Tire and suspension air bag pressure for a Frontier with Fleet?

whynot

We have had our camper for six months and are pretty happy with it. However, it feels a bit more bouncy than I think it should. If you have a similar rig I would be very interested in knowing what air pressures you find optimal. Thanks!

whynot said:
We have had our camper for six months and are pretty happy with it. However, it feels a bit more bouncy than I think it should. If you have a similar rig I would be very interested in knowing what air pressures you find optimal. Thanks!
Hmm, I have just found a great thread on tire pressure on this site so now I just need thoughts/recommendations on suspension air bags.

I have a 2008 Frontier with a ATC Bobcat shell. Cooper E rated tires. 45 lbs front, 55 lbs rear. Airbags at 40 lbs left (furnace/propane side, so heavier), 35 lbs right.

It seems to ride good. I set the air bag pressure by what it takes to bring the rear tire clearance back to what it would be unloaded.

whynot said:
Hmm, I have just found a great thread on tire pressure on this site so now I just need thoughts/recommendations on suspension air bags.

Not exactly the same,but similar.
I have a 2002 Tundra AC TRD 4X4 with a full Bobcat.
Firestone air bags and 265 75 R16 D rated tires.
I keep 40# front 45# rear and 30# left airbag 20# right airbag.
This works well for me.
I also keep a eye on the center tread wear to see if I am
over/under inflated.
Frank

I have a Frontier King Cab with an Eagle. BFG KO2 tires at 42 front 50 rear. Air down when on rough 4x4 roads. The E rated tires make a huge difference. Air bags set at 60 left, 45 right. This was what it took to bring the height up to what it was without the camper - although this was with regular tires - haven't done that with the KO2's (probably should), but that air pressure works well. Hardly any bounce at all and feels very stable.

I usually keep about 35-40 pounds in the Boss air bags on our 2012 Tacoma Extracab with FWC Fleet. If you're using similar pressure and still feeling a lot of bouncing, the problem could be with your shock absorbers rather than the bags and springs. The suspension shouldn't cycle (bounce) more than once or twice over a bump. If it's pogoing, that indicates a lack of shock control.

Thank you all for your input; much appreciated. We had BFG KO2 tires installed yesterday and they set pressures at 50psi. (they replaced P-rated tires) Already it is handling much better, so we will now tinker with adjustments.
Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom