Three Nevada Ghost Towns - June 2020

Thanks for another interesting trip!

I've been to Marietta before and to Candelaria earlier this year. I wish I could have seen Candelaria before the later mining operation erased a lot of it.

Another interesting (to me) part of the story is the Candelaria water pipeline, which brought gravity-fed water 27 miles from a canyon in the White Mountains. They used a really interesting spiral-wound riveted iron pipe. I've found remnants of the pipe in four places, two by accident. They buried the pipeline deep but still had big problems with it freezing in the severe winters.

From the intersection of US6 and NV360 in Nevada, if you look Northeast you can (barely) see a faint dirt track climbing the side of a ridge. This is where the pipe climbed out of the valley. There is an old 2-track road across the valley that was driveable a few years ago, and you can hike to the top of the ridge and see sections of the old pipeline laying around. I've also followed most of the path of the line on Google Earth.

Hope it's ok to post this on your thread!

It is absolutely okay, Corey. The more history the better. Yes, I'm aware of the pipeline. I'm always reminded that in the West, "Whiskey's for drinking and water's for fighting over." Thanks for your additions.

CoreyTrevor said:
I was guessing you guys knew of the pipeline, but I thought there might be others that would be interested also.

Thanks!
You bet! You've even got the Lady and me back scouring Google Earth looking for signs of the pipeline. :)

The C&C Railroad also transported tank cars of water to try and meet the need. So much history to delve into.

It crosses the 6 at 38° 0.943'N 118° 14.568'W, on GE. Just my observations but it looks like a buried pipeline to me!

And in the 2012 photo, you can see what looks like a piece of the pipe in the wash just before the road starts up the steep hillside.

Edit: just noticed you can also see a bunch of pipe sections at the top of the climb, to the left of the road just before a patch of trees.

I figured you'd be driven out eventually. I learned a long time ago, never argue with a horse person.

Great post on your trip experience! Pics are awesome as usual and detailed explanations are much appreciated. These posts are very educational for this Midwesterner. Thanks for the ride along! :)

Ski thanks for the history.
Sorry to hear about the Mothers Day fiasco.
I just don't understand people and the Coronavirus and how deadly
it is.Oh well that's for another time.
Us we're staying safe and away from "all the maddening crowds".
Great fun history.
Frank

craig333 said:
I figured you'd be driven out eventually. I learned a long time ago, never argue with a horse person.

Oh, the stories about what we've seen we could tell..........................

WjColdWater said:
Great post on your trip experience! Pics are awesome as usual and detailed explanations are much appreciated. These posts are very educational for this Midwesterner. Thanks for the ride along! :)
You are most welcome and thank you for the nice comment! :)

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Ski thanks for the history.
Sorry to hear about the Mothers Day fiasco.
I just don't understand people and the Coronavirus and how deadly
it is.Oh well that's for another time.
Us we're staying safe and away from "all the maddening crowds".
Great fun history.
Frank
Thanks Frank, you are always kind! :)

Here’s where the pipeline begins. 37.916767°N 118.286031°W and indeed it does cross US6 at the same coordinates mentioned by a fellow poster.

Here’s some exposed pipe from google earth. 37.946614°N 118.277442°W · 1.36 mi

Back
Top Bottom