board is for a hot water heater...all good....

Phil

Wallowa said:
Thank you...I go lost on that...thought you got the board for a "furnace" mentioned in your original post...I assumed space forced air heater...but this board is for a hot water heater...all good....

Phil
Sorry Phil...

I had an AARP moment. Indeed for the hot water/failure I experienced. Never had an issue with the forced air furnace.

Sorry for the confusion I created!

Bill

Advmoto18 said:
Sorry Phil...

I had an AARP moment. Indeed for the hot water/failure I experienced. Never had an issue with the forced air furnace.

Sorry for the confusion I created!

Bill

Bill...trust me...the confusion is in my head....appreciate your information....and I am too old for AARP ;)

Phil

billharr said:
Please be sure to carry an extra 9 volt for your smoke detector as well. It is much better to stop the chirp by changing the battery than risking a night sleeping without it.

If memory serves, which is variable, they originally switched to digital because customers wanted something they could set to just above freezing. The digital models went lower than the analog style. They switched back to reduce customer complaints on battery problems.

I have never had a problem with my digital. The sarcastic part of me wants to say that those with problems just didn't turn the furnace on soon enough ;0)

Back
Top Bottom