Tire chains..... annnnnd go!

northshorehenry

Advanced Member
Took the FWC up a retired but maintained forestry road with snow. The road report by the ski club that maintains it called for mandatory chains. Boy, am I glad I decided to try the chains on the new truck (chains that I owned from the previous truck). Soooooo.....I found out while I am still in my driveway that my previous tires were 31.5" and the new truck has 33". :) Happy to realize I have 33s but sad to realize I have to replace my chains.

Sooo....now that I have a one ton plus the camper on the back. I am thinking I would like a more robust chain. Although I like the idea of v-bar chains, they are not class "s" rated so I think I will skip them. I am assuming that cable Z chains are not robust enough for my one ton plus FWC on the back. So that leaves me with ladder chains. I am narrowing it down to non-twisted, cam-ed, ladder chains.

What are your experiences so far?

If I need chains, I ski or walk. Had enough of messing around with those things during my logging years.

Look at options on tirechains.com I went with one of the diamond pattern ones for my F350 w/ Hallmark I've only put them on once, to make sure they fit and checking clearances. Got a few funny looks driving around the neighborhood. I'm hoping to never have to use them in anger and that they were a waste of money, but...like insurance, there if you need 'em

Bad Habit said:
Look at options on tirechains.com I went with one of the diamond pattern ones for my F350 w/ Hallmark I've only put them on once, to make sure they fit and checking clearances. Got a few funny looks driving around the neighborhood. I'm hoping to never have to use them in anger and that they were a waste of money, but...like insurance, there if you need 'em
Also mandatory under some conditions we have here in Ca.
I carry them for all cars don't even want to use them,but if the "snow police" put up the chain required sign R1/R2/R3 you better have them.Don't want to pay the fine if caught not having them on. I was told that you can be fined for every "sign" you pass.
That can add up.
Yea hate to put out the $100+ for a set,especially for my 4X4 but,better safe than sorry.
Frank

Only been forced to chain up once and that was when I was towing. Still I carry em just in case.

For my 2015 Silverado 2500 4X4, the old chains wouldn't work. I had a bad past experience with cables while towing a trailer over the Donner Summit. They broke apart and did some damage to my last truck. The ones on the trailer also broke. I wanted chains for this truck that I could use while towing if necessary. I went to Les Schwab and they let me try the chains on in the parking lot to be sure they would fit before I bought them. I liked being able to look at the chains, and make sure they would work, before spending the money. Unfortunately, there is not enough clearance to put chains or cables (I don't think) on the front. I don't remember what brand I bought, but they appear to be good quality. I have not had to use them yet on this truck.

On my new truck, with 20" wheels, they recommend not using chains at all. My local tire guys said that Kevlar tire socks are legal, but they won't stand up to repeated hard use. He also said this is what the CHP uses(?).

Since I have a little Ford Ranger with two sets of chains, that's going to be my vehicle for wandering the snowy lands.

Casa Escarlata Robles Too said:
Also mandatory under some conditions we have here in Ca.
I carry them for all cars don't even want to use them,but if the "snow police" put up the chain required sign R1/R2/R3 you better have them.Don't want to pay the fine if caught not having them on. I was told that you can be fined for every "sign" you pass.
Here in WA they are a bit ambiguous on whether the requirements are just for commercial vehicles, although the wording does say all, their placement diagrams only depict commercial trucks. There are various road segments/passes that it is required to have chains with you from Nov 1 to Apr 1 no matter what, plus a spare set. Sometimes they word it as required on vehicles over 10k GVWR, and other times just GVW.

When they say "Traction Tires Required", chains are required on all vehicles with a GVWR over 10k, including passenger trucks and SUVs. Yet when it's "Tire Chains Required" 4 wheel drive and AWD vehicles are exempted (with a caveat that in extreme conditions it could be required on those vehicles ).

Bottom line, I carry chains (although I don't have the 3rd as an extra set)

In practice if 4x4 and snow tires aren't enough they'll just close the road until conditions improve.

I carry thick "ladder" chains. I have only had to use them several times but when I needed them I absolutely needed them.

I have a 93 Dodge Ram Diesel 4x4 3/4 ton. I ski often at Mammoth Mtn and use my truck to drive from the Santa Barbara area there and back. In over 10 years of driving to and from Mammoth I have never had to use chains. I have had to use fwd many times, one time from Mohave all the way to Mammoth. However, I always carry chains none the less.

I did go exploring east of Mammoth one year and needed fwd plus chains to get through an unplowed section of a graded dirt road. The snow was about 2 - 3 feet deep. I turned around when it got over 3 feet deep and looked to be getting deeper (I was heading for a pass and stopped short of it).. No sense pushing things and getting stuck.

;-)

Usually I only have my shell on my truck when I go to Mammoth.

ckent323 said:
I have a 93 Dodge Ram Diesel 4x4 3/4 ton. I ski often at Mammoth Mtn and use my truck to drive from the Santa Barbara area there and back. In over 10 years of driving to and from Mammoth I have never had to use chains. I have had to use fwd many times, one time from Mohave all the way to Mammoth. However, I always carry chains none the less.

I did go exploring east of Mammoth one year and needed fwd plus chains to get through an unplowed section of a graded dirt road. The snow was about 2 - 3 feet deep. I turned around when it got over 3 feet deep and looked to be getting deeper (I was heading for a pass and stopped short of it).. No sense pushing things and getting stuck.

;-)
The time you were at Mammoth, did you have your camper on the back?

Just FYI, on a California road under chain control you are required to have chains in your vehicle. Here is the text -

If I have 4-wheel-drive, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. Even though weather conditions may not warrant the use of chains on 4-wheel-drive vehicles at a particular time, to enter a chain control area, you must have a set of chains (for one drive axle) for your vehicle in your possession. If conditions worsen or you have trouble controlling your vehicle, you must stop and install the chains.

The source is here -

http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/traffops/trucks/ops-guide/chains.htm#fourwheel

Also note that if your truck is commercial and over 6500 lbs. gross weight you need to install chains whenever chain controls are posted.

If I have snow tires on a heavy-duty commercial vehicle, do I need to carry chains?
Yes. There is no exemption for heavy-duty commercial vehicles (over 6,500 pounds gross weight) equipped with snow tires. Chains must be installed on heavy-duty commercial vehicles whenever chain controls are posted.

You are required to carry chains in Oregon in "snow zones" and they do not close the roads as quickly as they do in some other areas (i.e., California). I drove on Hwy 97 south of Bend just before Thanksgiving and there were multiple accidents, a vehicle on its side and near white-out conditions. The highway remained open until it became overly congested with emergency and recovery vehicles.

I have Laclede tire chains, purchased through Schawbies. I have two sets, front and rear. If I remember right, one set is ladder with v-bar, the other is standard ladder. I haven't "needed" chains, but have limited slips front and rear. I have chains as part of my recovery kit (chains, traction devices, chain saw, etc.).

Ace! said:
You are required to carry chains in Oregon in "snow zones" and they do not close the roads as quickly as they do in some other areas (i.e., California). I drove on Hwy 97 south of Bend just before Thanksgiving and there were multiple accidents, a vehicle on its side and near white-out conditions. The highway remained open until it became overly congested with emergency and recovery vehicles.

I have Laclede tire chains, purchased through Schawbies. I have two sets, front and rear. If I remember right, one set is ladder with v-bar, the other is standard ladder. I haven't "needed" chains, but have limited slips front and rear. I have chains as part of my recovery kit (chains, traction devices, chain saw, etc.).
So no preference or enough experience between v-bar versus standard ladder chain?

Based on the construction of the chains I wouldn't use the v-bar on a paved surface. I bought the chains specifically for off road use. I used to use Laclede Alpine Sport chains (I think that's what they are called). They are a diamond pattern and SAE compliant. They work great, but again, the ladder type I bought were specifically for off road (and the legality of having to carry chains as I live in a snow zone).

Vbar chains are for ice and ride extra horrible. They also destroy pavement if you spin the tires. I used to use chains a bit on my 2wd's. I also chain up all my snow removal stuff like my tractor and snow blower. Chains tend to come 2 link and 4 link in the ladder style. This is the number of links between the cross chains. 2 link chains have twice as many cross chains. They ride better and provide better traction. Worth the little higher cost.

Chains can also be a life saver in mud.

I have a 20+ year old set of cable chains. Purchased for my old '77 Blazer, resized to fit my Tundra. I used to snow ski a lot and the chains have still never been used. Thought I was going to use them one day going skiing on Hwy 108, saw the R3 requirement go up as I got to the Caltrans truck. Told him I had chains and would pull over and chain up. He said wait a minute as his radio went off. Was told not to bother with the chains the road was closing.

I have ladder chains as well and use them maybe once a year, usually just to get out of my gravel driveway. Yeah, they are a bit of a pain to deal with, but not as much of a pain as being stuck or slipping toward the house. The standard ladder chain has always done the job for me, and be sure to get tensioners, too, even if you have cams on the chains.

Back
Top Bottom